Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really thrilled that Elon was posting on Twitter yesterday! I was discouraged by the initial launch. A little by the front end of the car and more majorly by the dash/steering wheel design.

The front has been slowly growing on me and I kind of like it now. Part of the reason I feel it was so in my face is because at the events the cars were up high and the nose was pretty much at eye level. I think it is more important to look at the car where the nose is more at knee level. In those photos the car looks sharp. I don't plan on laying on the ground to evaluate most cars front ends. In fact I think if you look at the 3 series BMW from that angle it has similar bluntiness. Plus if you look at the X and ignore the small grill opening the lines are similar. Perhaps Tesla is trying to keep the blunt nose as a new design language that will appear in all its upcoming models to identify the brand from a distance. Some cars this helps and others it really doesn't (like Acura I used to love Acuras but I really dislike their nose design language now and unfortunately it is on every car they make).

Second about the dash it is slightly growing on me too but I still have major concerns. It was nice that Elon addressed it and I do feel that now whatever I get (I still plan on buying) it will be the future. I do have some concerns about the vents. I really love having air blowing on my face on hot days and I hope I can achieve that with their new system.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeff N
Does anybody know if any 0-60 times were taken on the reveal day? Would be nice to have a rough benchmark for the production awd car to beat. Judging by the reactions from the videos I have seen, they were not slow

I was thinking more along the lines of if any of the press who rodding the car had a GPRS 0-60 app. Guess they were probably too excited to think about that :)

Or even just a ride video that was showing the 15" display during the acceleration run.

Reactions: Chrisuk83
I loved reading all of his tweets yesterday, it is heartening to see how much of an active interest he takes with his customer base. I do think my fiancee was becoming slightly annoyed with me though, because I kept saying things like, "OH! GUESS WHAT NOW? THE DUAL MOTOR WILL BE LESS THAN THE S/X!!!"

Hah. After reading the exchanges about both the Federal Tax Credit and the delivery schedule, I am somewhat more optimistic that I'll stand a chance at getting the full amount as a non-owner, early East Coast reservation.
Just keep saving and saving in order to highly option your car. The more options you add the better. I know that's easier said than done but every bit helps!

Does anybody know if any 0-60 times were taken on the reveal day? Would be nice to have a rough benchmark for the production awd car to beat. Judging by the reactions from the videos I have seen, they were not slow
The car was full of 4 people so it was probably a tad slower than usual. I bet they'll increase it in 2 years anyway. I hope it'll go sub 4 seconds in the performance model (without ludicrous mode) the S goes 3.3 currently

More Elon info:
  • The Model3 won't be a hatchback, but he believes they can increase the opening size (tweet)
    • Q: "The trunk opening on the model 3 now is rather very small, any chance of increasing its size?"
    • EM: "won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height"
  • Vegan Interior will be an option for Model3 (tweet)
  • He is serious about cowbells (tweet)
    • EM: "Signing off from impromptu Twitter AMA. Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, we really will have more cow bells."

I'm a bit concerned about this space ship / U shaped steering wheel. It's going to be realy funky driving with a u shaped wheel. I"m not the type of driver that keeps both hands at 9 and 3'oclock all the time.

But all the cool sci-fi actions heroes have U-shapped steering wheels.
1960s TV batmobile had top half of steering wheel chopped off...
interiorcolor.jpg

Knight Rider / Kitt:
article-2594933-1CC286FF00000578-382_634x415.jpg