Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info and Hints from Elon Tweets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seemed necessary for autopilot, but given this most recent spate of tweets (he listed autopilot as one of the unique feature on the Model S), we might actually not be getting autopilot on the Model 3. It might be manual or full self driving as the only options (which had never occurred to me before). That removes some of the motivation for HUD in the 3.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Thank you kindly.

@Topher, in that tweet Elon was listing some features that distinguished the Model S from BMW 5 and 6 series, not from the Model 3:

"Model S is like BMW 5 and 6 series, but much faster, more storage space + Autopilot"​

In a different tweet Elon distinguished the S and 3 with no mention of autonomous driving being a difference: "Only Model S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs one, auto extend handles …" Elon Musk on Twitter

And Model 3's autonomous driving was all over the tweet-storm this morning. EAP/FSD is a central feature of Model 3. No question about it.

in that tweet Elon was listing some features that distinguished the S from BMW 5 and 6 series, not from the Model 3:

Except that the BMW 5 series does have autopilot from what I can tell.

Been reading the tweet storm. Don't remember anything explicitly talking about EAP (as opposed to FSD). Can you point that out?

Thank you kindly.

when did elon say "from volume shipments?"
He didn't. I'm guessing. Unless, I'm unconsciously remembering him saying that in a conference call (since he did discuss the timeline for Model 3 volume and release in many conference calls, and I don't remember everything all the time). You can go look up and listen to about 5 hours of conference calls he's been in to check, but I don't really feel like it because I don't think it's really worth the time since I already listened to most of them. They are pretty boring punctuated by implications that are useful in tracking what's going on (and filled with financial and banking talk).

Except that the BMW 5 series does have autopilot from what I can tell.

Been reading the tweet storm. Don't remember anything explicitly talking about EAP (as opposed to FSD). Can you point that out?

Thank you kindly.

"Autopilot" refers to Tesla technology. BMW doesn't have it (or anything close).

Here are three examples of Elon referring to Model 3 (like all Teslas since 10/2016) having Autopilot and capability for self driving once software is ready.

IMG_0309.PNG
IMG_0310.PNG
IMG_0311.PNG

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
"Autopilot" refers to Tesla technology. BMW doesn't have it (or anything close).

That isn't what BMW thinks.

Here are three examples of Elon referring to Model 3 (like all Teslas since 10/2016) having Autopilot and capability for self driving once software is ready.

Only one of those talks about AP, the rest talk about FSD, which is the distinction I am making. The first does seem to imply autopilot (though that could mean a lot of things).

[To be clear: I am not saying I *want* this. Or that I am convinced they *will* do this. Just that I saw a possibility.]

Thank you kindly.

• Funny
Reactions: njxman
That isn't what BMW thinks.

Only one of those talks about AP, the rest talk about FSD, which is the distinction I am making. The first does seem to imply autopilot (though that could mean a lot of things).

[To be clear: I am not saying I *want* this. Or that I am convinced they *will* do this. Just that I saw a possibility.]

Thank you kindly.

I see the distinction you are drawing. I personally do not believe Elon is making that distinction or that Tesla would install the hardware for EAP/FSDC (which is what I read him as saying) but disable EAP. But either way we should find out soon enough.

This is the part about which I am dubious. Monitoring EAP requires constant checking between what the car sees, and reality. It may be that Tesla can pull it off, but I can't envision it yet.
I have only driven a few hours in AP-enabled Teslas. But I did not feel it was necessary to be constantly switching my attention back and forth between the drivers display and the road. I focused on the road and listened for audible alerts indicating I might need to take over. I found that more relaxing than actively steering the car.

So I do not agree that "Monitoring EAP requires constant checking between what the car sees, and reality." That sounds like you aren't spending enough time watching the road.

So, with the past statement that the smallest pack would be under 60 and this one that they can't fit larger than 75, are we looking at pack options of 55, 65, and 75?
I expect just two choices: the base capacity (likely 55) and the optional 75 which Elon appears to have confirmed today (he tweeted that 75kWh was the highest capacity battery that would fit in a 3 based on current battery energy density values, leaving open of course the possibility that in the future the 3 could have an optional battery size greater than 75).

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva