Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm stuck on software version v10.2 2021.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my 2017 P70 Model S from a non Tesla dealership and supposedly the MCU1 was rooted and communication with Tesla was blocked.

Reason being it's a salvage title and dealer wanted buyer to have the free lifetime supercharger acces which it should of had anyway if my understanding is accurate. 2017.

It could have been blocked if supercharger read and found it's salvage though.

Anyway is there anything I can do to update the software? Do I need to get in there and root it to allow communication with Tesla? Dealership is being assholes and won't do it.

Aside from no communication with Tesla, is it true if you get in with root you can easily turn on features like

Attachments

• 20240521_015117.jpg
    20240521_015117.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 7
only original rooter can change things i'm guessing, if dealership doesn't know who did it, they can't help u
blocking teslas access is part of normal rooting process so nothing gets reverted but u should still have app access if it was done right
can u supercharge?

supercharger won't block u, i think it was a myth based on one single case (not sure if it was real or not)
i supercharge all the time (paid charging) on any charger with my salvage rooted car

I have a car in a comparable situation. Going through the rooter is the best bet. You can try some of the obvious things like putting it into service mode and requesting an update, but I highly doubt it will work.

Regardless of what you do, you’ll need Tesla. Your certificates are expired and you will not be able to manually load (and decrypt) new firmwares without valid certificates. Certificates on every car expire after 2 years and are regularly refreshed as part of normal communication with Tesla’s mothership - but if that’s been blocked your certificates haven’t updated in a long time and your car simply cannot communicate with Tesla at all anymore. You’ll need Tesla to get your car up to date and it likely won’t be free. Just sharing the honest truth.

• Informative
Reactions: E90alex
Regardless of what you do, you’ll need Tesla. Your certificates are expired and you will not be able to manually load (and decrypt) new firmwares without valid certificates. Certificates on every car expire after 2 years and are regularly refreshed as part of normal communication with Tesla’s mothership - but if that’s been blocked your certificates haven’t updated in a long time and your car simply cannot communicate with Tesla at all anymore. You’ll need Tesla to get your car up to date and it likely won’t be free. Just sharing the honest truth.
KyleDay, would you mind taking a look at my post? The information you gave is helpful, and it makes me think I am going through the exact same problem. Here is the thread: Model S Rooted v11.0 2022.8.10.5 drive unit replacement problems - additionally, I have seen some scripts on GitHub for updating/resetting the CIDUpdater, would this work as a solution for me? If not, would having Tesla SC try work?

Try going into the service menu on your MCU by typing “service” when entering the secret code on your screen (you used to hold down the T at the top and I can’t remember what firmware it changed to holding down on the model number in the Software screen). But once you’re in service mode you should be able to initiate a software redeploy from MCU.