Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to doubt I'll be getting an electric truck.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any time in the near future. I've put a deposit on all of them. I have an order in which I prefer them but it's not enough so that I wouldn't buy the first one that arrives. There's been no news that gives me comfort that the Cybertruck (favorite choice) will start deliveries end of this year beginning of next year, the Ford Lightening (least favorite choice), starts build sometime late spring 2022 perhaps, Hummer SUT is fall 2022 if they keep to schedule (unless you are a lucky first edition holder), and Rivian? Who knows as they've now said beginning of 2022 to start fulfilling orders.

I honestly think I'm losing faith in this process and may just buy something else but I want an EV so it's a bit of a conundrum. Eh, just venting now that I've come to the realization I may not be living my electric pickup dream anytime soon.

Any time in the near future. I've put a deposit on all of them. I have an order in which I prefer them but it's not enough so that I wouldn't buy the first one that arrives. There's been no news that gives me comfort that the Cybertruck (favorite choice) will start deliveries end of this year beginning of next year, the Ford Lightening (least favorite choice), starts build sometime late spring 2022 perhaps, Hummer SUT is fall 2022 if they keep to schedule (unless you are a lucky first edition holder), and Rivian? Who knows as they've now said beginning of 2022 to start fulfilling orders.

I honestly think I'm losing faith in this process and may just buy something else but I want an EV so it's a bit of a conundrum. Eh, just venting now that I've come to the realization I may not be living my electric pickup dream anytime soon.
I waited 2 years for my model x.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I waited 2 years for my model x.
I’m not claiming to be special. Lots of people are waiting / have waited. It just kind of hit me that the long wait won‘t be over soon. I like the X, better than the S btw, are you still a fan? Maybe a model x plaid can scratch the itch? It is an SUv at least. The issue is just showing the lack of choice for those that prefer EVs. It’s tough for me to do the ICE thing after doing a reasonable number of electric miles. It’s just a preference.

I’m not claiming to be special. Lots of people are waiting / have waited. It just kind of hit me that the long wait won‘t be over soon. I like the X, better than the S btw, are you still a fan? Maybe a model x plaid can scratch the itch? It is an SUv at least. The issue is just showing the lack of choice for those that prefer EVs. It’s tough for me to do the ICE thing after doing a reasonable number of electric miles. It’s just a preference.
I love both my S and X and if Tesla would make a EV pickup like the F-150 I would have that as well.

Reactions: Zer0t and TessP100D

Same. Like you, I have reservations on several including being one of the first to preorder the Lightning. I’m so far down in the queue for the CT and with virtually no info coming about the CT, it definitely feels like I’ll end up going a different route for my next EV, whether that’s a Model Y to some other EV.

Reactions: Zer0t

Correct. you won’t be driving home soon. 2023 you might see a CT. Maybe.

Reactions: Zer0t
Not with the yoke. No way

Reactions: QUBO
I love both my S and X and if Tesla would make a EV pickup like the F-150 I would have that as well.
While I don't have an X, I agree with the " if Tesla would make an EV pickup like the F-150 I would have that" While I think the market for the Cyber truck is strong, imagine what it would be if they had built a normal looking truck too. I'm still not sure they won't have to build a normal looking truck eventually. The E-F150 is what the Tesla truck should have started with- Cybertruck should have been the "One more thing" part of the event not the ATV.. Just my opinion

Reactions: TessP100D
While I don't have an X, I agree with the " if Tesla would make an EV pickup like the F-150 I would have that" While I think the market for the Cyber truck is strong, imagine what it would be if they had build a normal looking truck too. I'm still not sure they won't have to build a normal looking truck eventually. The E-F150 is what the Tesla truck should have started with- Cybertruck should have been the "One more thing" part of the event not the ATV.. Just my opinion
That is the problem with Elon, the CT is a marketing thing to get attention. It is not practical in anyway as a pickup truck and it is ugly.

I agree with the Ford being last choice based upon short battery life! Rivian is involved with 2 lawsuits and they are building vans for Prime! Unsure about Tesla or GMC!!

CT is a marketing thing to get attention
Clearly, you and a lot of folks here don't completely understand Tesla.
The core design of the CT is all function and little about form.
The "Cyber" aspect is simply marketing spin to justify the form which necessarily accompanies the function. When you look at the CT, you're seeing a structural bridge designed to enable the minimum amount of metal to carry the maximum load. Carrying load is what a truck is all about.
Those who don't carry loads in trucks but drive trucks so they can look like they carry or are able to carry a load may not fully understand what that means. Function-wise, the only issue I see with the CT is that the sloped sides on the bed restrict reasonable access except from the rear. This can make jockeying a load into a truck a bit challenging, however, many of the pretty-boy trucks (Escalade, early Ridgeline, etc) have already adopted the sloped-sides so I can't see that being a huge problem to many of the aesthetically focused.
If you don't like the looks, don't worry, just like when mid-engine sports cars replace the old long hoods, you may get over it once they start dominating the roads or else you'll just maintain your affection for the classics. It looks like Ford and GM may be covering the old school design at reduced performance, of course. Its good either way.
. . . . . . . and yes, it's going to arrive late as with everything Tesla. They've accomplished more late than nearly anyone else has ever done.

Clearly, you and a lot of folks here don't completely understand Tesla.
The core design of the CT is all function and little about form.
The "Cyber" aspect is simply marketing spin to justify the form which necessarily accompanies the function. When you look at the CT, you're seeing a structural bridge designed to enable the minimum amount of metal to carry the maximum load. Carrying load is what a truck is all about.
Those who don't carry loads in trucks but drive trucks so they can look like they carry or are able to carry a load may not fully understand what that means. Function-wise, the only issue I see with the CT is that the sloped sides on the bed restrict reasonable access except from the rear. This can make jockeying a load into a truck a bit challenging, however, many of the pretty-boy trucks (Escalade, early Ridgeline, etc) have already adopted the sloped-sides so I can't see that being a huge problem to many of the aesthetically focused.
If you don't like the looks, don't worry, just like when mid-engine sports cars replace the old long hoods, you may get over it once they start dominating the roads or else you'll just maintain your affection for the classics. It looks like Ford and GM may be covering the old school design at reduced performance, of course. Its good either way.
. . . . . . . and yes, it's going to arrive late as with everything Tesla. They've accomplished more late than nearly anyone else has ever done.
Unfortunately I do understand Tesla and that is the problem, Elon spends to much time on unnecessary stuff that is superfluous. How about we fix the UI and make a truck that is usable.

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY
Unfortunately I do understand Tesla and that is the problem, Elon spends to much time on unnecessary stuff that is superfluous. How about we fix the UI and make a truck that is usable.
Sounds like you probably don't need to haul a lot and styling and UI are more important to you. There's no problem with that. Most likely you'll be in the F150 Lightning market. Tesla can't please everyone. Enjoy.
ps. The Ford has some appeal to me over the CT as well. We're not committing to either for a while.

i like the CT. i don’t care about the practicality of a pickup truck either. I’ll occasionally go to the store and need a bit of space to lug something. I’ll drive from my home in Monmouth County to MetLife stadium for a tailgate. I’m sure it’ll handle all of those things well. I enjoy driving a larger “truck” and my main use is to tour around the country in an electric truck. It’s just what I want to do. All of these other practical/subjective measures don’t really matter for my purposes.

I currently have a 2019 Raptor and I’d rate it the best car I’ve ever owned, and I’ve have/had some really nice ones. I don’t use it practically but i still enjoy getting in it. If none of these electric trucks pan out I’ll continue to drive. my only issue is I enjoy the drive of EVs and the convenience charging at home. My main use case is a 4 mile drive back and forth the Seastreak Ferry.