Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you park your car in your driveway where is your home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the longest time my neighbors used to comment that I was the only house that actually parked all our cars in our garage... I thought I offended one of them, when I told them that I never understood people that park their car outside that costs tens of thousands of dollars, so that they can store hundreds of dollars of crap in the garage, lol. Now I noticed a bunch of them cleared the crap out of their garages, haha.
unfortunately, many of my neighbors & co workers do not understand 2 car garage-filled up with junks & still have stuff in the storage. many really don't know exactly what's in there in detail. I told them there's no part or supply change issues but Hoarding pandemic! If one can fix the lifestyle, we don't need to work 24/7-reality hurts!

For the longest time my neighbors used to comment that I was the only house that actually parked all our cars in our garage... I thought I offended one of them, when I told them that I never understood people that park their car outside that costs tens of thousands of dollars, so that they can store hundreds of dollars of crap in the garage, lol. Now I noticed a bunch of them cleared the crap out of their garages, haha.
My shop (never call it a garage) Has 6 work benches, table saw, metal lathe, chop saw, belt sander, pool table, fridge. Pool table and table saw are on wheels, so usually one of the cars spends the winter inside, getting the engine rebuilt or major body work (65 Volvo, 86 Land Cruiser (sadly sold the LC)).

I don't even store a single garden tool or mower in the shop. Total ban on storage.

One neighbor complains all the time that more of us should not park on the street. He even tried to get both sides of the whole block to add a covenant to the neighborhood to ban overnight street parking. Not a single neighbor agreed with him.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My shop (never call it a garage) Has 6 work benches, table saw, metal lathe, chop saw, belt sander, pool table, fridge. Pool table and table saw are on wheels, so usually one of the cars spends the winter inside, getting the engine rebuilt or major body work (65 Volvo, 86 Land Cruiser (sadly sold the LC)).

I don't even store a single garden tool or mower in the shop. Total ban on storage.

One neighbor complains all the time that more of us should not park on the street. He even tried to get both sides of the whole block to add a covenant to the neighborhood to ban overnight street parking. Not a single neighbor agreed with him.
I’m intrigued by a pool table on wheels…. That must make for some interesting games.

I too do NOT park my car in the garage, so I mounted my ChargePoint Flex charger on the side of my garage, right on The other side of the wall from my Electrical box. This Made the running of the line right into my circuit box very easy for the electrician. We have two Teslas and a 2 car driveway. The position is perfect for charging my car backed in, in front of the garage (driver side closest to charger) and my wife’s car pulled in Forward able to charge either car. Often we will move the charger from one car right over to the other during the evening/ morning, before we leave for the day. I didn’t see the point of putting it in the garage if we don’t park a car there.

I also have 2 wall connectors, indoors and outdoors. Ordered the second one after my 1st unit broke down. Figured I have a backup if it ever happens again. Worked out real well as we park outdoors during the summer and presently now we are parked indoors for winter. Both units reach both cars so no issue there. They are setup for power sharing and therefor can use both if required but this has not happened yet.

If using only 1, I would not run it under the door. You will end up with a poor seal and will ruin your garage door seal and eventually the charge cord plus it looks bad. A good option is a passthrough. Install the unit on either an outside or inside wall and run the connector through this. Outside wall are generally rather thick so one on the inside and another on the outside with a short piece of abs tube to connect them would make for a clean install. If one is in real winter climates, a little modification and then insert a split piece of pool noodle into the opening for insulation. Here is an example of one being used for this purpose.
Inn an area with a lot of bugs especially in the summer, do you think the passthrough would still be a good option? Will the pool noodle insert seal it well enough?

I had a 14-50 outlet in a box installed outside my garage, can put a lock on it.
Would you really need a lock? I was paranoid about our charger being on the outside of our garage, until my wife finally convinced me “ do you really think someone is going to pull into OUR Driveway to charge their EV when we’re not home”? LOL. There is now a switch in the ChargePoint app that allows me to “Schedule” charging only during times I would be home.

I have the Nema 14-50 near my front door and a 50 ft extension cord. The electrician wanted 1.1k to do it this way. If I wanted the Nema 14-50 as close as possible to the car so the extension cord would have been 25 ft, they wanted over 2k. It has worked fine.

We have a Juicebox installed on the side of the garage at another home. The vette lives inside the garage with some motorcycles. Getting out of the garage is challenging since it backs a narrow road with a fence behind it. If I had to put the Tesla in this garage, I would not drive it.

Last edited:
For wall connectors, you can enable authorization, such that only the VIN numbers you specify (up to 10) will be able to charge.

I did the 14-50 route, and had one installed inside the garage, and one outside. The outside one is in a lockbox, but I didn't bother with a lock. I just keep the breaker off, unless I'm using it.

For wall connectors, you can enable authorization, such that only the VIN numbers you specify (up to 10) will be able to charge.
I did that to ours to accept only our cars at home. Then Tesla gave me a loaner and I needed to change it back since it would not accept a charge. Left it open to all as where I live the chances of people trying to charge are next to none. It could be a good option for some depending on where the unit is located but I assume the vast majority of people will not use this function.