Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IKON Motorsports Front Lip for Model 3: A Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my Ikon Lip... after just a couple of weeks driving with it in the 3M tape started to completely fail. Taking it off I found that while it adhered great to the body, it pretty much did not stick to the lip at all.

I am going the remount it using 3M adhesion promoter on all the surfaces, using the 3M transparent tape that I like better than the foam, and adding an additional 1/4 wide strip 1 Inch aft of the recessed slot on the lip.

Anyone installing this - I really suggest adhesion promoter. IKON, if you are listening, you really should inculde a couple of adhesion promoter wipes in the box. It makes a huge difference and can save a lot of hassle. You also should take the time to put the tape on the lip as it can be a bit of a mystery when you get it at first.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 647
Ikon sells a cheap kit with stuff that might help you.

You basically NEED to use screws or some other 'permanent' method of fastening the lip. 3M tape with promoter is great to further strengthen things, but don't solely use it unless you are okay losing the lip on the freeway at some point. Also, make sure to remove any CC, sealant, wax etc before using the adhesion promoter and/or tape. A very light sanding on the bottom of the bumper cover can really help with adhesion.

Reactions: Let's Drive
Ikon sells a cheap kit with stuff that might help you.

You basically NEED to use screws or some other 'permanent' method of fastening the lip. 3M tape with promoter is great to further strengthen things, but don't solely use it unless you are okay losing the lip on the freeway at some point. Also, make sure to remove any CC, sealant, wax etc before using the adhesion promoter and/or tape. A very light sanding on the bottom of the bumper cover can really help with adhesion.
I AM using the bolts that come with the lip - it uses bolts on the bottom and tape on the top edge. I do not plan to screw additional screws into the top, very visible edge. Again, the tape stuck to the car itself very well. It did not stick (or stay stuck) to the Polypropylene of the lip

For those who installed the PP version. Did you place the 3M tape at the very edge to the top or run it within the channel?

I was going to wrap mine either in gloss carbon or gloss black. My spoiler and side blinker covers are gloss carbon. Carbon would most likely hide imperfections or minor chips later on..

Attachments

• 69F1D4B1-66BD-44E1-B437-D07D7BF9FB91.jpeg
    69F1D4B1-66BD-44E1-B437-D07D7BF9FB91.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 633
I recently got the JL Motoring-lip. Its identical to the one from IKON, but JL was willing to ship to Norway so got it from them. Although they are very bad at communication the parts did arrive. Pay with PayPal and you are safe. I chose the matte version to match the rear Performance spoiler, and its a very close match. Im now waiting for some 3M tape to fit my mirror covers I got from them as well, I think it will suit the car really well. I was surprised the mirror covers didnt come with tape 😅 The lip was covered with tape, and I used self tapping screws to attach it. Self tapping screws may not be a permanent solution though.

GpHxdS.jpg

I recently got the JL Motoring-lip. Its identical to the one from IKON, but JL was willing to ship to Norway so got it from them. Although they are very bad at communication the parts did arrive. Pay with PayPal and you are safe. I chose the matte version to match the rear Performance spoiler, and its a very close match. Im now waiting for some 3M tape to fit my mirror covers I got from them as well, I think it will suit the car really well. I was surprised the mirror covers didnt come with tape 😅 The lip was covered with tape, and I used self tapping screws to attach it. Self tapping screws may not be a permanent solution though.

GpHxdS.jpg
Is the the polypropylene version? Do you plan to paint or wrap it or just leave as is. It looks pretty good. I have this at home. Trying to decide to install as is or paint it or wrap it n

For those who installed the PP version. Did you place the 3M tape at the very edge to the top or run it within the channel?

I was going to wrap mine either in gloss carbon or gloss black. My spoiler and side blinker covers are gloss carbon. Carbon would most likely hide imperfections or minor chips later on..
Did you ever wrap and install your lip? My car has a similar matte black theme to yours. Trying to figure out how to best handle the lip. Thanks.

Is the the polypropylene version? Do you plan to paint or wrap it or just leave as is. It looks pretty good. I have this at home. Trying to decide to install as is or paint it or wrap it n
This is the matte carbon fiber version. Click the pic and zoom in and you see the CF weave. It does not wrap around the edges, its identical to the one in the first post. I used some black vinyl wrap behind it on the edges to kind of hide it a bit.

This is the matte carbon fiber version. Click the pic and zoom in and you see the CF weave. It does not wrap around the edges, its identical to the one in the first post. I used some black vinyl wrap behind it on the edges to kind of hide it a bit.
It looks good. I bought the pp one from ikon and was told it cannot be wrapped. So my choices are stick with the finish, return it or paint it body color. Any ideas? Not sure about the cheapish finish.

I ordered the PP lip from IKON and got it right away (3 days). Just installed it - it was super easy to do and had excellent fit. I really like their ingenious clop hardware that leverages the factory holes - very sturdy, no drilling and clean. Didn't seem the 3M tape was even needed (maybe just to tighten any gap), and even that was nicely recessed for a flush fit.

I am going to leave the lip in unfinished PP, given my history of destroying these, and the secondary snow plowing usage that could happen in Chicago winters.
View attachment 654312
2-jpeg.654313
View attachment 654314View attachment 654317View attachment 654316
Hi, how do you think the pp looks now that you’ve had it for a while? I like your pics. Trying to debate whether I should spend up for a cf version, paint it or just install as is. My car is MSM with flat black wheels, tint and cf mirror covers. The cf version is 450 versus 150.

Sanding the lip and using the clear 3m tape and adhesion promoter seems to have done the trick - so much so that when placing it lightly one part was a little off and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't pull it off to move it!
Good tip. I installed mine the other day and was NOT happy with the fit. Installed it the first time with real 3M tape off Amazon. Didn’t stick. Reinstalled with some tape that came with an Ikon wing we installed on my friends LR. Worked better than expected on his wing. Didn’t stick to the lip as you stated. I’m going to remove it, scuff it, adhesion promoter, and new tape. Glad to hear this worked.