Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Screen: Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good amount of YouTube content is HTML 5 now so as long as the browser within the Model S is HTML 5 compliant it will be able to natively handle video that is coded appropriately.

Seeing what Flash does to my laptops I would worry that it would reduce my range in the S :tongue:

According to the guys at the Oak Brook store, video will NOT work on the browser - something about this being unlawful.....

....Based on what I've seen in the Roadster -- I wouldn't get your hopes up.

example: Tesla won't let you look at the tire pressure figures unless the parking brake is engaged.

Yes they do. A Ranger told me how: Call up the "Tires" screen on the VDS, engage "D" and release the handbrake - Presto, you're driving with the tire pressures showing on screen. (Can be easily done at traffic lights).

According to the guys at the Oak Brook store, video will NOT work on the browser - something about this being unlawful.....

I don't believe it would be unlawful if the car is in park. That should be an easy check to implement, and it would suck to be sitting in front of a big Tegra3-powered screen with a studio speaker sound system and not have the ability to watch a movie!

I don't believe it would be unlawful if the car is in park. That should be an easy check to implement, and it would suck to be sitting in front of a big Tegra3-powered screen with a studio speaker sound system and not have the ability to watch a movie!

You know, when I think about it more, you may be right - we were talking about what you could do while the car was moving; I don't think I asked him about the screen while in park.

Returning to the dual-view monitor functionality that has been mentioned before.

That would be a nice touch for a Model S 2.0, as ever more premium and luxury cars start offering such a device as an option.
And having seen it in action makes me really appreciate the advantages.

And think what a rear dual-view monitor could do for peace on long travels if your kid sitting on the left could watch a different program/film than the kid sitting in the seat on the right. No more fighting about the choice. Bliss.

Received this just hours ago from my Tesla rep:

Todd's Question said:
Is support for video playback (when the car is in park) such as .MOV files or MP4 video files in the works? Playback from external hard drives, perhaps the internal hard drive, or via the internet?

Several lower end infotainment systems have this, and we customers are expecting such support in the Model S. If so, can you provide an estimate as far as when it will be ready? (I understand that video support cannot necessarily be enabled when the car is not in park or is moving). I'd love to watch a movie with surround sound on the touchscreen/sound studio package while my car is charging!

Tesla Representative's Response said:
We do not plan to support native video in Model S. We do plan to support HTML5, which can open the door to streaming content.

This is really disappointing to me. What about the technology, Tesla? C'mon, push the boundaries!

Watching a movie while waiting for a charge sounds like a good idea. LOTR trilogy, extended edition, I would be able to stay sane if I was stuck in the boonies with 120V ;) (but probably not fit to drive after!)

Thanks for your reports, Todd!

Received this just hours ago from my Tesla rep:

Tesla Representative's Response said:
We do not plan to support native video in Model S. We do plan to support HTML5, which can open the door to streaming content.

This is really disappointing to me. What about the technology, Tesla? C'mon, push the boundaries!

I wonder if we can put a 'webpage' onto a flash drive, and encode video in H.264 and watch via HTML5? I guess in the future looking at his response.

I too would like to be able to watch a movie while charging, taking a picnic while driving.

If we're vocal enough, maybe they'll make it happen in a future update. I assume all the hardware's there...and USB has enough bandwidth to support video. Maybe this is so low on their priority list (and they have a long list) that it's not on anyone's radar at this point.