Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of extra passengers on battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the only way I know of estimating the impact of excess weight on the car's range would be to plug in your trip at abetterrouteplanner.com, with a driver-only trip and then re-running the trip by using the Settings/Vehicle/Extra Weight setting.

Reactions: Kimmi
Yep, use ABRP for planning, but in general, I've found extra weight, as long as it's inside the car, to have minimal effect upon range. Generally, you're more likely to have to stop anyway, as someone is bound to want to use the toilet or get a snack or something.

I can't find info anywhere on the % impact of passengers on the battery range of my Tesla 3. We are travelling 280ks return tonight with driver and 3 adult passengers and are trying to ascertain whether we need a recharge on the journey.
How close is it with just the driver in similar conditions?

If you can make it with 10% to spare you’ll be fine with the extra passengers.

The biggest impact extra weight has is when going up very large hills it might prevent you from making the summit (since you have to lift all that weight up, which might be 15% of the vehicle weight). But you have to be cutting things really close for this to be an issue, practically speaking. (For example on 5000-foot climb, if you were targeting reaching the summit at 2% SOC, while arriving at your destination on the far side at 5-10%, you might not make it with passengers. No one does this.)

Don’t worry about weight on long-distance trips, worry about the winds.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life