Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important FYI re: "Key not in car" warning disabled/inop!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**Warning: your "Key not in the car" warning is inop, according to telcon with Tesla Owner Support a few minutes ago.**

Here's what happened to us this morning. I placed my wife's purse (with her MS key; she's the primary driver) in car, along with her luggage, for the drive to the airport.

Dropped her at curb to run in first (we were late), after which I parked the car some distance away in the parking garage, planning to send her off at the gate later (I work there; TSA isn't an issue).

We did NOT realize she had the ONLY key to the car, yet the car did not, to my knowledge, advise me in any way that the only key in proximity had left the car.

Only after I'd parked and was about to close the door did I search for "my" key--that would be the one I'd left at home sitting on the counter. Our MS was effectively inoperative without a key, ONCE PARKED. Imagine if I'd just dropped her off and then stopped for an errand on the way home . . . . With her key en route to Europe or Asia or _______, and me with the only other key sitting at home, this would have been a major problem.

Fortunately, I ran into airport and caught her in the TSA Security and got the key back from her.

Not good!

Called Tesla a few minutes ago and they advised me, "that due to too many false 'key not in car' warnings, such as while driving (I've had them too), they've temporarily disabled the 'key not in car' warning system while coming up with a better solution."

In the interim, this is, IMHO, very important for us to know!

There are smarter software and phone app solutions for this; let's hope Tesla comes up with some quickly. In the interim, be sure to do a "key check" if you're a Tesla sharing family as something like this might come up and really ruin your day . . . .

Last edited:
The only solution, as far as I know, is to have multiple transponders that can triangulate the fob's location. The Model S acts as if it has only one (I have heard it has more). The 2004 Prius has four, One in the centre console, one on each of the front door handles, and one on the hatch. It's very accurate and won't start the car if the fob is outside--even if it is touching the door.

The only solution, as far as I know, is to have multiple transponders that can triangulate the fob's location. The Model S acts as if it has only one (I have heard it has more). The 2004 Prius has four, One in the centre console, one on each of the front door handles, and one on the hatch. It's very accurate and won't start the car if the fob is outside--even if it is touching the door.

This has been my experience with all of my cars that had keyless entry and start. The Tesla is quite inferior in this regard. :(

Sorry, but that would be difficult as it's her primary driver (an anniversary gift after TWO full years of being married to me:) She wasn't happy, at first (because she knows what these bad boys cost), but now, at 3k+ miles, she's quite pleased!

It's really tempting to say "never give your wife the keys" but I prefer all my limbs attached and body parts in working order, so I won't say that. ;)