Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellows, does the current infotainment upgrade offered by Tesla, for me it is the expensive option as I have Autopilot Computer 2.5, including upgrading the screen, too. Since it doesn't mention on the service webpage. And is this upgrade an MCU 2 or 3? Will we get MCU 3 upgrade?
Has anyone had an experience recently?

I have a March 2018 build MS and the SC advisor suggested the upgrade. I was happy to have a reason to eliminate the yellow screen rectangle.

But my “additional information” didn’t change. Was already Intel Atom and FSD. Paid $1500.

Besides the new screen, what benefit did I get? (The driver display is flickering and there’s a new drumming sound at wake-up so the upgrade isn’t yet done)

Hi fellows, does the current infotainment upgrade offered by Tesla, for me it is the expensive option as I have Autopilot Computer 2.5, including upgrading the screen, too. Since it doesn't mention on the service webpage. And is this upgrade an MCU 2 or 3? Will we get MCU 3 upgrade?
The entire "infotainment upgrade" concept is outrageous. I spent a lot of money to get the full FSD capabilities and now I am being told that this upgrade will make that hardware work better. When I complained to a Tesla service manager, he wold me, "its like when you have to replace your iPhone every few years with a new model when the software gets old". Um, yeah, except this is a $100K plus car. One of the Tesla selling points was that you can get software updates regularly to improve the functionality of the hardware. Now they are saying, you need better hardware.

The entire "infotainment upgrade" concept is outrageous. I spent a lot of money to get the full FSD capabilities and now I am being told that this upgrade will make that hardware work better. When I complained to a Tesla service manager, he wold me, "its like when you have to replace your iPhone every few years with a new model when the software gets old". Um, yeah, except this is a $100K plus car. One of the Tesla selling points was that you can get software updates regularly to improve the functionality of the hardware. Now they are saying, you need better hardware.
Even Apple stops supporting old phone models after a while. MCU 1 hardware is over 10 years old.

It is fantastic fix for an antique like mine. Both my screens were leaking, SW was horrible. For $1600 it was deal. I didn't pay $500 for radio. Just not worth 500. That's the rip off part of the deal. Draper told me the new computer was latest with new SW. I see that. Some options don't work because of my 2012 hardware. But the screens are so sharp compared to my 2012 screens. Amazing new color.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It is fantastic fix for an antique like mine. Both my screens were leaking, SW was horrible. For $1600 it was deal. I didn't pay $500 for radio. Just not worth 500. That's the rip off part of the deal. Draper told me the new computer was latest with new SW. I see that. Some options don't work because of my 2012 hardware. But the screens are so sharp compared to my 2012 screens. Amazing new color.
What features don’t work because of your 2012 hardware? I have a 2014 and thinking about upgrading to Mcu 2 but wondering what wasn’t compatible with your year, perhaps mine will be the same. Thanks

I've considered the Upgrade for our 2015 S- But here's what I think - and some others may weigh in with more info.

1. No AM radio even if you pay for the radio
2. FM and XM add $500 to the cost- last I knew
3. No Dash cam feature like AP 2 cars (AP1 cars have mobile eye AP camera)
4. No AP2 or AP2.5 features- you'll only have the AP1 features you currently have
5. I'm not sure if the entertainment features (youtube, netflix etc) work they might though.

I've considered the Upgrade for our 2015 S- But here's what I think - and some others may weigh in with more info.

1. No AM radio even if you pay for the radio
2. FM and XM add $500 to the cost- last I knew
3. No Dash cam feature like AP 2 cars (AP1 cars have mobile eye AP camera)
4. No AP2 or AP2.5 features- you'll only have the AP1 features you currently have
5. I'm not sure if the entertainment features (youtube, netflix etc) work they might though.
YouTube Netflix TikTok disney+ Hulu will all work.

Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU To Intel MCU - during my service for which I have paid in the past (Pay type: Customer Pre-Pay) - Now my FM, AM and XM are not working. I reached out to the service team and they are asking for another $500 + Tax. Have any one faced this issue or paid for? Is it worth paying? Please advise

Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU To Intel MCU - during my service for which I have paid in the past (Pay type: Customer Pre-Pay) - Now my FM, AM and XM are not working. I reached out to the service team and they are asking for another $500 + Tax. Have any one faced this issue or paid for? Is it worth paying? Please advise
Yes, the XM/FM tuner is an additional cost. It's up to you whether having XM/FM is worth $500. For me, it was, as I enjoy both of those. Do note that the new tuner doesn't support AM.

Reactions: andyotal
...Will we get MCU 3 upgrade?...
First, there is no MCU3, it's now called MCUZ. As others noted, MCU1 and MCU2 cannot be upgraded to MCUZ. The configuration is entirely different as the CPU is not part of the display and MCUZ is liquid-cooled, whereas MCU1 and MCU2 are fan cooled.

It's sort of amazing that Tesla came up with an MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit. No other car company allows anything like it. While it seems pricy ($1700 or so including labor), competitors like Lexus, with a small 10" screen charge over $4000 for the part alone, which only does a fraction of what Tesla's MCU2 does.

I have a 2016 S, quoted an upgrade price of $2600CAD inc taxes. They asked if I wanted to upgrade the radio (which my wife uses regularly) but I'm interested in your thoughts on why it's a waste of money. I'm really most interested in "Way points" for navigation, which the MCU1 won't handle.

Waste of money for MCU2 or for the radio? MCU2 seems like a good deal to me (I bought it). MCU2 offers faster operation, many new features, brand new screens with higher resolution, etc. As for radio, I didn't bother as I use streaming or USB music. In the USA many AM and FM stations also have TuneIn stations that mirror the content. Not sure if Canada does as well, but check if so- you may not need the radio if the stations are available in TuneIn.

Hey I got the Mcu2 upgrade few months ago and didn’t get the fm/am radio on purpose. What I do is download “iHeart radio” app on your phone, and Bluetooth the local stations you listen to to the car. Problem solved works perfect and save that $500.

Reactions: andyotal
My 2013 Model S infotainment console is an MCU1. Since December, the center console has been off (in most cases) when a startup the car after it sits cold for more than a few hours. I attribute the MCU being off to the cold at least. After the car is driven for 15-30 mins, it often boots up and is fully functional.

Lately and in addition to the now regular issues with the MCU, the chargeport no longer seems to respond to the button on the travel charger and requires opening from the MCU. Sometimes the entire MCU seems to be functional, but the settings menu operation to open the charge port door fails (at least for a few mins until it finally succeeds). This tends to be a more common issue lately if the car hasn't been out for a drive longer than 20/30 mins.

I went to a service center recently, for an unrelated issue, and asked about the problems with the MCU operation. The clerk suggested the infotainment update. I'm not sure if the upgrade will fix the unresponsive charge port door, even though that was the focus of my question at the SC. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?