Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this. I also had my first idle fee warning at no fault of mine. Parked and plugged in, then went to get something quick to eat. Received a notification on the app that charging had stopped but no explanation. Started my walk back immediately. The on-screen notification said it was a “high use” location and that basically I should go away and return at a slower time. Thing is, not all the spots were in use — only 7/10. I know that charging speeds slow when more than half the spots are taken but If it fails at 7 users, then there should not be 10 spots available. Not my fault it stopped charging and obviously I was not taking up a usable station.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
Reviving this. I also had my first idle fee warning at no fault of mine. Parked and plugged in, then went to get something quick to eat. Received a notification on the app that charging had stopped but no explanation. Started my walk back immediately. The on-screen notification said it was a “high use” location and that basically I should go away and return at a slower time. Thing is, not all the spots were in use — only 7/10. I know that charging speeds slow when more than half the spots are taken but If it fails at 7 users, then there should not be 10 spots available. Not my fault it stopped charging and obviously I was not taking up a usable station.
You're not in trouble, there is no fault. You gotta look at the cues and work the system. I am betting the high use location limited the charge percent and you did not take note of it. I bet it limited it to 80%. When it reached the limit it stopped as expected but you weren't there. You can pass Go, this time.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Ciaopec
Really doesn't matter how many spots are in use at a high use location: you'll be limited to 80%. If you read the fine print it also says you can manually adjust upwards if needed. Idle fees apply because half the spots were in use and that part holds at any location for idle fees; high use or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Really doesn't matter how many spots are in use at a high use location: you'll be limited to 80%. If you read the fine print it also says you can manually adjust upwards if needed. Idle fees apply because half the spots were in use and that part holds at any location for idle fees; high use or not.
You're not in trouble, there is no fault. You gotta look at the cues and work the system. I am betting the high use location limited the charge percent and you did not take note of it. I bet it limited it to 80%. When it reached the limit it stopped as expected but you weren't there. You can pass Go, this time.
Right, no harm done this time, but a warning that you can get idle fees even if charging fails due to technical or electrical problems at the charging location. In this case, I was way way below 80 percent (27%). Tesla only seems to know that you are plugged in and there is no current flowing to your vehicle.
When I returned, I unplugged, then plugged in again. After about 4 minutes it started charging (slowly) then stalled again until two cars left.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056