Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indoor or Outdoor 240 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought outdoor, but I just plugged into my 110 indoors and the adapters cable reaches under the garage to my car.
The nice thing is I can verify that the car is charging without going outside.
And it saves the adapter brick from the elements.
Thanks!

That’s what I’m doing, I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed just inside the garage door and can get the cable under my garage door with the brick inside. Going to put a little hook outside for the cable as well.
Do you think you can post couple of pictures of your set up inside and outside and garage door closes please. I am in Manalapan New Jersey looking to install 14-50 outlet inside my garage, but the car will be outside.
What do you do in the winter special in the snow is it OK to call being outside charging?
Thank you.

Do you think you can post couple of pictures of your set up inside and outside and garage door closes please. I am in Manalapan New Jersey looking to install 14-50 outlet inside my garage, but the car will be outside.
What do you do in the winter special in the snow is it OK to call being outside charging?
Thank you.
Sure, attached. I don't foresee any issue charging outdoors in the winter (although I plan to sell one of my MGB's, currently taking up space in my garage, to get the car indoors). We've had 2 tropical storms come through in the last month and no issues with 6" and 9" of rain, respectively...
IMG_0499.jpgIMG_1386.jpgIMG_1385.jpgIMG_1387.jpg

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I did something similar. I had my electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet just inside the garage, where I hang the Mobile Connector. The cord goes under the garage door and hangs in a holster attached to the wall, which keeps water out of the connector end. I set the garage door mechanism to stop just above the floor so there is no pressure on the cable. Has been fine for a year so far. I had the electrician use 6 AWG in case I wanted to install a wall connector later, but the 32 amp mobile connector is fine for my needs.

Attachments

• IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: DanDi58
Sure, attached. I don't foresee any issue charging outdoors in the winter (although I plan to sell one of my MGB's, currently taking up space in my garage, to get the car indoors). We've had 2 tropical storms come through in the last month and no issues with 6" and 9" of rain, respectively...
View attachment 708796View attachment 708797View attachment 708798View attachment 708799
Thank you very much for the info and the pictures.
How do you keep garage door from corruption the cable, my garage door is pretty heavy and slams at the end when it closes.

I did something similar. I had my electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet just inside the garage, where I hang the Mobile Connector. The cord goes under the garage door and hangs in a holster attached to the wall, which keeps water out of the connector end. I set the garage door mechanism to stop just above the floor so there is no pressure on the cable. Has been fine for a year so far. I had the electrician use 6 AWG in case I wanted to install a wall connector later, but the 32 amp mobile connector is fine for my needs.
Thank you for the info, I’m not sure if my garage door can be programmed to stop at certain point, it’s about 22 years old and it’s a Genie. I guess I can close the door manually when charging the car outside.

Thank you very much for the info and the pictures.
How do you keep garage door from corruption the cable, my garage door is pretty heavy and slams at the end when it closes.
Well, I had a bit of a gap where the seal on the bottom ends and the actual side of the door - so I wired the cable to the door track so it would always be in that gap. That particular door has an inoperable automatic door closer (well it is intermittent so I just detach the door from the track. My running MGB is on that side so I don't use it too much anyway. That will change when I actually move the car into that bay. I'll get it fixed at that point.

Well, I had a bit of a gap where the seal on the bottom ends and the actual side of the door - so I wired the cable to the door track so it would always be in that gap. That particular door has an inoperable automatic door closer (well it is intermittent so I just detach the door from the track. My running MGB is on that side so I don't use it too much anyway. That will change when I actually move the car into that bay. I'll get it fixed at that point.
Got it.

Since I was having an electrician add a 14-50 plug, I just had him had a pair of 14-50 plugs, one on each side of the wall, so that one was indoors and the other was outdoors (with a lock box). It wasn't that much more to add the other outlet. My wife is parranoid about critters getting in, so leaving a gap on the bottom was a non-starter. (Our neighborhood has lots of frogs and bunnies running around outside)

One idea that might work for some of you is to install an exhaust hose port (like this) in the wall of the garage so you can pass the charger through to the car when you need to charge, and then close up the port when you're not actively charging. Using the port, you don't need to leave the garage door open, and it keeps the critters out when not in use. You could also cut a piece of PE foam to seal the hole around the charging cable so nothing sneaks in while you're charging.