Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to think OTA updates aren't such a good thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summon has stopped working on both my cars. Reported to Tesla and this is their response. Starting to think OTA updates aren't such a good idea, I've now lost a feature I paid extra for with no suggestion as to when I will have it back, not at all happy with this.

IMG_9564.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74
I wouldn’t say OTA updates are a bad thing as such, but I do find the number of them at the moment rather irritating. And it’s certainly true that lots of updates break something that previously worked perfectly.

Some people, though, still look forward to with huge anticipation to every update, and gleefully announce to the world when they’ve received the latest offering, however minor it may be. It cracks me up.

I'm ok with them but not if it's an excuse for lazy design, little testing and no thought out release cycle which sadly seems to be the case. The whole wiper control debarcle being a case in point - from automatically turning on with AP, to the potential to control via the steering wheel, to being able to control via the steering wheel, to being abe to turn them off etc..

Reactions: GalacticHero
As someone who paid for summon in April last year, only to have it missing when the car was delivered at the back end of last year, with no sign of actually getting it, OTA updates can't come soon enough.

Like you recently my summon has failed, (2020 M3P with FSD) I only used it when out shopping as i always park as far away from the shop as possible and I reverse into a spot - usually meaning the boot cant be accessed until the car is pulled forwards.
Now Summon has never been very good but standing by the door of the car I could make it move forwards a few feet and then load the boot up.
The last time i used it that way was about 4 to 6 weeks ago and it was fine, Last Saturday I tried it and The lights come on, the indicators flashed, the steering goes from left to right - I hear the noises as motors start up (not drive motors) and then it all shuts down.

I didn't know if the issue was Tesla breaking it with an update or my car just being temperamental - as usual, and perhaps needed a reboot - which I haven't done - so now, with your post i do know Tesla broke it and will fix it ----- eventually (eventually said like Manuel - Faulty Towers)

While I can understand when Windows gets updated and introduces a bug, or a game comes out that is crashing on certain systems, because there are millions of different combinations of hardware available that they need to try and account for.

Tesla? Not so much. I know there's quite a few variations, more so than many other manufacturers due to rolling changes throughout the year (which is their own fault) but ultimately, how do they manage to break stuff so bloody often?

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I don’t remember Summon working on my car the few times I’ve tried to use it recently. It’s never been particularly useful, but the last 2 or 3 times it’s just not done anything (it makes the noises like it will, but it doesn’t move)

They should at least allow us to update the features we want and omit others. Or go back to a previous version.

There are a few improvements that I would love to have, but there is no way I'm going to sacrifice the radar or install more games or fart sounds.

The downside of not updating is that there may be undocumented BMS improvements that I'm not getting either.

A possible scenario would be that they decide that during the winter, the battery has to be heated up for another 5 °C before charging at 48 Amps due to longevity issues (this is entirely made up, but a possibility nonetheless). Without the updates, I might be stressing the battery more than necessary.

And that's precisely what I meant in the first paragraph. Give me those important updates that will positively affect battery life, but don't touch my radar or turn on all kinds of crap that I don't want when I engage AP.

Either you rapidly iterate and occasionally cause regressions, or you never update and nothing gets fixed ever. Overall I think the OTA updates have been a net positive.

That said, there should at least be a temporary "revert to previous" option for those occasional mis-steps that negatively impact function. The fix for a bad update is a newer update, but those take time.

Except it's not either rapidly or never. They could just test their updates before publishing them. Plus, I have a working software that doesn't require fixing. I have no real issues with 2022.20.8.

I'm sure they do test, and a regression like this one would be a "test escape" that should trigger a review and new test method to catch it in the future.

I'm not a Tesla insider, but I work in software development. Requiring software to be 100% bug-free is unrealistic, but rapid iteration can get fixes out more quickly.

I don’t remember Summon working on my car the few times I’ve tried to use it recently. It’s never been particularly useful, but the last 2 or 3 times it’s just not done anything (it makes the noises like it will, but it doesn’t move)
I find standing right next to the drivers door did enable summon to shift the car forwards - but never backwards for some reason, stood in front of the car to one side and it has never worked - however it does nothing at all now.