Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase ground clearance in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a model 3 and upon bringing it home I found it is scraping my driveway slightly on entry. I have tried driving at an angle, and that works fine when I am the only one in the car, but when there are other people there the weight is enough to scrape even with angle driving.

I was wondering if there is any easy way to gain just a smidge of increased clearance in the car? One thought is to get thicker tires. The car came with the standard 18" 235/45R18 tires. I am about to purchase winter tires, and I wondered if I ordered a "taller" set if that would give me sufficient clearance.

Any thoughts? Has anyone found taller tires that fit the Model 3 18" wheels? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

For me it is a point in the bend. My driveway slants up coming out of my garage and then slants down sharply at the sidewalk.

Pulling out once from the left side (if facing towards house) managed to knock the undercarriage of the passanger side of my car loose (it dropped free from the car by a quarter inch).

There is one spot on the far right that if I leave at the exact proper angle I can avoid a scrape... so I have been mastering the technique of finding that spot...

First car that’s ever had a problem on this driveway. The M3 is just a little too low to the ground.

I just bought a model 3 and upon bringing it home I found it is scraping my driveway slightly on entry. I have tried driving at an angle, and that works fine when I am the only one in the car, but when there are other people there the weight is enough to scrape even with angle driving.

Do you have some pictures? It sounds like you have a "rolled curb", which the previously mentioned "Bridjit" would address. But perhaps it is a different problem, and the concrete grinder alone might be sufficient depending on the issue.

It sounds similar to my problem. I would have had to enter the driveway EXTREMELY slowly to avoid scraping the P3D, and it may have still scraped (the AWD cleared).

On the questionable advice of a friend who will remain unnamed, I constructed my own rebar-reinforced concrete blocks, which have been working ok. However, I would not wish the terrible ordeal of constructing these on anyone. I spent 6 weeks (part time of course, but still) constructing these blocks. And a concrete grinder was required to fine tune the bottom curve to exactly match the (inconsistent) curb shape.

They're working ok, though! A little cracking at the edge of some of the early iteration blocks, but overall proving to be quite robust - and if I lightly mortar them in place I think the cracking issue will be completely resolved (it's caused by slight rocking of the blocks if they aren't perfectly molded to the curb shape). Copious use of rebar/rewire is mandatory. It's cheaper than Bridjit and looks a little better. Each block weighs 65 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_3059.jpg
    IMG_3059.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 1,022
I’ve seen my neighbor doing similar to that, except the concrete was directly poured onto the dip with a pvc pipe under for drainage. That seems to be much less work.

The P3D+ is one of the highest clearance cars we own besides the X. BMWs (M, M sport) and Mercedes (Sport) are lower than the P3D, at least the front bumper is.

I scrape if someone is sitting in the back seat when going in/out of my garage. I examined the problem and if I had to have someone in the back seat I would have to put a small wood ramp at the front of my garage to lift up the back tires enough (I always back in) to clear my steep drive. The problem is that it is steep until the garage door then flat, and the wheels that are in the garage need to be raised a touch, a 1" piece of plywood would probably be enough to fix the problem. I really would like the model S's air suspension to raise up a bit...

I’ve seen my neighbor doing similar to that, except the concrete was directly poured onto the dip with a pvc pipe under for drainage. That seems to be much less work.

That was not appealing to me because it is illegal and the city might make me remove it (which would be very very difficult!). My solution is removable (even when/if I add mortar it will be removable - the very, very thin mortar will just provide for an "exact" fit of the blocks and the city won't care about it). This also allows for easier cleaning and unclogging of the drainage channel, if necessary.

We sell lift kits for the Model 3, it is a 2" lift and compatible with OEM and aftermarket suspension. We sold 5 sets made to order, and are currently taking orders for the next batch. We are at 3/5, so please let us know if you want to put down a deposit!

The reasons we hear most are:
1) Ground Clearance - driveways specifically
2) Rough Roads/Offroading/Living in mountains
3) Ease of entry for elderly/physically limited folks, many people want a Tesla but can't afford a Model X

I just bought a model 3 and upon bringing it home I found it is scraping my driveway slightly on entry.
Wow, you have received a lot of good advice in this thread. If you posted photos of your driveway showing where your car scrapes you might get more specific advice.

We sell lift kits for the Model 3, it is a 2" lift and compatible with OEM and aftermarket suspension.
Interesting, good to know. I don’t see that product on your website, I assume because it is special order? Cost?
Model 3 AWD | Mountain Pass Performance

Wow, you have received a lot of good advice in this thread. If you posted photos of your driveway showing where your car scrapes you might get more specific advice.

Interesting, good to know. I don’t see that product on your website, I assume because it is special order? Cost?
Model 3 AWD | Mountain Pass Performance

We have been debating putting it on the site, it was a custom lift kit, but to save the original customer on machining costs, we made 5 sets.

Here is a photo of our car equipped with the lift kit and stock suspension. I would love to share photos of the actual pieces, but after having our 365mm BBK get copied due to our sharing of photos and dimensions, we now have to keep these things a bit more under wraps. Sorry, we wish it didn't have to be that way! Apologies for the low-quality photo, it was taken with my phone.

Feel free to email us at [email protected] for more information.

20180914_105801.jpg

You should put it on the web site since I searched for a lift kit weeks ago, and did not find one... There are probably a few like me that will search.

Does it affect the mileage/handling/etc?
It will reduce your range a tiny bit, more air is flowing underneath the car and also hitting the front of your tires. Handling is as normal, of course the CG is a little higher, but it was already much lower than that of a normal car.