Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impound (seized) car insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
The other day my model 3 has been seized by the police due to an insurance issue which made it look as if one of the drivers would be driving uninsured.

I am trying to get impound insurance but struggling to find anyone to cover the model 3? (Current residual value seems to only be around £25-£27k so not sure why I’m struggling so much).

So far I only found 1 quote for £710 for the 28days. WTF?!
For context my yearly (comprehensive) insurance premium is £1050.

Any recommendations?

This is starting to be a very expensive mix up

Have you asked your insurer if you can add it to the policy?
I haven’t… I’m a bit scared they’ll cancel my whole insurance 🫣
The police said sometimes that *can* happen..

Plus I’m going through this whole complaint as their error (in my eyes) is what put me in this whole situation.

If the policy is voided no other *reasonable* inurer covers Tesla for me. 😵‍💫

I’ve been looking through the Direct Line booklet and the impound/seize situation is only mentioned if you’re driving a different vehicle…
So should I assume that it is covered otherwise? As it doesn’t mention it 🤷🏼‍♀️
IMG_8393.jpeg

Reactions: Jason71
I’ve been looking through the Direct Line booklet and the impound/seize situation is only mentioned if you’re driving a different vehicle…
So should I assume that it is covered otherwise? As it doesn’t mention it 🤷🏼‍♀️View attachment 946645

Given that's losses they don't cover, then it would be logical to say yes it's covered.

I think if whichever officer put doubt into your mind that it wasn't covered had not said anything, this would not be an issue for you.

Sadly, some people are more likely to guess an answer than admit they don't know. Especially if, as you say, a mistake has been made.

The hell am I reading?! :) So the police can take your car for a variety of reasons, fair enough, but then take it to a specific place where your insurance may not cover it, and then require you to find another insurance that does cover that specific place, just so you can leave that place??!

Even if the original seize was a mix-up? Like they can't just throw you a bone and roll it out the gate into 'normal insured zone'?

Lol UK. 🤪 🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: Rooster6655
The hell am I reading?! :) So the police can take your car for a variety of reasons, fair enough, but then take it to a specific place where your insurance may not cover it, and then require you to find another insurance that does cover that specific place, just so you can leave that place??!

Even if the original seize was a mix-up? Like they can't just throw you a bone and roll it out the gate into 'normal insured zone'?

Lol UK. 🤪 🤪
Insurance (in the UK) is a strict liability offence, you either have it or you don't.

I'm 99% sure the OP has got the wrong end of the stick in terms of the restriction on the policyholder collecting their impounded car. I'm almost certain this is an exclusion applied to "drive other cars" cover, to prevent anyone from being able to collect any impounded car (which could become uninsured, on the public road, as soon as they stop driving it).

If you're stopped and it's revealed you aren't insured to drive the car, for whatever reason, then the Police have the power to seize it, to prevent it from being driven away after they've left, or even just left there (it's also illegal for a car to be parked on the public road without insurance), etc.

They may allow someone else who is insured to drive it away, if they are present & fit to do so, but it's discretionary and I would assume in most cases wouldn't be practicable for them to permit. Imagine the grief they'd get if they let an uninsured driver carry on after they've stopped them, either because they "gave them a break" or drove off themselves and that person got back in and carried on... hence the seizure.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Insurance (in the UK) is a strict liability offence, you either have it or you don't.

I'm 99% sure the OP has got the wrong end of the stick in terms of the restriction on the policyholder collecting their impounded car. I'm almost certain this is an exclusion applied to "drive other cars" cover, to prevent anyone from being able to collect any impounded car (which could become uninsured, on the public road, as soon as they stop driving it).

If you're stopped and it's revealed you aren't insured to drive the car, for whatever reason, then the Police have the power to seize it, to prevent it from being driven away after they've left, or even just left there (it's also illegal for a car to be parked on the public road without insurance), etc.

They may allow someone else who is insured to drive it away, if they are present & fit to do so, but it's discretionary and I would assume in most cases wouldn't be practicable for them to permit. Imagine the grief they'd get if they let an uninsured driver carry on after they've stopped them, either because they "gave them a break" or drove off themselves and that person got back in and carried on... hence the seizure.

