Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you supercharge everyday will that kill your battery faster ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No degradation.

Charge as much as you want, wherever you want, and don't worry about it.

No, charging does not KILL the battery. So you need not worry about it.

To these and other posts to the same effect.... I ask of you what data you have to support this? I would expect that making claims of little to no degradation while using a supercharger for 100% of charging would have some data to back it up...

The supercharger taper doesn't get below the rate of a HPWC until around 95%, if I recall correctly. So any supercharging between 0 and 95% will be higher power than home charging. Higher power = more heat = more wear on the battery. Simple as that.

As I said previously, Tesla's thermal management is pretty unique and works reasonably well. However the design only has the cooling loop make contact with the cells themselves at one small point on each cell. So, heat has to wick through this point to be taken away by the cooling loop, meaning the entire cell heats substantially and a portion of that heat is able to be taken away, resulting in a lower average for the entire cell.

Based on testing with single cells, under supercharger levels of charging (~1.5C) the cell heats up super fast. Even at 0.5C (42kW) the cell heats up rather quickly. However, at 0.25C (HPWC levels) the cell doesn't heat up hardly at all.

Heat is a key element in degradation, and more heat is generated inside the cells while supercharging. That's just the way it is.

While Tesla's warranty will cover problems with the battery regardless of how you charge the battery warranty explicitly disclaims degradation. (I forget exactly how it's worded in legalese, but it's there.) So, up to you to keep your battery healthy, and supercharging exclusively is not the way to do it.

I purchased my Model S to use it, not specifically to have a never-any-degraded-battery. So my 3-month 12,500mi trip last year used superchargers nearly all the time, except for a couple of RV park stops. My planned 15,000mi 2016 trip will pretty well exclusively use superchargers. I'm of course hoping there won't be a problem with "too much" degradation.

But I also look at it this way. The last time I looked at a Roadster battery thread, nearly all of them were at 90% after 7-8 years. Model S's after 3 years are generally around 95% IIRC. I've read TMC posts by people who know about such things (or, at least, it sounds like they do :) ) kind of semi-predict a likelihood of around 90% after 8 years even if supercharging (this isn't math, this is speculation and guessing, but it's all I have at the moment).

So, what if the cars are lower, say, 80% after 10 years? Well, if I got 264mi new, 80% of that will mean a 100% charge is 211 miles. Still more than plenty for any kind of city driving I would be doing. Even if I'm going on another long trip, after several more years superchargers will be all over the place, likely a maximum spacing of 100-150mi no matter where (except, it seems, Saskatchewan and Manitoba but who's counting :) ). So no problem on long trips either.

Therefore, my conclusion is, battery degradation will not be a problem. After 10 years if it gets to the point where it doesn't give me the range I need, I *will* have the option of replacing it with whatever size battery is available and makes $$$ sense at the time -- likely little different than having to replace a transmission or motor in a comparable ICE.

To OP: when you used your brother's car, did you supercharge it every few days? (without worrying I assume :) ) Did you notice any degradation in the 6 months?

ugliest1 I was using 240 charger at another house at the time, so never use supercharger. degradation, hard to say because the range change on how you drive. only tesla would know how much degradation.. I wonder by going to a battery swap station to get a newer battery. how is that going to work out ?