Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of February 28 Announcement on Current 100D Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla dropped the price of my S and added features by $10k a month after delivery, I got squat, you'll also get squat, just accept it, because they don't care they have your money.

And EAP / FSD is going to be a complete freaking fiasco now, I won't be shocked if those that got EAP already will get the FSD package for free so they don't need to manage it.

LOL.. I feel your pain. I purchased the 90D 10/2016 and soon after the S100D was offered for cheaper. Then the Glass Roof was given away for free, then the liftgate was free then the winterpackage was free, Air System, Etc. The list goes on and on. Tesla is not going to give anyone anything. Part of being a Tesla customer.

The equivalent of my 85D has continually gone down in price ever since we bought it. It is now $25K less. Features have been slipped in without even being mentioned as options before. Like week after we got our cellular was updated from 3G to 4GLTE. Shortly after we got our AP2 hardware was added. It just happens. A Tesla is not the same as an ICE car. Features added and costs of production are reducing.

I sold my 2018 S100D 3 weeks ago and I'm a happy man. I love the the way of communication of Elon Musk, the short time, NO time, before changes the Tesla rules, because I got a good price.
On the other hand, I like to do business with companies who are trusted and that's not my experience at Tesla. Upgrade the car with a fireplace and other bad stuff, forgot the fundamental issues. Drop down prices as never experienced before. What wil happen tomorrow?

Reactions: am_dmd
I bought a S 100D in september last year. I'm not too upset because I like the car and Tesla offered me a 50% buyback after three years. So that's what I will get regardless. If this hadn't happened the depreciation of the car would probably still hit the 50% mark. So it doesn't really change much for me.

However, I don't trust Tesla. I don't think I'll ever again will be buying a new Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and am_dmd
I bought a S 100D in september last year. I'm not too upset because I like the car and Tesla offered me a 50% buyback after three years. So that's what I will get regardless. If this hadn't happened the depreciation of the car would probably still hit the 50% mark. So it doesn't really change much for me.

However, I don't trust Tesla. I don't think I'll ever again will be buying a new Tesla.

How did you get a 50% buyback offer?

I agree this sucks for those who bought within the last year, and Tesla won’t do much about it. This behavior just erodes consumer confidence.

I’m a case in point. I wanted an S and was wary of buying new. I like the look of the facelift, don’t care about EAP (because the advertised features don’t work), and was wary of changes soon after a new S purchase. Therefore, I went the used route. $47k for a 22 month old MS75D facelift with 25k miles. That represented a >$40k depreciation in ~2 years.

I say all this, yet I bought another Tesla. So despite my objections and frustration with the brand, I continue supporting them because the cars are awesome—when they aren’t at a service center.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
We're long time Tesla customers, our first purchase was a 2012 S P85, and subsequently purchased a 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D.

So I've been tracking prices and re-sale since 2012. In general, Tesla has maintained the price points for the S/X with the largest battery packs. As new features (including battery capacity increases) were added, Tesla kept the high end (fully loaded) [non-performance] price about the same, except when they increased prices for EAP/FSD.

This is the first time Tesla has implemented an across-the-board price decrease - and that's going to impact the resale value of all vehicles.

I'm estimating the current value of our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D combined lost around $25K this week - about 2/3 of what it would cost to buy a new $35K Model 3!

Tesla has recognized the impact of the price decrease by offering current customers 1/2 price upgrades for EAP or FSD. And for those customers who already have EAP and FSD, they'll be invited to the early access program and be able to get software updates earlier.

The 1/2 price upgrade offer is clever, because that will actually increase revenue for Tesla, since those customers had already decided not to purchase those options, and had a small probability of ever purchasing them.

But for those owners who already had EAP and FSD, the early access program isn't much of a benefit, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something more, some suggestions (which would have little or no impact on their near-term profitability, and would recognize the loyalty of their customers):
  • Provide a 1/2 price (or free) upgrade for all software-activatable features for vehicles purchased before the price increase. This would include software-limited battery packs or those cars with 72A chargers that are software limited to 48A. And if they required owners to purchase those upgrades before the end of March, this revenue would be pure profit for Q1!
  • For vehicles with FSD already, if any do not already have FUSC (Free Unlimited SuperCharging), then add FUSC for the vehicle
  • For vehicles with FSD and already with FUSC, then allow the owner to transfer FUSC to their next Tesla vehicle, when they trade in the current vehicle
  • For vehicles with FSD, move those vehicles to the top of the list to get the free HW3 upgrade
  • For MCU1 vehicles, provide a limited time discount to upgrade to MCU2 and get full access to new features not provided on MCU1 (like recording the cameras), perhaps installing this at the same time as the HW3 processor upgrade
Are current Tesla owners entitled to any relief or is Tesla obligated to do anything about this - NO.

However, Tesla has strong customer loyalty because they typically "do the right thing" for their customers, and wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla do more for current owners, after this steep price decrease.

Looking at the big picture - this price decrease is especially bad news for the other manufacturers bringing out competing long range EVs. By lowering prices, Tesla will make it more difficult for them to sell vehicles at comparable prices, and likely that some (if not all) will end up selling vehicles at a loss, just to compete with Tesla. And the decision to close the stores and shift to online sales completely bypasses the dealerships and further demonstrates how little value dealerships provide in the sales process.

Even if Tesla doesn't do anything more for us than the Early Access Program, we are still satisfied with our S 100D and X 100D, and will get over the short term disappointment with losing so much value in both vehicles overnight.

Even if Tesla doesn't do anything more for us than the Early Access Program, we are still satisfied with our S 100D and X 100D, and will get over the short term disappointment with losing so much value in both vehicles overnight.

Yes. Nothing has changed the value my car has for me personally. (S 100D purchased Dec. 2018)

Capitalism works because a buyer values a purchase more than its price, and the seller's price is more than his cost.

(That said, Early Access Program does not have value for me, so I'm glad I didn't pull that trigger. I love your other suggestions.) :)

I bought my current loaded MS 100D in January 2018. I have no regrets. I love the car. The SC experience (at least here in South Florida) has been spectacular. Before I took delivery, for free they trucked the car on a flatbed to a body shop I'd selected to have it fully wrapped in XPel Ultimate and a chrome delete, then trucked it back for delivery to me (to be clear I paid a 3rd part for the wrap, not Tesla. They handled the process for me for free). After delivery, they came out to my house a half dozen times to track down a stupid rattle or if a wiper blade skittered. They made the car perfect for me.

We plan on buying a second Tesla this fall, a Model 3 for my wife. Car prices go up and down as does everything. Teslas are supercomputers on wheels. When was the last time anyone bought a computer and expected to sell it for anything other than pennies in a few years? It's a car, not an investment. I bought it because I wanted to never buy a drop of gas again, not because I expected to make money on it.

Reactions: dark cloud
For MCU1 vehicles, provide a limited time discount to upgrade to MCU2 and get full access to new features not provided on MCU1 (like recording the cameras)

Just a clarification...dashcam is a feature independent of MCU. It is offered on AP2.5 and later. There is a window of cars (like my own) which have AP2.5 and MCU1 which do have dashcam functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Has anyone noticed the new MS come without rear badging? I wonder if there are other cost cutting of features going on, that are not advertised.
This was announced as a new thing so as to alleviate trim envy. I think the display will still identify battery and whether it’s a “D” model. For visual identification maybe brake calipers will still denote a P?