Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y RWD Insurance [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am collecting my Model Y RWD next Tuesday and I have been trying to insure the car. I have noticed on all insurance companies the car is coming up with 647bhp, which is increasing the premium far higher than it should be, not only that... after speaking with Admiral, they have explained that in the event of an accident its highly likely my insurance will be null and void. I have mentioned this to Tesla, raised a complaint as its causing me a lot of stress but they seem to have no answers as of yet.

The model Y Performance and Long Range are both cheaper to insure than the RWD confirming that they have it down as 647bhp.

There are currently Model Y RWD owners driving around (potentially uninsured) and I just want to make them all aware of this issue.

I have yet to pay for my car as I do not want to commit to the car before they sort the insurance out, and then Im paying for a car I cannot drive and they have confirmed that If I do not pay my car will be re allocated to another buyer. So a complaint has been raised, as my car is now sold, and on Tuesday if Tesla dont sort everything out I will have no car...

Annoyingly the Model Y LR first availability was March 23 otherwise I would have purchased one of these, and just as unlucky as I am, after I committed to the finance at 5.9% APR it jumped up to 6.9% and then they opened the stock list for the Model Y and I could have had the LR after all, however the APR is now 6.9% which I really don't want to fork out more money they I need to for :(

I have attached Admiral and a comparison website so you can see what I am referring to.

Has anybody else experienced this poor organisation and service from Tesla before?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 379
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Poor organization and service from Tesla? Sure, people deal with that all the time, but your problem sounds like an insurance company problem, not a Tesla problem. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US the insurance companies require a VIN and they can pull down all the vehicle info from there. Clearly whatever system the insurance places in the UK are pulling their info from is wrong and it would be up to them to make sure it's correct.

Poor organization and service from Tesla? Sure, people deal with that all the time, but your problem sounds like an insurance company problem, not a Tesla problem. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US the insurance companies require a VIN and they can pull down all the vehicle info from there. Clearly whatever system the insurance places in the UK are pulling their info from is wrong and it would be up to them to make sure it's correct.
But surely this could likely lay with Tesla as Tesla may have accidentally given a bhp of 647 instead of 347 and this is why ALL insurance providers have the wrong information?

But surely this could likely lay with Tesla as Tesla may have accidentally given a bhp of 647 instead of 347 and this is why ALL insurance providers have the wrong information?
I know in the US there is a shared insurance database that has all the basic info on every make and model car. If the UK is the same I have no idea where or how that info gets entered but it could have been a mistake on the paperwork submitted by Telsa, or a transcription error on the side of someone at the insurance database. I would try to look for something like what the US EPA has which is a vehicle certification form that has the HP stated on it. If you provide that to the insurance company then you know the issue is on their side and not Tesla:

1669155846560.png

You likely need to ask this in the UK focused subforum, if your location is actually "Cardiff" in the UK. Insurance is different between countries (and companies) and speculating that because the insurance you use or want to use has something wrong in their database, its a problem for "all teslas" is a bit misguided.

Hi there, I have exactly the same issue and it is not just one insurance company in UK involved it is all of them! Even Tesla's insurance partner here Direct Line has the wrong information regarding the RWD. My collection was planned for 29th Nov but I have refused to pay for the car until Tesla resolve this issue. They suggested I insure it under the Long Range title, which apart from being fraudulent completely misses the point. I wanted the RWD as it should be much cheaper to insure than LR. Agree this is unnecessarily stressful, hoping each day that it will be sorted. So many hours wasted checking all of the insurers, but now I've said to them that I'm holding off on the purchase until they sort it. I'll look at the market again after Christmas/NY festivities. I appreciate many won't be able to do this though. If anyone does have success with getting reasonable insurance quotes, please comment here.

Hi All,

I am collecting my Model Y RWD next Tuesday and I have been trying to insure the car. I have noticed on all insurance companies the car is coming up with 647bhp, which is increasing the premium far higher than it should be, not only that... after speaking with Admiral, they have explained that in the event of an accident its highly likely my insurance will be null and void. I have mentioned this to Tesla, raised a complaint as its causing me a lot of stress but they seem to have no answers as of yet.

The model Y Performance and Long Range are both cheaper to insure than the RWD confirming that they have it down as 647bhp.

There are currently Model Y RWD owners driving around (potentially uninsured) and I just want to make them all aware of this issue.

I have yet to pay for my car as I do not want to commit to the car before they sort the insurance out, and then Im paying for a car I cannot drive and they have confirmed that If I do not pay my car will be re allocated to another buyer. So a complaint has been raised, as my car is now sold, and on Tuesday if Tesla dont sort everything out I will have no car...

