Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. Original owner and 100% factory serviced - now at ~135k miles. I will be holding onto it as my oldest son has expressed a lot of interest in this being his first car.

My wife drives a 2007 Prius which we also plan to hold onto for a while yet.

2010 Mitsubishi Evolution. Built to break. Drastic transition coming from a 12mpg 4-cylinder car. I can't wait.

Great to hear such a wide range of changeover cars here. I'll be moving over from another Mitsubishi Evolution but a 2001 model 6.5 Tommi Makkinen edition, currently 149 K km, but it has been reengineered and I optimised the tune (you can easily crack and reprogramme the ECUs) to get 30 mpg on the highway and low mid 20's around town. I was thinking of upgrading to a more modern equivalent like an AMG A45 (as mentioned previously by one other here) or an Alfa Romeo 4C as both are great examples of modern pinnacles of IC design, downsized, highly turbocharged, direct injection, fast, fun, frugal. My other car is a 1971 Datsun 510, also turbocharged fuel injected, but I'll probably convert that to an EV as a project with the kids at some stage ("white zombie" like). The only way to improve on these downsized turbo IC engines is to go to biofuel like E85 or M100 (look up Jaguar/Lotuses "ultraboost project" for examples) but while biofuel may reduce the Carbon, the emissions (aldehydes etc) remain toxic to humans and the environment alike. So EVs make sense as well as have all that instant torque, regen and I can fill them up at home with our solar system. All good ! Only thing preventing me from going EV till now has been the high (for me) cost of a Model S and the poor performance/low range of all other offerings. My daily drivers need 0-60 mph in 4 sec bracket or else I go to sleep (my weekend toy does 0-60 in less than 0.9 sec (dragster on biofuel)) so I need the performance to stop me falling asleep at the wheel. So I thought why not go all the way to a model 3 with the performance upgrade /dual motors ? Can't wait to see what they come up with in that respect.

I have a 2011 Nissan LEAF and 2006 Honda Pilot. I will be trading in the Honda Pilot and keeping the LEAF. I will have an all electric stable except for my 2005 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol edition (won't ever get rid of her). I've been wanting to do that for a long time especially since I have a fairly large solar panel array installed on my house.
I'm curious Marc - have you ever demoed a Zero SR? I would be interested to hear how you think it compares to the CBR1000

Second hand VW Golf GTE (plug-in hybrid) which runs the first 30miles in pure electric mode up to 80mi/h
Since last gas station my average is 120miles/gal since I can charge at home, at the office and in my region there are a lot of free public charging points

Honda Civic - it's all I need in a car.

I'm going for the 3 for the technology, especially autopilot on the highways. I routinely make 3-4 hour drives and anticipate I'll make even more for leisure travel/camping/etc. with the model 3. I'm close to 18k miles per year right now and would estimate this going up to 20-22k with a model 3.

The model 3 is quite a bit more than I anticipated spending on a car, but I think the technology justifies it.

I have shied away from buying new cars for quite a while now, instead purchasing 15-20 year old Honda's or Toyota's. Price is always in the $2500 range.

The model 3 I am in line for will not only be the most expensive car I've ever purchased, it will be the single most UNeconomic move I have ever made, and that's not talking about just cars.

The reason is I only put about 5K miles a year on a car these days. I have a 1 minute commute to work. Only go to town once a month or so. When I do it is 150 mile round trip commute. Which is why I've never bought another pure electric (the S is too pricey for me).

Why would a person do such a silly thing, you ask? Because I'm getting older, and I simply want to own and drive an electric car before I can't drive at all. Which should not be for a while. But you never know. So I'm gettin' one as soon as possible. :>

ps - May do a two year lease on a Bolt while waiting for my ≡. That's how bad I want an electric.

CoastalCruiser, I'm in that same boat. Traded in my last car for $400 at 176,000 miles when I got my Leaf 4+ years ago. But I bought it because I *had* to have an electric car.

I ended up enjoying the car so much that I can't see buying another combustion car. But I really want something with more range so I can use it for more than just my daily commute.

2009 Toyota Yaris hatchback. Prior to that, I had a 2003 Honda Insight. Had some interesting experiences as an early hybrid adopter, and one of the reasons I joined the forum is to see if Tesla owners ran into some of the same things.

We have an '11 Tacoma but just for truck-y things and will keep it.

I have shied away from buying new cars for quite a while now, instead purchasing 15-20 year old Honda's or Toyota's. Price is always in the $2500 range.

The model 3 I am in line for will not only be the most expensive car I've ever purchased, it will be the single most UNeconomic move I have ever made, and that's not talking about just cars.

The reason is I only put about 5K miles a year on a car these days. I have a 1 minute commute to work. Only go to town once a month or so. When I do it is 150 mile round trip commute. Which is why I've never bought another pure electric (the S is too pricey for me).

Why would a person do such a silly thing, you ask? Because I'm getting older, and I simply want to own and drive an electric car before I can't drive at all. Which should not be for a while. But you never know. So I'm gettin' one as soon as possible. :>

ps - May do a two year lease on a Bolt while waiting for my ≡. That's how bad I want an electric.
I'm glad to see someone else in a similar situation to me. I've never spent a lot on a car, because I always do the calculations of how many years earlier I could retire with that money, and it drives my decision making. I want to lead a comfortable life. That said, I'm historically an early adopter of technologies because they excite me, and I do a lot of amateur kart racing (LO206 in case anyone else here races), which just makes me love everything in electric cars. The instant torque is a lot of fun and I'm very appreciative of the autopilot.

I wouldn't be making a leap in nearly any other situation to such an expensive car... but for the Model 3, I will. (Especially if the tax credit stays in tact, otherwise I might put it off a few years)

I keep my cars for a long time and with kids in college right now what I drive in 2 years will be much different than what I drive now. The better question might be what car would you buy next if there was no model 3.
That's simple - none. I would keep what I have. I'm treating this car as a piece of technology, and that's why I'm buying it, because it excites me. If it was just another ordinary car, I wouldn't bother. I want electric motors and I want autopilot. I love the instant torque from EV's.

I'm hoping the opening gets bigger as well as it limits the size of a box/item that you can fit it. But even moreso, I hope there are 60/40 folding seats in the back. The S has them, I sure hope the 3 has them too. (The article here: 2017 Tesla Model 3 specs, price, interior, release date, sedan claims it has them, it would be a shame for that feature to go away)
The difference between 60/40 folding seats could be taking just 2 or up to 4 people skiing/snowboarding (as long as the two can sit on the '60' section with the skis/boards coming out the '40' section.
Or being able to have a car seat attached, and still be able to fold down one section to put said skis/snowboards/surfboards/stuff in at the same time. A little sidetracked from the topic, I apologize.