For the sake of my motherland I hope you're right! But the comparethemarket.com article linked by the OP also states some policies may not cover the retrieval of your own impounded car. The ridiculousness of needing some expensive special insurance product valid for 30 days just to drive your car out of a yard just made me chuckle! :) But you're probably right. Gotta be!

For the sake of my motherland I hope you're right! But the comparethemarket.com article linked by the OP also states some policies may not cover the retrieval of your own impounded car. The ridiculousness of needing some expensive special insurance product valid for 30 days just to drive your car out of a yard just made me chuckle! :) But you're probably right. Gotta be!
Get the car towed out of the impound into a public road? Surely that would work out cheaper.
The whole situation does seem utterly ludicrous, which sadly makes me think it might be real...

Get the car towed out of the impound into a public road? Surely that would work out cheaper.
The whole situation does seem utterly ludicrous, which sadly makes me think it might be real...

Sounds like po-po won't release it till he shows them the impound yard cover? Just go down there with your regular insurance and offer a 6-pack if the lads push it out onto the road.

Then get arrested for bribing a police officer. :)

I haven’t… I’m a bit scared they’ll cancel my whole insurance 🫣
The police said sometimes that *can* happen..

Plus I’m going through this whole complaint as their error (in my eyes) is what put me in this whole situation.

If the policy is voided no other *reasonable* inurer covers Tesla for me. 😵‍💫

But about this part - can you not just call Direct line as a prospective customer and ask them to clarify the impound yard cover situation? No need to reveal who you are. Sounds like you probably are covered for retrieving your own car. Or just go to the police and blag it 'Yeah officer, I called Direct line and they said I'm covered to retrieve if it's my own - looky here'.

But about this part - can you not just call Direct line as a prospective customer and ask them to clarify the impound yard cover situation? No need to reveal who you are. Sounds like you probably are covered for retrieving your own car. Or just go to the police and blag it 'Yeah officer, I called Direct line and they said I'm covered to retrieve if it's my own - looky here'.
I am about to do this.

Waiting times for DL rn are atrocious lol I’ve had to call them for this incident like 6x already and had to wait like 1h each time 😵‍💫

Think there’s more to this than meets the eye.

Cops will seize your vehicle if there’s no valid insurance on the vehicle.
While I understand your skepticism, yes there is more that meets the eye a massive misunderstanding on my end and a massive cock-up on DL ends. I refrained from posting every detail to avoid being identifiable.

There currently is an investigation pending on the insurance end.
What happened is this:
Person A (me) has insurance on this car since day 1.
Person B was added.
Person C was added.

Policy renewed - what ensues after this is alleged

Allegedly Person C disappeared from policy after being specifically quoted for, unbeknownst to anyone. - the error.

Person C was driving and gets stopped by police a road away from home. (Relevant to the impound part).

Po-po cannot find person C on insurance database.

The ordeal beggins and everyone is confused.

Person A (not present, but over the phone) explains there is valid insurance as person C is a named driver. Person A offers to come (in exactly 3 mins) and take car away with proof of insurance and what not to avoid seizure as it’s unnecessary. Person A is the registered keeper.
Police refused as allegedly they cannot do that (BS as I’ve heard and seen this being done more than once).
This wouldn’t have been a risk as Person A is the main policy holder and the registered keeper. But hey ho.

Tesla gets driven away on a flat bed protesting in full volume (the Tesla, not the people).
Gets mistreated, as person C didn’t carry key card and po-po threatened person A with an offence in respect to this alleged incident.

Police doesn’t give 3708 notice and it hasn’t arrived via post yet.

Etc etc etc.

Honestly the insurance bit I would understand in the usual circumstance, the owner didn’t have insurance, so it makes sense. It also makes sense why it should be 30 days as if you had no insurance to start with as otherwise you’re immediately back to having no insurance.
I HAVE insurance and yet I allegedly still need this special bloody insurance to get the car out the bloody gate.

For the avoidance of doubt, the insurance have not yet admitted full liability, but admitted half to it so far. - still investigating.