Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive how much effort Tesla Energy will waste on nonviable plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for another data point. I had a local contractor come out to give an estimate before Tesla. The satellite image of my house was not good at all. He then pulled up another app and it had a much better view of my roof. He said that it was an app that you had to pay to use and used aerial photography. This photo was much more recent and was a much better image. I live in a highly wooded area and have had some trees trimmed and removed within the past year. In fact with the more accurate photo he was able to find room for a 60 panel layout when the Tesla job was 48 panels. I recently found out that Tesla used the wrong house when it created my proposed panel layout. It appears that they used my neighbors house/roof for the layout. My roof us completely different. I now have a site survey scheduled at the end of the month. Hopefully they will have access to the better roof image.

Jay

I know Google earth has a higher rez commercial service that you don’t see on the web when you go to Maps. Not sure what Apple has available. Both companies for their public maps seem to update their maps fairly frequently but sure that depends on your area and recent construction projects. But I’d be surprised if Tesla and most large installers don’t use higher rez images. When you got your layout did you realize it was the wrong roof design or not until somewhat later?

BTW if you’ve ever noticed painted white crosshair type lines on the street surface they are used for lining up aerial images for updating maps.

Last edited:
Reactions: cantbechanged
I know Google earth has a higher rez commercial service that you don’t see on the web when you go to Maps. Not sure what Apple has available. Both companies for their public maps seem to update their maps fairly frequently but sure that depends on your area and recent construction projects. But I’d be surprised if Tesla and most large installers don’t use higher rez images. When you got your layout did you realize it was the wrong roof design or not until somewhat later?

I noticed immediately that it wasn't my roof. Luckily I was able to reach my advisor right away and that's when I scheduled the site survey. I also looked a Google's Project Sunroof for my address and it said "Sorry, Project Sunroof hasn't reached that address yet". It did however show the satellite image of my roof. The image was not clear enough for an accurate panel layout though. Hopefully the person doing the site survey will be able to measure the roof and take photos if the images are not good enough.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset