Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Tesla Company Ever Closes, Will There Be Support For Us Buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the company does not survive?

I am not sure which forum to post this.

I hate to ever even ask but what happens if Tesla as a company doesn't survive? Is there some protection we have as buyers that will offer service/warrany/repairs for some time in the future?

I hate to ever even ask but what happens if Tesla as a company doesn't survive? Is there some protection we have as buyers that will offer service/warrany/repairs for some time in the future?

I think that this case is not even to be considered. Tesla did the right choice to build only electric cars because future cars will be electric. All car brands in the world are investing on electric cars and Tesla is far ahead of all car brands because has invested more than others on Research and Development on this subject.
So I think that Tesla buyers have nothing to worry about their investment.

I like everyone else are betting big the company survives, you too, to the tune of a 100k automobile, if I thought for a minute Tesla would cease to exist in 2 yrs I would still buy the S. The technology is outstanding and the type of leap that will spur on imitations, I also own a 26 year old Bluebird motor home that I put 8k on last year. Just like Bluebird going out of business the online BB owners forum is probably better than original factory info. There are a lot of smart people in this Tesla boat and an online forum will exist to service, upgrade and maintain this outstanding venture, no fear here, why would you want to miss such a once in a lifetime opportunity, remember LIFE IS SHORT AND MONEY IS ONLY PAPER WITH PICTURES PRINTED ON IT. IMHO. :wink: Robert

Hard to imagine that it could come to that, given the company's momentum, the quality of the executive team, and the integrity of the product. This might have been a better question to ask three years ago, when people first started putting deposits down on the Model S.

In any event, with thousands of vehicles in the field, I'm sure we'll see all sorts of third-party services popping up—especially after warranties begin expiring.

I think it is more likely than not that Tesla will succeed, but I am cognizant of the possibility that any new startup can fail.

My guess is that if Tesla were to go bankrupt, another automaker would step in to buy the company's assets, and operate it as a subsidiary. There's a lot of valuable stuff in Tesla: intellectual property, employee talent, and robots and tooling. I suspect that service/warranty/repairs would continue so long as Tesla wasn't liquidated.

I am not sure which forum to ppost this.

Well, as Forbes pointed out: Tesla is now the 2nd oldest car company in the United States behind Ford. Chevy and Chrysler both went bankrupt. They still manage to get service on their vehicles. Granted, Tesla is a little more unique, but I'm sure someone would continue. Look how long people drove the first Rav4 EV. Many are still on the road.

I am not sure which forum to ppost this.

mod note: I see you posted the same question in two separate sections on the website. We will merge them but try and keep threads that you start about the same topic in one thread if possible. Thanks.

No one ever got rich betting against Elon Musk. I'm not particularly worried. I'd be way more worried if I bought a GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

And I'd bet there are more than a few people who thought that way about buying a Roadster. Yes, the MS is new, but Tesla has been around for ten years and has some pretty big partners (Toyota and MB). Even under the most dire scenario, there would be tens of thousands of cars needing service and someone would do it. I personally, am more worried about an earthquake in Fremont, so does anyone know where the closest fault is?

Meanwhile I'll just go outside and watch for asteroids!

I personally, am more worried about an earthquake in Fremont, so does anyone know where the closest fault is?

This is the information you want (or don't want) to know.
Hayward Fault Scenario Earthquakes

A short excerpt:
Because the past five large earthquakes on the Hayward fault have been about 140 years apart, the Hayward and Rodgers Creek faults are the most likely faults to produce a large earthquake in the Bay Area.

I agree with others that if Tesla couldn't pay the bills, they would be bought up by another company (such as Toyota, probably) But even if the worst case were to happen and they were liquidated, I would think you would still be able to get some parts and service from independents. That will depend greatly on how many vehicles they manage to produce before going bankrupt. If it is 40,000 vehicles, then I'm sure somebody will step up to support them. If they go bankrupt tomorrow, well... that could be a problem.

I really want Tesla to succeed but the possibility always exists. I believe if that were to happen, the cars already built would become collectible items. In a few years when more cars "leave" the road due to accidents and other reasons, those still on the road would be more valuable.

This is the information you want (or don't want) to know.
Hayward Fault Scenario Earthquakes

A short excerpt:
Because the past five large earthquakes on the Hayward fault have been about 140 years apart, the Hayward and Rodgers Creek faults are the most likely faults to produce a large earthquake in the Bay Area.

I am also concerned that a major earthquake is the biggest existential threat to Tesla. A quake that disrupts production could damage cash flow to the point where the company cannot sustain its operations.

Does anyone know how resistant the Tesla Factory building (former NUMMI) is to earthquakes? I'm pretty sure that Toyota, the former Japanese co-developer of the facility, would not have built the place without major protective measures. Japan is no stranger to big earthquakes.

I am also concerned that a major earthquake is the biggest existential threat to Tesla. A quake that disrupts production could damage cash flow to the point where the company cannot sustain its operations.

Interesting scenario.

With supply chain still intact and tech/workforce around I don't think it would take even a year to recover from complete factory loss. Probably TM would not survive as a company, I mean they go bancrupt or shares would be diluted 90%+. But they survive as a brand for sure. Just like GM survived, even though old shares ended up costing less then toilet paper.

TM might even survive as a company. You see, Fisker was able to raise $100M IIRC few months ago. And Fisker is failure as a brand(quality problems`) and have questionable tech (0-60 performance, MPG etc).

So it should not be a problem for "new" Tesla to raise 1B $$$. And probably start mass production in 12-18 months after factory wipeout. Plus factory most likely insured:smile:

I don't know too much about the East Bays faults and landfill of the bay. Is the land where the factory is built on landfill? That would be the major weakness.

I'm assuming since even the original factory building isn't particularly old, it is probably reasonably earthquake secure. The buildings with the biggest problems are those pre 1930ish? And also land that liquifies pretty easily.

Maybe someone from the East Bay knows more detail on the local soils.