Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Implications for refunding SR+ to downgrade to SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC, trying to wrap my head around all these changes and noticed some things. Let me start off by saying I got my Model 3 LR RWD back in December 2017 when you had to pay the $5,000 premium interior package.

Now with Tesla offering refunds to downgrade an already delivered SR+ down to a base SR, what does this mean?

Will they take the car back and replace the premium center console with the cheaper open storage center console with power USB and phone dock? No.
Will they replace the "premium textile headliner"? No.
Will they replace the "premium seats"? No.
I think you know what i'm getting at.

Now i know this sounds like more complaining, and it is, but please hear me out. This concerns me because paired with the delay of SR delivery and the downgrading of the SR+ to SR refunds, are we supposed to believe that the premium upgrades package we paid $5,000 for is what you can get in a base Model SR?

TL;DR
Partial Premium Upgrades will not be uninstalled when downgrading SR+ to SR meaning that it is the new base interior, which, minus software differences, the original $5k PUP package only gives you live maps, navigation, 2 extra speakers and i think an amp.

Yes i know im being salty, and people say we got what we paid for, but did we? The 35k model 3 base interior is the same materials used in the 5k premium upgrades pkg, what gives?

I believe that this "new base interior" is likely a temporary stopgap until Tesla's manufacturing grows enough to allow for multiple interiors to be manufactured cost effectively. It allows Tesla to fulfill the $35K promise for now. I sincerely doubt this is the final $35K car.

Reactions: Big Earl
I understand the OP's point but isn't this just another way of stating that the price of the Model 3 has dropped significantly from the 2017 pricing that early adopters paid to be the first ones to get the car?

For those who do order an SR for $35K while it is still available I agree they are getting an amazing deal, especially with the Partial Premium Interior being included.

I understand the OP's point but isn't this just another way of stating that the price of the Model 3 has dropped significantly from the 2017 pricing that early adopters paid to be the first ones to get the car?

For those who do order an SR for $35K while it is still available I agree they are getting an amazing deal, especially with the Partial Premium Interior being included.

Normally, that would be the case. But now there is no PHSYICAL distinction between premium interior and base model interior, not even the glass roof or wood dash, which was promised to only be included in the "Premium" interior edition only. The difference being a few speakers and an amp.

Reactions: turtlesz
They probably only got a couple thousand orders for SR and felt it would not be worth producing the new base interior. Comes down to a business decision.

Agreed. My only issue with all of this is I find that giving a customer a car with a 240 mile battery and heated seats but using software to prevent them from using it, even though it cost no extra to Tesla to allow them to use it, is a bit insulting. It’s one thing if they were reducing the cost by removing the items from the car and lowering their cost. But since they are not, it just feels a little spiteful to me and not particularly customer centric.

• Disagree
Reactions: bijan and MP3Mike
Agreed. My only issue with all of this is I find that giving a customer a car with a 240 mile battery and heated seats but using software to prevent them from using it, even though it cost no extra to Tesla to allow them to use it, is a bit insulting. It’s one thing if they were reducing the cost by removing the items from the car and lowering their cost. But since they are not, it just feels a little spiteful to me and not particularly customer centric.
Tesla is losing money selling an SR for $35k. Their plan is to make it back later with software unlocks. When you pay $2500 for seat warmers they break even. When you pay $3000 for autopilot they finally make some money for their hard work.

Normally, that would be the case. But now there is no PHSYICAL distinction between premium interior and base model interior, not even the glass roof or wood dash, which was promised to only be included in the "Premium" interior edition only. The difference being a few speakers and an amp.
I bought SR+.
I didn't get any mats -frunk, trunk, and floor mats.
And Elon said SR will look just like SR+.
The only things missing will be in the software = 20miles less. 0.3 sec slower to 60mph. no heated seats.
That is to make production line as simple as possible.
Tesla would rather give away free power leatherette seats than complicate factory line, which will cost even more.
Elon is doing this because he promised $35K Tesla years ago.
I am not defending his actions/decisions but merely explaining what he said.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hey TMC, trying to wrap my head around all these changes and noticed some things. Let me start off by saying I got my Model 3 LR RWD back in December 2017 when you had to pay the $5,000 premium interior package.

Now with Tesla offering refunds to downgrade an already delivered SR+ down to a base SR, what does this mean?

Will they take the car back and replace the premium center console with the cheaper open storage center console with power USB and phone dock? No.
Will they replace the "premium textile headliner"? No.
Will they replace the "premium seats"? No.
I think you know what i'm getting at.

Now i know this sounds like more complaining, and it is, but please hear me out. This concerns me because paired with the delay of SR delivery and the downgrading of the SR+ to SR refunds, are we supposed to believe that the premium upgrades package we paid $5,000 for is what you can get in a base Model SR?

TL;DR
Partial Premium Upgrades will not be uninstalled when downgrading SR+ to SR meaning that it is the new base interior, which, minus software differences, the original $5k PUP package only gives you live maps, navigation, 2 extra speakers and i think an amp.

Yes i know im being salty, and people say we got what we paid for, but did we? The 35k model 3 base interior is the same materials used in the 5k premium upgrades pkg, what gives?

All the people who paid $55k-$75k for their model 3 are upset that someone can now buy their exact car for $35k. Sure, the battery is 50kw instead of 75kw and the subwoofer is removed, but its almost the same car. Nobody cares about the browser. Tesla is losing money or breaking even selling it that cheap and it devalues and upsets all the early buyers. People spew off their nonsense about agreeing to the price at the time, depreciating assets, or economies of scale, but most of them have zero skin in the game. Buying a used 2012 Model S doesn’t give you the right to tell a new Model 3 owner to suck it up. The problem with a car is that you finance it for six years. When the price goes down, every month you wish you could keep the extra money that your neighbor saved buying his car below cost to manufacture. Buying a Tesla is a rollercoaster ride and we all have to accept it if we want be owners.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jboles
All the people who paid $55k-$75k for their model 3 are upset that someone can now buy their exact car for $35k. Sure, the battery is 50kw instead of 75kw and the subwoofer is removed, but its almost the same car. Nobody cares about the browser. Tesla is losing money or breaking even selling it that cheap and it devalues and upsets all the early buyers. People spew off their nonsense about agreeing to the price at the time, depreciating assets, or economies of scale, but most of them have zero skin in the game. Buying a used 2012 Model S doesn’t give you the right to tell a new Model 3 owner to suck it up. The problem with a car is that you finance it for six years. When the price goes down, every month you wish you could keep the extra money that your neighbor saved buying his car below cost to manufacture. Buying a Tesla is a rollercoaster ride and we all have to accept it if we want be owners.
Judging from what other EV manufacturers are charging for their cars, I am very happy with what I paid for my Model 3. $40K.
No other EV is faster and cheaper and sexier and techier.

Judging from what other EV manufacturers are charging for their cars, I am very happy with what I paid for my Model 3. $40K.
No other EV is faster and cheaper and sexier and techier.

That's fine and all, but I think you miss the point. Paying the $5k premium for what Tesla assured us was the "top of the line" i.e. open wood decor, glass roof, premium center console, and premium headliner was considered as "the most premium materials throughout" was majorly dishonest because now all these "premium only" materials are in a 35k model 3 with ZERO options added.

They probably only got a couple thousand orders for SR and felt it would not be worth producing the new base interior. Comes down to a business decision.

Or they got more orders but they really don't want to sell it because they don't have enough margin on the base model to sell it, and they'll make more money on the upsell, especially in Europe where manufacturers are starving the market this year.

Similarly if buyers weren't paying for AP, which is essentially a pure-margin option, they'll be better off upselling, especially given that Tesla currently has very little competition at the SR Plus+AP price point.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
That's fine and all, but I think you miss the point. Paying the $5k premium for what Tesla assured us was the "top of the line" i.e. open wood decor, glass roof, premium center console, and premium headliner was considered as "the most premium materials throughout" was majorly dishonest because now all these "premium only" materials are in a 35k model 3 with ZERO options added.

This is simply not accurate.

Several items are software disabled in the 35k car, (ambient lighting, heated seats, and sat maps and streaming music as example) and several more are physically not included in the vehicle (subwoofer and amp for examples)

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Does yours have alcantra ceiling?
My SR+ doesn't.

Has anyone had success downgrading an existing SR+ (post-delivery) to an SR? With or without AP?

I've talked to three different Tesla reps - in sales, a delivery center and technical support -- and haven't found anyone who has a clue...

This is simply not accurate.

Several items are software disabled in the 35k car, (ambient lighting, heated seats, and sat maps and streaming music as example) and several more are physically not included in the vehicle (subwoofer and amp for examples)

I am pretty sure there are no physical differences anymore. Can you confirm that there is no amp and sub in the 35k? I know this was originally the plan but the most recent Tesla communication only mentioned software limitations.

I am pretty sure there are no physical differences anymore. Can you confirm that there is no amp and sub in the 35k? I know this was originally the plan but the most recent Tesla communication only mentioned software limitations.

They mention software limitations compared to the SR+

the SR+ is also missing the physical items I listed- as confirmed by those who've physically received such cars.