Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infrastructure Bill to Invest $7.5B into EV Chargers Along Highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice of Ford and GM to brainwash Biden here. Tesla already has chargers about every 100 miles all across the country, but Ford and GM need government intervention because they've never figured out how to make EVs in the first place, much less how to charge them.
The government want public charging infastructure compatible with EVs from all manufacturers, not private charging infastructure compatible with only EVs from one brand.

Nice of Ford and GM to brainwash Biden here. Tesla already has chargers about every 100 miles all across the country, but Ford and GM need government intervention because they've never figured out how to make EVs in the first place, much less how to charge them.

Ford makes a pretty good EV. It’s not about Ford and GM alone, it’s about everyone. Even Teslas could charge there, with an adapter.

More choice in charging is only going to make life easier for an EV owner.
I am not sure why this is a problem for you.

Last edited:
Is the playing field level I always ask my son. He says I hope so. It is soccer dad.

Same thing here. See much back and forth about things of the past, now the future. They got that. We didn't.

Let me know when the playing field is level. Then we can talk about they got that we didn't. Or no one should get anything.

The playing field has been tilted in one direction for what almost a hundred years. Maybe not it in bills. But it is tilted for sure.

Someone else is starting to win, but not care about the tilt. That is just pure power. Electric of course.

Reactions: BooMan
At this point, the more EV chargers the better. Just let's make sure they don't suck and are fairly reliable, please. I would really like a credible alternative to the Supercharger network, so I can have a broader choice of cars. I fear it's 10+ years away, though.
Electrify America has been removing and replacing unreliable equipment.

(Okay, the credit card readers are till terrible. Use the Electrify America app.)

I see this as a net positive, if done right.

There’s always pushback against government projects, some probably deserved looking back at some boondoggles of the past.

Still, I’d view this as having the potential to stand beside past government projects that did work out well - I doubt many here are bemoaning Eisenhower’s backing of an Interstate Highway System, for instance. And going back farther, folks in my neck of the woods are still benefiting from the TVA projects initiated in the 1930’s. What Biden is proposing can really be seen as a modernization of what Eisenhower envisioned.

Speaking of the TVA, not far from our house is a TVA hydroelectric dam and alternative energy showcase. Conveniently, they have 4 free L2 charging stations available.

51866516173_f1542351da_z.jpg

Its reasonable to be skeptical of government spending plans. But knee jerk cynicism is not always called for.

I see this as a net positive, if done right.

There’s always pushback against government projects, some probably deserved looking back at some boondoggles of the past.

Still, I’d view this as having the potential to stand beside past government projects that did work out well - I doubt many here are bemoaning Eisenhower’s backing of an Interstate Highway System, for instance. And going back farther, folks in my neck of the woods are still benefiting from the TVA projects initiated in the 1930’s. What Biden is proposing can really be seen as a modernization of what Eisenhower envisioned.

Speaking of the TVA, not far from our house is a TVA hydroelectric dam and alternative energy showcase. Conveniently, they have 4 free L2 charging stations available.

51866516173_f1542351da_z.jpg

Its reasonable to be skeptical of government spending plans. But knee jerk cynicism is not always called for.
This doesn't compare to the interstate highway system because nobody was going to build that. Someone has already built an electric charging network and is still building more. The blueprint has already been created and they're selling more cars than they can build and have been doing so for a decade so it's not going away anytime soon. They're past the whimsical dreamer phase of the organization and this is why the legacy manufacturers are finally responding.

Why is it that now that we finally have some motivation from the powers-that-be to drive the private sector to build EVs plus an infrastructure in place, NOW the .gov wants to get involved and spend our money? They will do it in a manner that is 100x less efficient than had private companies done it in the first place and it will not increase the adoption rate but will instead likely stifle it.

Look at the Charge America network as an example. This will be most people's experience with traveling in an EV and we all know how crappy that is. You want to tell me that we're going to apply the business model that helped create the department of motor vehicles and how efficiently and effectively it's run and expect great things? Right.

The bottom line is that we have to give credit to Tesla where credit is due. They alone pushed this segment. A decade ago they were laughed at. Now, the big boys are the ones responding. They have to. It's a far better mouse trap and whomever doesn't react will soon be ancient history. This change is already happening and it's going to happen fast. $7.5bil from the .gov is just another excuse to increase the size of .gov and pander to midterm voters. It will have the added bonus of making those who hate EVs hate them even more and give them something to point at.

I can hear it already (because I live in the Midwest and hear it ALL of the time) "EVs are a joke and wouldn't be in existence if tax payers weren't footing the bill to keep them afloat." This handout from the government isn't helping to level the playing field, it's allowing the government to control the EV experience for the masses which could have dangerous implications given how deeply entrenched with the gas/oil lobby our government has been for generations.

I agree with Elon, we can't afford this. We SHOULDN'T afford this and I agree with all of the anti-EV people in saying this support by the tax payer has got to stop. By saying this, I'm not saying it needs to continue for oil/gas either so don't fabricate a strawman by putting words into my mouth.

This doesn't compare to the interstate highway system because nobody was going to build that. Someone has already built an electric charging network and is still building more. The blueprint has already been created and they're selling more cars than they can build and have been doing so for a decade so it's not going away anytime soon. They're past the whimsical dreamer phase of the organization and this is why the legacy manufacturers are finally responding.

Why is it that now that we finally have some motivation from the powers-that-be to drive the private sector to build EVs plus an infrastructure in place, NOW the .gov wants to get involved and spend our money? They will do it in a manner that is 100x less efficient than had private companies done it in the first place and it will not increase the adoption rate but will instead likely stifle it.

Look at the Charge America network as an example. This will be most people's experience with traveling in an EV and we all know how crappy that is. You want to tell me that we're going to apply the business model that helped create the department of motor vehicles and how efficiently and effectively it's run and expect great things? Right.
The government is not going to be build EV charging networks/charging stations.

The government will be awarding grants to private companies to build EV charging stations. These private companies will be responsible for part of the cost of building EV charging stations.

Also, there is no EV charging network named "Charge America"; at least not in the United States.

Last edited: