Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm going to have to switch to aftermarket 20" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 6 months of ownership I lost two tires from one pothole and now I just noticed one of my rims (NOT involved in the pothole incident) is cracked/bent. Yes I unfortunately have 21" wheels. The worst thing is I am the only one who drives the car (besides Tesla Service recently) and I haven't hit any potholes other than the one. I'm surprised by the amount of damage to the wheel with no scratches on it and no obvious tire damage.

I'm also surprised that Tesla Service didn't notice it when they had the car a week ago, unless it happened since then. I think there is a very real possibility that they caused the damage but they didn't seem to willing to help out. I think I would know if I hit something that caused this. Thoughts?

Wheel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Holy macanoli....that looks like you hit a big pothole to get that kind of damage, or the dang rims are really that fragile?...I've also had the SvC do something stupid with my car that has pissed me off, but I'm not gonna say it here just yet....all I can say is I will be inspecting the car very carefully whenever I go to pick it up again.

You can get those 21's repaired. I run my 21's in the summer (April - Nov) and then switch to 19's for the winter. All the potholes are usually taken care of my April/May.

Now, I did bend two 19's but that was a freak incident on an upturned manhole cover (bear trap). Would have happened to any wheel. They were repaired and two new tires later free from road hazard insurance, I was good.

It happens and it sucks..

It's easy to forget how heavy the model S really is. It's quick and handles well but at the end of the day it weight more than a BMW 7 series. I had Alloy gators on mine and when I hit a pothole with just the right force it popped the gators out on 2 wheels.

I have 21's on my 85D and love the look. But i'm dreading the day where that one pothole is going to kill a tire or a rim.

In 6 months of ownership I lost two tires from one pothole and now I just noticed one of my rims (NOT involved in the pothole incident) is cracked/bent. Yes I unfortunately have 21" wheels. The worst thing is I am the only one who drives the car (besides Tesla Service recently) and I haven't hit any potholes other than the one. I'm surprised by the amount of damage to the wheel with no scratches on it and no obvious tire damage.

I'm also surprised that Tesla Service didn't notice it when they had the car a week ago, unless it happened since then. I think there is a very real possibility that they caused the damage but they didn't seem to willing to help out. I think I would know if I hit something that caused this. Thoughts?

I highly recommend getting 20" wheels. When I bought my car I ordered it with 19" knowing they were coming off the car day 1 for aftermarket wheels. I don't like the design of the 19s, and the 21s have a poor tire selection. 20" looks much better in the wheel wells compared to 19", and still gives you year-round sidewall. Make sure you find wheels that can handle the weight, and you will need XL load rating on the tires. My first set of tires were Continental Extreme Contact DWS, which lasted over 25k miles in Phoenix with my very spirited first years of driving. My second set is 10k miles in on Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season, also excellent so far.

I highly recommend getting 20" wheels. When I bought my car I ordered it with 19" knowing they were coming off the car day 1 for aftermarket wheels. I don't like the design of the 19s, and the 21s have a poor tire selection. 20" looks much better in the wheel wells compared to 19", and still gives you year-round sidewall. Make sure you find wheels that can handle the weight, and you will need XL load rating on the tires. My first set of tires were Continental Extreme Contact DWS, which lasted over 25k miles in Phoenix with my very spirited first years of driving. My second set is 10k miles in on Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season, also excellent so far.

Post up which wheels you put on if you get the chance. :smile:

I'm thinking these wheels:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=4122812U40BMF&wheelMake=Platinum&wheelModel=Opulent&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=P85D

And for tires EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06.

Thoughts?

PS - any advice on selling my old tires and wheels? I'm thinking about selling the tires as a set of four and then selling the three wheels separately (one in perfect condition, two some curb rash from the first pothole and flat tires).

I agree with fluxemag above. 20" wheels are the way to go. Its the perfect compromise and they just look "right" in the wheel well with a much better sidewall compared to the 21". I'm in South Dakota and put my 19" wheels back on over the winter which is working nice but it certainly doesn't look as good. Can't wait to get the 20" wheels back on.........it looks so much better. I ended up going with Vossen CVT 20" wheels with a staggered set up and it looks great. In fact I've had more comments on these wheels than any others I've owned with past vehicles.............of course the fact they are on a Tesla probably helps!

Ouch!

Ouch.PNG
Ouch2.PNG

Holy macanoli....that looks like you hit a big pothole to get that kind of damage, or the dang rims are really that fragile?...I've also had the SvC do something stupid with my car that has pissed me off, but I'm not gonna say it here just yet....all I can say is I will be inspecting the car very carefully whenever I go to pick it up again.

No repair if the wheel is cracked.

Those are terrific! If you get the chance post a picture with them on the car please. I have titanium metallic and I think these would look great.

I would keep one of those wheel/tire combos as a spare in the garage if you have the space just in case you need one. Doubtful you will get enough money to make it much worthwhile.

I'm thinking these wheels:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...oModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=P85D

And for tires EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06.

Thoughts?

PS - any advice on selling my old tires and wheels? I'm thinking about selling the tires as a set of four and then selling the three wheels separately (one in perfect condition, two some curb rash from the first pothole and flat tires).