Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improvements in build quality after factory re-opening?

Have you had issues with your Model Y (pre or post factory reopening) requiring service?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no, you posted the same post with the same links at least twice.

I can't help if the information was germane to multiple threads. Seeing the bitter truth more than once must really hurt? Thanks, redundancy police. Another shot of teslaquila. Thank you!

My Y must have been built in the factory vs tent because I have had no issues other than a malformed spoiler which they fixed right away.

As far as I know, all of the Model Y are still built in the tent enclosed line. Glad you had a good build. Hyperbole aside, not sure if that affects quality. We might get more insight when the JD Powers report issues on Tesla the first time this week.

With all the bad deliveries, I will be waiting maybe to the fall. My Model 3 came about 8 months into production and it had no issues on delivery.

This poll seems to prove that more than half of deliveries are sub-par. That was my experience with 8 deliveries and 5 needing at least one visit to the body shop.

• Informative
Reactions: DennyL
May 20th was a popular build date! Also picked up blue AWD non-performance in San Francisco. VIN 65XX. Model Y looks great inside and out. Same rear seat back misalignment as everyone else. Not a big deal to me. Only other flaw is a slight scratch low on the front bumper which the rep pointed out (I hadn’t noticed it) which will be buffed out or front bumper replaced in service appt. this week while Home Link is installed. Ordered ECO hitch for bike rack. Every time I read or watch on You Tube about Model Y defects I look at my car again and I don’t have those problems. Not to discount others who do, but Also issues aren’t universal.

Reactions: rxlawdude and MY-Y
Personal attack? Really? With all the disparaging comments you've made to anyone that disproves your gross misrepresentations of the frequency of MY issues?

Really?

Look at the poll results. Pretty much in line with my delivery experience with 5 of 8 deliveries having something requiring body work. Get mad at the truth and not me. Kinda hard to keep blindly defending Tesla with data like this.

The poll doesn't have the best wording, as it forces a choice between

... I "have not had significant issues"

and

... I "have had issues requiring service"

I personally chose the 2nd choice, but "requiring service" encompasses issues large and small. So those that had service done may largely still have not had significant issues.

Edit: although I will say, the MY marks my 3rd of 3 Teslas that have required service visits immediately after purchase to rectify small cosmetic issues. In the past 6 years I have purchased:

- 1 new BMW
- 2 new Volkswagens
- 2 new Toyotas
- 1 new Honda
- 1 new Volvo
- 1 new Jeep
- 3 new Teslas

1 VW had a cosmetic issue I had fixed immediately after purchase. The jeep had a faulty door lock at delivery. Other than that, I never had to bring the non-Teslas in for rectification/repair once.

HOWEVER, I still chose to get a new MY, so I obviously consider having to play the role of QC technician a worthwhile price to pay for the other benefits of owning Tesla. And I think they're far enough ahead (read: have built a strong enough competitive moat) that competition will definitely show up soon and beat them on initial quality, but won't be able to catch up to the software/hardware engineering under the skin.

But yes, it still annoys me that my 4 doors don't align perfectly with eachother or the body, and that they can't seem to figure out how to align the headlights with the quarter panels, fenders, and bumper after owning 2 model 3s and 1 model y over 2.5 years...

Last edited: