Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Illinois EV Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had regular personalized plates for my Model 3 and received a letter from the Secretary of State that I will not be able to renew them next year but will need to apply for new EL plates.

I am fine paying the extra fees to compensate for the lack of gasoline taxes. But I don’t care for the tax shaming attitude by some. Keep in mind that EV owners end up paying more in Utility taxes per kWh of electricity they pull from the grid for charging their vehicles. Non-EV owners aren’t being asked to compensate for that.

Reactions: Shamrock17
I don't mind paying the extra fees for EV plates. I understand that EV owners are no longer actively contributing to the road repairs fund via gasoline taxes. So, this is at least an attempt to get us to help contribute. Personally, I'd prefer if the state went to a mileage-based registration fee and applied it to *all* vehicles, not just EVs. I think that would be the most equitable way. And then change the registration to a 3-year renewal so that the renewal coincides with emissions testing schedule. Since all vehicles are required to have emissions testing every 3 years, that's when they can pull the vehicle's mileage and calculate the registration renewal fees.

I paid $400 in registration fees when I took delivery of my MYLR in February. The brand-new EL plates came with the vehicle. I then turned around and went to the DMV to have the EL plates from my first EV transferred to the MYLR, as we are preparing to sell our first EV, and I want to keep the low-digit EL plate in the family.

IL has "specialty plates" for everyone and everything, especially military and disabled veterans. Sadly the "EL" plates come in one flavor.

Ditching the EL plate and returning to a traditional plate with an EV decal makes more sense. Of course, the devil is in the details, how BIG are the decals and where will they need to be affixed to your vehicle?

So how does this work, exactly? Let's say I pick up my new Model Y in December. Do I pay the $251 all over again a month later?

You pay transfer fee and then you have to pay renewal fee in Jan. I picked mine up in Dec, although dealing with slow Secretary of State in paper work. They just registered my Y a month later but my renewal information still shows my 3 in computers.

When I first got my original Illinois plates I was told all EL plates were due in January, but it seems that this is no longer true and that it will be 12 mo after the original plate was issued (just as other vehicles are registered) Apparently there was a Dec 2019 deadline when switching from the $35 fee for two years to the current $251/yr for EL plates.
Here is a link with story from St Louis TV station explaining in a little more detail.

Just renewed my tags and noticed same thing with year of 23 on it.
My understanding is that all EV registrations are due in January so no month necessary as other registrations.
No that is not true. My model Y’s sticker expires in June and I have a “06-22” sticker on it. It was 3 years ago when the S of S raised EV registration price to $251 and made all EV registration expire in January of 2020. EV purchased after January 2020 will have registration good for one year just like any other cars.

Reactions: Bikeman