Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My included Gen 2 is in my girlfriends garage about 90 miles away. Using it at 20amp 120v for 6-7 miles/hr. I’ll try to remember to grab it the next weekend I’m there. That will give the Gen 1 another week of testing. Was getting 24m/hr @208v 32a. My guess is 30-32 m/hr @277v 32a.
We will see in a week or so.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx
CA7F3160-1E4D-46E9-AA2E-12534858EC04.jpeg

As promised 32amp model 3 charger on 277VAC 32amp. 33mi/hr. No problems.

Update on 40amp Charger: Nothing to update. Working perfectly. :)

Next I am wondering if DC will pass through and be used or if it will alarm out.
Example: battery solar backup

No, DC won't pass through. (The UMC is essentially a J1772 EVSE which is all built around passing AC.) And even if it did you would need a DC-DC converter prior to the car to bring the voltage to the level that the cars is asking for to charge the battery. (Essentially you would either have to emulate a Supercharger or use the CHAdeMO adapter and emulate CHAdeMO.)

I know at one time @wk057 was planning to reverse engineer the CHAdeMO adapter so that he could "Supercharge" his cars directly from his home-built PowerPack, but I never saw that materialize.

I know at one time @wk057 was planning to reverse engineer the CHAdeMO adapter so that he could "Supercharge" his cars directly from his home-built PowerPack, but I never saw that materialize.

Nah, I ended up just reverse engineering the supercharger protocol instead and built a custom supercharger :cool:
Unfortunately it was a huge mess of wires and prototype board that I never moved out of the prototype phase, and almost everything I used for the project was repurposed at some point.

Maybe I'll get back to it. I probably should put the supercharger stalls I bought to good use instead of just bring show pieces.

Old pic from when my garage was clean, and I still had a P85:
2017-01-18 16.41.19-1920.jpg

My wishful thinking was hoping it was similar to a laptop computer power supply. If you supply DC instead of AC, it just passes through the rectifier that was going to turn it into DC anyway.
Not even close. Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger, with some big relays that direct the DC power input right into the battery, not into the charger. The battery management system is in constant communication with the off-board charger stack instructing it to regulate the voltage and current applied.

If you just randomly fed some amount of HVDC into the power port, either (a) nothing would happen or (b) you'd let the magic smoke out of some key component, and something unpleasant would happen, probably ending in an insurance claim.

Nah, I ended up just reverse engineering the supercharger protocol instead and built a custom supercharger :cool:
Unfortunately it was a huge mess of wires and prototype board that I never moved out of the prototype phase, and almost everything I used for the project was repurposed at some point.

Maybe I'll get back to it. I probably should put the supercharger stalls I bought to good use instead of just bring show pieces.

Old pic from when my garage was clean, and I still had a P85:
2017-01-18 16.41.19-1920.jpg
I always liked the yellow wrap job, plus the on-screen display update.

My wishful thinking was hoping it was similar to a laptop computer power supply. If you supply DC instead of AC, it just passes through the rectifier that was going to turn it into DC anyway.

Yeah, the issue is that when you DC charge there is no rectifier in the car in use, it just connects directly to the battery with the external equipment doing all of the voltage control.

Reactions: APotatoGod
View attachment 368823 View attachment 368822
Current setup using 40amp Charger with 277VAC 50amp plug.

Question: Which "hot" pin on the UMC did you wire the actual HOT to and which HOT did you actually wire to Neutral?

What I am wondering is if the UMC cares which pin has voltage potential to ground vs. which one does not?

Presumably one of the safety checks it does is to make sure the ground is good, which means there needs to be voltage potential between at least one of the HOT wires and ground. (since the UMC supports 120v charging it has to be able to support this mode)

The question is: Does it care WHICH of the two hot's is actually hot and which is ground?

In a real pinch your 277v charging discovery with the UMC is awesome. I am still not sure I would do it every day (unless under very controlled conditions with little fire risk), but it is really cool!

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
What I am wondering is if the UMC cares which pin has voltage potential to ground vs. which one does not?
If you look at some of the threads here about building a TT-30 adapter (30A@120V), you'll find that the Gen 1 UMC definitely cares which is hot and which is neutral. You'll get a red light and no charge if reversed.

Home made charging adapters

I have been involved in a number of threads on the forums regarding 277v support via the Wall Connector / HPWC. There seems to be a lack of clarity in what is and is not supported and whether it will require a trip to the service center to "reset" your car if the voltage is too high.

