Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inductive Phone Charger?

PagodaY

Dec 23, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
Inspected my MY yesterday and found that the charger will not charge either of my Samsung Galaxy 8s with their cases on. Took off the cases and they charged fine.
Both phones charge fine at home with their cases on. SA said that's normal.
Was he BSing me? Should I insist they replace it?

Robospartan

Sep 21, 2020
Southbury, CT
Inspected my MY yesterday and found that the charger will not charge either of my Samsung Galaxy 8s with their cases on. Took off the cases and they charged fine.

I did a test drive yesterday at the Milford, CT SC and my Galaxy S20 was able to charge on the induction pad while still in the case.

The issue might be that your case is too thick for the Tesla charging pad, so maybe pick up a thinner case from Amazon and test it out. I use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid (slim fit case).

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

M0del Yada

Jun 23, 2020
Florida

No. You need a spacer to increase the lip at the bottom of the charger so the phone will "seat" properly when using a thicker case.

You can order one from a 3rd party, use eBay, or have a 3D printer make one for you.

This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle

No he is correct .. QI chargers and cases dont mix well .. it varies from charger to charger, you were lucky with your home charger. Of course it all depends on case size (thickness mostly, the charger coils need to be VERY close to the phone back.

SEndicott

May 18, 2020
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a thin case on my Samsung S10+, my wife have a thicker case on her iPhone 10.
I can charge on either side of the charger no problem. If we both charge, I con only charge on the right pad and her iPhone needs to be on the left pad. We have the same experience in her MY as well.

Raiders

Mar 14, 2020
Guam
The stock Tesla wireless charger did not charge my iPhone x through my Otterbox Symmetry Popsocket case. I switched it out for the Jeda Pad and it charges fine now.

• Helpful
Reactions: srlawren

SandDune

Nov 22, 2019
Seattle, WA
Likewise, switched my stock charger out for the Jeda (v3) and all my problems went away. The factory charger works great in certain situations but were far too finicky for me (or more specifically my wife's slightly thicker phone case).

• Helpful
Reactions: Raiders

Iceman23

Apr 26, 2020
NJ
After ios14 update I seen my phone won’t charge with my case that has always charged.

not sure what Apple did but it definitely screwed it up

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC