Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I installed mine, I re-used the original fasteners on the end by putting in the bottom piece directly on the fender lining, and then snapping in the fastener over the lip. It doesn’t go in deep but it does “click” and hasn’t fallen off yet. It’s held up well and I’ve driven about 5,600 miles with it.

I just finished installing the PP version. The rivet included for the wheel well does not fit. It is simply too fat. I tried pushing it in without the front lip spoiler and it wouldn't go in. After I mounted the front lip, I tried sanding down the rivet to make it more narrow. After that failed, I cut one out of the 4 legs on the rivet. With center locking plastic pin removed, I was able to push in the rivet. Then I tried to insert the center pin. I was only able to push in 1/2 way for it to click. I couldn't push it in all the way. This is with one leg cut. I can't imagine anyone getting this rivet in with all 4 legs in tact.

After struggling through this, I now understand what the previous posts are talking about. The rivet that holds the bottom plastic tray are replaced with bolts in the kit. You can use one of these rivets for the wheel well, but it's not a very secure fit. So right now, I have one side using the bottom tray rivet and on the other side I have a 1/2 in rivet. I will see if it holds. I have some 75lb drywall anchor that looks to be roughly the same size diameter. I'm going to try using this next if the rivet falls out.

Can I get your opinion on two front splitters/spoilers?

This is an IKON-style one (glossy, real CF, one piece -- the one everyone here has already seen):
Unknown-3.jpeg

And this is a Vorsteiner-style (real CF, glossy, one piece). ignore the glitter on the white paint, I have no idea what's up with that, but it shows the spoiler well:
Unknown-4.jpeg

Question: Do you guys think the Vorsteiner-looking one is... "too much"? I do plan on getting the matching side skirts (which have a much smaller wing tip) and rear diffuser (both the side skirts and rear diffuser are also glossy real CF).

I'm wondering if it would look weird getting the side skirts (which have the smaller wing tip) with an IKON-looking front spoiler/splitter that doesn't have the wing tips.

For reference, my car is also white (but not glittery, lol)

Thoughts?

Another question, aside from my opinion one above... have you guys noticed any measurable difference in Wh/mile usage with your front spoilers? I imagine these spoilers really offer no real downforce and are primarily for looks. But I also have to imagine they make the front of the car much less aerodynamic.

What do you think?

Vorsteiner one is a bit too much for me personally. Dont expect any benefit (or significant degradation either) from a front lip spoiler. The only one with any data is the UP one but I think driving style will always be the main variable when it comes to efficiency.

PS - I have the Ikon one and it definitely looks better than stock. In hindsight, a matte CF one would be even better but it wasnt available when I got mine.

I wrapped my lip spoiler with 3M satin black. After few days of observing it, I feel the black doesn't really show or stand out. It makes the front looks like it is higher off the ground than it actually is. In the daytime, the black color makes it blend in with the shadow of the ground. At night, it's just too dark to see. See my attached picture.

So now I plan to wrap it body color. The problem is I can't buy a 6"x8' strip. Wraps come in 5' widths and are usually sold by the foot. So I'm going to need to buy 5'x8' wrap and have lots of left overs.

Before I place my order, anyone have any thoughts, ideas or opinions?
Anybody know where I can buy 3M satin frozen vanilla 8' long, 6" or 1' wide?

Last edited:
I ordered the PP lip from IKON and got it right away (3 days). Just installed it - it was super easy to do and had excellent fit. I really like their ingenious clop hardware that leverages the factory holes - very sturdy, no drilling and clean. Didn't seem the 3M tape was even needed (maybe just to tighten any gap), and even that was nicely recessed for a flush fit.

I am going to leave the lip in unfinished PP, given my history of destroying these, and the secondary snow plowing usage that could happen in Chicago winters.
1.jpeg
2-jpeg.654313
3.jpeg
5.jpeg
4.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    699.7 KB · Views: 1,543
I ordered the PP lip from IKON and got it right away (3 days). Just installed it - it was super easy to do and had excellent fit. I really like their ingenious clop hardware that leverages the factory holes - very sturdy, no drilling and clean. Didn't seem the 3M tape was even needed (maybe just to tighten any gap), and even that was nicely recessed for a flush fit.

I am going to leave the lip in unfinished PP, given my history of destroying these, and the secondary snow plowing usage that could happen in Chicago winters.
View attachment 654312
2-jpeg.654313
View attachment 654314View attachment 654317View attachment 654316
Literally just discovered this, I had no idea they were making a PP version, it is actually very affordable and it looks like it is the easiest version to install!!

I am seriously considering this. Thanks for sharing pics!

I wrapped it myself using 3m frozen arctic vanilla wrap. The door handles are pretty easy. Just be sure to use a sharp knife. For the side blinkers, I lined up the wrap on the top edge and then freehand the rest. I tired using knifeless tape but it was too hard to line up. The wraps are very forgiving. If you mess up a bit, you pull it off and heat it up. It snap back into shape.

Yes I do have additional black wrap around the front grill. I originally installed the front apron wrap but then extended for Halloween. I later decided to keep the smiley look.

This is my car during Halloween

I tore off my black wrap and rewrapped my lip spoiler to white. It's not an exact match but it's close enough for me to live with. I also over-wrapped it a bit to cover up the gap between the lip and the car bumper.

View attachment 654639View attachment 654640
Definitely looks more complete color matched. I agree that the black lip makes the car look higher off the ground because it chops off part of the lower bumper visually.