Because of this, I reached out to Tesla for some official answers and they were *very* helpful. I am making the assumption that this is not proprietary here and so I am going to post the information here for the benefit of others. My questions are in black, and Tesla's responses are in Red.

Note that *officially* I think the recommendation is to install them using 240v or 208v, but they were kind enough to give me the skinny on what the cars actually support.
  1. Does the Model 3 support charging at 277v? Yes, Model 3 is capable of accepting a 277 volt AC power supply.
  2. What is the maximum charging voltage on the Model 3 (i.e. a 277v feed may fluctuate above that at times due to grid conditions) We allow for a +/- 10% threshold, so up to ~300v should be okay for Model 3.
  3. What happens if the max voltage limit is hit? Does charging just stop, or can damage occur or does a service center have to "reset" something to allow the car to charge again? Charging will stop if the vehicle doesn’t like the power supply.
  4. Why did Tesla remove 277v from the instruction manual on the Wall Connector? There are places I would like to encourage destination chargers to be installed and in many cases it would be cheapest to just wire directly to 277v rather than require a stepdown transformer. The on-board charger of Model S and Model X are a bit more sensitive to 277v power supplies and can be more prone to rejecting the power supply when there are excessive utility fluctuations. It doesn’t hurt the electronics of the vehicle, but it can lead to unreliable charging experiences. As a result, we’ve largely backed off from 277 volt installations.
  5. What are the voltage limits on the S and X (of the various different versions of charger that have been sold over time)? Do either of them have more constraining limits or need to be taken in for service in an over-volt situation? Model S and Model X can accept a power supply that’s at a true 277v, but a relatively small increase in voltage can result in the vehicle not charging.

Question: I know back in the Model S units there were the 40a units (or double that with two) and now they are 48/72a units.

Do both versions exhibit that sensitivity to 277v or is it more prone on one version or another of the onboard chargers?

Older Model S with the 40A/80A capable on-board chargers are a bit more forgiving with a 277 volt power supply. These vehicles can be most easily identified by the black nose cone, oftentimes referred to as the ‘classic’ or ‘original’ Model S. Refresh Model S (no nose cone) and all Model X are built with the 48A/72A onboard charger hardware, which is a bit more sensitive. These vehicles can potentially reject the power supply if the AC voltage goes above 280 volts.

Question: At 277v will a Model 3 still charge at a full 48 amps (13.3kW), or does it hit some other limit that restricts it?

There is an amperage ceiling and power ceiling to the onboard charger. Model 3 max power input is about 11.5 kW, which matches up nicely with a standard residential power supply (240 volts * 48 amps = 11.5 kW). When the AC voltage is higher the vehicle will draw less current to stay within the max power rating of the onboard charger. I would expect a Model 3 Long Range vehicle to cap out at around 41 or 42 amps when connected to a 277v AC power source (277 volts * 41 amps = 11.3 kW).

The ability for Model 3 to accept 277 volt power supplies was enabled via a firmware update that was pushed a few months ago. Looks like some of the issues in the forums are from May, as long as the Model 3 is on recent firmware it should be able to accept the 277 volt power supply.

So some great information here. This explains various discussion we have seen in the forums (about it working or not working) and also explains why Tesla backed away from 277v support in the HPWC. Original series Model S units could handle it without issue, but then the post-refresh Model S it is right on the borderline (as well as the X), perhaps resulting in poor user experience sometimes depending on grid voltage. Then the Model 3 had it disabled in firmware, but then they pushed an update so that now it works (and sounds like it should be reliable up through like 300v.

It is also interesting that there is a cap on total kW that the onboard charger can handle, so wiring things up at 277v may not buy you anything speed wise of charging.

Right now I’m charging on Tesla gen 2 charger at 277 volts. VOltage here never reached 277 and was around 3-5 volts lower. Amperage never went to 48, but does stay somewhat stable at 46. See picture.

By “Gen 2 charger” you mean a Tesla Wall Connector (the replacement for what was the HPWC)?

You are not talking about the UMC Gen 2 since that only does 32 amps.

If so, this data is really interesting! So clearly it is hitting some limit other than amperage when charging at the higher voltages.

Thanks for sharing!!!

By “Gen 2 charger” you mean a Tesla Wall Connector (the replacement for what was the HPWC)?

You are not talking about the UMC Gen 2 since that only does 32 amps.

If so, this data is really interesting! So clearly it is hitting some limit other than amperage when charging at the higher voltages.

Thanks for sharing!!!
That is normal I think. I suspect the limit is probably 12.5kW.

Reactions: eprosenx