Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any solution to the poor inductive phone charger behavior in Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use an iPhone 14 Pro.

I have noticed that the charge mat in my model Y isn't as useful as I thought it would be. It's a great place to set my phone because I never forget it when its in plain sight and I don't care much about the charging speed but I almost don't want to put my phone there because my phone gets so hot! I charge exclusively with inductive chargers (both Apple MagSafe and Qi) at home and never have overheating issues but in my Tesla it's like I put my phone in the microwave or something! 😱 And not only does my phone get hot but the heat makes it stop charging and even on a 6 hour drive I arrive at my destination with a dead battery.

Has anybody found a good solution to this poorly designed charge mat? I tried turning my phone upside down but that doesn't make it any better. Is there an insert that might position my phone better, or a replacement charge mat I can add after market? Or a way to disable the coils so I can use it as a place to rest my phone but not a charger so my phone doesn't burn up every time I drive? I prefer not to put my phone in the center console because I tend to forget it. I don't mind buying a 3rd party product or retrofit but really want to find a solution for the existing "charge zone".

Also, does anybody know if any particular iPhone works better than any other? Ie do the larger iPhone Pro Max models work any better? I might consider getting one of those when I upgrade this year.

Inductive charging is sensitive to coil alignment. It either doesn't work or generates a lot of heat when misaligned. Even when aligned well this type of charging tends to generate heat. It's possible that you are capable of "centering" your phone properly at home but in the car the iPhone 14 Pro is probably too big to align properly. Hopefully someone knows how to unplug one side of the charger. I have a 2020 model 3 that didn't come with this stock so I can't try. I added inductive charging and can control mine but because it's aftermarket.

Yeah all makes sense. I just wonder if there’s either some strategy or product to help me center it consistently or retrofit to make it more compatible with iPhones. Or even a new phone model that might be better aligned with the placement of the coils in the car.

The service manuals, now free for personal use, show how to replace the inductive charger. There is a single plug that powers the whole thing, accessible from underneath. The procedure is more involved than I thought, maybe there's a simpler way when you just want to unplug...
Link, but you'll need to register... : https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-3FAA2D8C-1213-4FE3-BBD3-AC80C2BD1E04.html

EDIT: IF you have a phone case, maybe removing the case would help.

A couple of points: the induction charging in the Model Y is 15 watts, I believe, so you may wish to check the rate the other units you are using charge at. As a test, I suggest you remove the case from the phone and see what happens. Some cases are relatively thick and reduce charging efficient. If the other unit(s) charge at a higher rate this may be why it works at home but not in the car.

Have there been any updates to potential solutions for wireless charging on the MY? My IPhone 15 Pro Max will not charge at all with the case on, even when turned up side down. It does work with the case off but it’s too much hassle to remove the case every time I set it down. My case works fine with every other wireless charger I’ve tried.

I ultimately found an iPhone case I really like on my iPhone 15 Pro Max which actually works well with the inductive charger in my Model Y. Better than any other case and better than without a case. With this case I actually find that it can charge slowly when upright, faster when upside down, or not at all when flipper over which is useful. The brand of the case if Pitaka and I’m pretty happy with it.

Can you post a link where the case can be purchased?
The case I got is called "Pitaka" and I got it on Amazon. It;s not cheap but it still looks great 8 month later, it's not going to offer the ultimate drop protection (won't save your phone when falling from the Eiffel Tower) but I've dropped it once or twice from waist level and it has been fine. Seems to be a good blend between protection and size/weight and works well with my car, so highly recommended.

Works very well, looks and functions how the stock charger was intended.

Last edited: