Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If ford made the bronco an ev would it sell like mad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
I see a ton of these new broncos here driving around with 40 -50 yr old owners in them..same with rubicon jeep: its like the new tough guy wanna be car-and they styling of the bronco scrams EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV....so forget the lightning f150 they should just make the bronco an ev and these same people will buy them over the ice i bet

it has terrible aerodynamics, which is very important for an EV. Don't think it's a good application. Battery size needed would be huge.

The Rivian is the closest, and I don't think they can make that cost-competitive. 135 kWh, more battery than the EQS or Model S which sell for $100K or more.

Bronco is really popular because it's $30-40k. This sort of off-road truck is the best application for ICE and worst for EV. These people want to go camping in far back woods Montana or so where even fuel stations are rare, much less DCFC.

EVs shine when people drive many miles on-road near infrastructure and the electricity cost savings vs gasoline make up for the battery costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
it has terrible aerodynamics, which is very important for an EV. Don't think it's a good application. Battery size needed would be huge.

The Rivian is the closest, and I don't think they can make that cost-competitive. 135 kWh, more battery than the EQS or Model S which sell for $100K or more.

Bronco is really popular because it's $30-40k. This sort of off-road truck is the best application for ICE and worst for EV. These people want to go camping in far back woods Montana or so where even fuel stations are rare, much less DCFC.

EVs shine when people drive many miles on-road near infrastructure and the electricity cost savings vs gasoline make up for the battery costs.
Electric pickup trucks are very inefficient too but they're still being built.

For this type of vehicle with todays battery technology I'd say the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xE is where it's at.

Sure it's not a pure EV, but it also doesn't weigh a huge amount.

I have a regular Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Moab edition), and a Rivian R1T.

They're both awesome vehicles, but I wish I could get the R1T technology in the Wrangler Unlimited form factor. For me its not just the size that's important, but also the open top.

Rivian was supposed to release information on an open top R1T option back in June, but they never did.