Annoyingly the Model Y LR first availability was March 23 otherwise I would have purchased one of these, and just as unlucky as I am, after I committed to the finance at 5.9% APR it jumped up to 6.9% and then they opened the stock list for the Model Y and I could have had the LR after all, however the APR is now 6.9% which I really don't want to fork out more money they I need to for :(

I have attached Admiral and a comparison website so you can see what I am referring to.

Has anybody else experienced this poor organisation and service from Tesla before?
Hi mate,

It's the same for me also! Called LV and Admiral and they only have the 647BHP RWD, the nice lady gave me a whopping quote of £1660 which is crazy for someone with 15 years NCB and 16 years driving and no claims, etc! I mentioned to the insurance reps that the correct BHP is 347 all they said was I can wait for the registration next week and that might help! You had any further luck ?

Did anyone manage to sort this? I am potentially insured as the wrong variant and may actually be paying more. Also, even after 2+weeks of ownership, none of the price comparison sites recognize my reg number (in spite of DVLA showing up the correct car details against the reg)

Did anyone manage to sort this? I am potentially insured as the wrong variant and may actually be paying more. Also, even after 2+weeks of ownership, none of the price comparison sites recognize my reg number (in spite of DVLA showing up the correct car details against the reg)
Does not look like it mate! I called my insurance Aviva and they said they will not be insuring me for this vehicle! Looks like if you go via the comparison site it actually is listed but with the incorrect BHP. Did your insurance provider suggest you will be refunded the difference when the correct variant is up on the database?

I'm new here, ordered a Model Y RWD due for delivery in January, leased through my companies EV car scheme. I'm just a little shocked about the insurance costs....

The only options seem to from comparethemarket with Admiral at £1600 with £1000 excess. I'm 42 with no claims, no points, and full no claims bonus (9+ years) living in Manchester. But when i click through the website it tells me to call up, when I call up the customer service cant even confirm the quote until I have my number plate.

Looks like i'm not the only one in this boat....

Thanks!

I'm new here, ordered a Model Y RWD due for delivery in January, leased through my companies EV car scheme. I'm just a little shocked about the insurance costs....

The only options seem to from comparethemarket with Admiral at £1600 with £1000 excess. I'm 42 with no claims, no points, and full no claims bonus (9+ years) living in Manchester. But when i click through the website it tells me to call up, when I call up the customer service cant even confirm the quote until I have my number plate.

Looks like i'm not the only one in this boat....

Thanks!
Guess u didn't read the previous comments. I think you should
The information about the car is wrong in the DVLA database, listed as a 675 hp car. No wonder your premium is same as a super car

On the other hand, folks here in Europe, this is normal insurance costs

Hi there again, been in direct touch with Thatcham Research who hold the insurance data for the UK to highlight the incorrect bhp they hold. They replied quickly and said Tesla have been in touch to correct the bhp to 295 from 647. On their database the variant is called the "I Automatic" so if you do a vehicle search for Model Y you'll see it has already been corrected. Thatcham say that the insurers will recognise this as the RWD variant. However, the different insurance companies upload this to their systems at random times and frequency so it will probably take weeks to ripple through the insurance market. I hope those who have been incorrectly charged for their insurance will get big refunds!

Hi mate,

It's the same for me also! Called LV and Admiral and they only have the 647BHP RWD, the nice lady gave me a whopping quote of £1660 which is crazy for someone with 15 years NCB and 16 years driving and no claims, etc! I mentioned to the insurance reps that the correct BHP is 347 all they said was I can wait for the registration next week and that might help! You had any further luck ?
This isn’t crazy. 12 Yrs NCB, 25yrs clean license - £1,900 for a Y LR.

From £500ish for my BMW

Receiving my 346BHP today and had no other choice but to call admiral and get the insurance done manually for £3700/year and pay the whole amount upfront. WTF!!! I currently drive a supercharged 4.5L Porsche and pay £60/month for insurance. So basically I have 14 days to find another insurer and cancel admiral police.

Receiving my 346BHP today and had no other choice but to call admiral and get the insurance done manually for £3700/year and pay the whole amount upfront. WTF!!! I currently drive a supercharged 4.5L Porsche and pay £60/month for insurance. So basically I have 14 days to find another insurer and cancel admiral police.
This is unacceptable. No other word for it. Feels like some across the board price gouging going on.

I was lucky enough to pay an extra £380 to transfer the new car today for the next 7 months! Would be much lower if it’s didn’t show the BHP 637! That’s with Aviva
Be careful. I asked why 637 BHP is much cheaper than 346 BHP and whether they can use that quote instead. I was told that in case of an accident my insurance policy could be nullified because it's not the correct car.