Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial impressions Model 3 Performance bs 85D model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a pretty heavy claim to be dishing out without any evidence. Where are you getting this information?

This is atleast partially supported by the fact that reviewers blessed by Tesla had access to Track Mode? It's possible there's some secret passcode to unlock it but I think it's much more likely that Tesla has a special developer branch of the firmware with the feature enabled. With all the Tesla hackers out there word would get out about a passcode to unlock features on public firmware.

This is atleast partially supported by the fact that reviewers blessed by Tesla had access to Track Mode? It's possible there's some secret passcode to unlock it but I think it's much more likely that Tesla has a special developer branch of the firmware with the feature enabled. With all the Tesla hackers out there word would get out about a passcode to unlock features on public firmware.

It certainly isn't inconceivable that Tesla would have "more in store" for the Performance models. Heck, look at all the items that changed (or were "finished") after the RWD LR was released: wiper controls, rear heated seats, suspension, seats, AP controls on steering wheel, etc. It is actually pretty easy to believe they pushed the car out there as quick as possible to start generating bigger revenue figuring thye would "finish it up" in the coming weeks/months.

Quick question regarding the track mode comment. Does Tesla not have a full track apps feature like a lot of sports cars do now? Seems like it would be easy for them to add 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mi timers, g-force, etc.

Quick question regarding the track mode comment. Does Tesla not have a full track apps feature like a lot of sports cars do now? Seems like it would be easy for them to add 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mi timers, g-force, etc.

No they don’t. Not many cars do, but the Nissan GT-R is the main one that comes to mind that does. Yes, it would be easy to add. I’m fine with big brother not recording all of that also though

I took delivery of my P3D today. We have a MS85D.
There is lot of discussion about the price of P if it is worth it.
IMO this is the best dollars I have spent in a car. P3D is way better. I didn’t realize 4.3s vs 3.5s makes such a big difference. Very early for me but flooring the pedal on P3D is entirely in different league compared to MS85D. I have never driven MSP cars but compared to MS 85D - I am glad I added the P to my Model 3.

P3D made my tuned M-sport 435i feel like a Honda Civic. I'm not FBO though.
Well, color me impressed! I'm in agreement with you Adam3. After driving it today, there really is no comparison to my tuned M-Sport 335i running e85. The pull is so linear, and smooth. No drama. Just point and shoot!

Great handling out of the box as well. I was impressed with the sharp, but flat turn in. You can't beat a low CG with a stick! Definitely more nimble than a MS. My g/f even said it was easier to drive than the MS.

I guess the only decision to make is yay, or nay on the Performance Upgrade .... hmmm... that is the question...

Well, color me impressed! I'm in agreement with you Adam3. After driving it today, there really is no comparison to my tuned M-Sport 335i running e85. The pull is so linear, and smooth. No drama. Just point and shoot!

Great handling out of the box as well. I was impressed with the sharp, but flat turn in. You can't beat a low CG with a stick! Definitely more nimble than a MS. My g/f even said it was easier to drive than the MS.

I guess the only decision to make is yay, or nay on the Performance Upgrade .... hmmm... that is the question...

lol nice. Did you read my post before or only after your test drive?

I am also struggling with the Performance Upgrade Package question.

lol nice. Did you read my post before or only after your test drive?

I am also struggling with the Performance Upgrade Package question.
Ha! I read it after! It was nice to see that there is someone else with a similar setup. I love the BMW, but I think I am going to have to put it out to pasture, or sell it to my g/f.

Still thinking about the test drive. I love the "hold" feature. Kinda like a "trans-brake" for a dragster. Which let's face it, that's what this thing is. It costs a lot, but you get a lot.

Just replaced my RWD 3 with performance AWD 3 with aero-wheels. Had to bring it back to service next day to have some minor issues fixed (thank you Tesla, Minneapolis, excellent work in the middle of an extremely busy week-end), they gave me a model S 85D as loaner. So back-to-back driving RWD 3, AWD P3, S85D and back to AWD P3. I also owned the P85D last year. So here is what I think:

1. Performance of my P3 and non-ludicrous P85D are similar ball park. Nothing that I will ever use other than couple times to show off to friends. 85D was much better than I expected in terms of acceleration, but obviously slower. The RWD 3 was the slowest, yet it is significantly faster than my Merc 400E coupe.
2. The zen interior grows on you - I actually enjoy the 3 interior better than model S (except the steering wheel). None compare to the plush, high quality materials in the Merc, but I can live with that.
3. Model S is clearly a more comfortable ride. More silent, softer air suspension. Up to you if worth the money
4. Love the great visibility in the 3.
5. Why in the world did they not offer a self-closing trunk in the 3?
6. I maintain that there would be a lot of interested people in purchasing additional comfort features (more sounds insulation, nicer materials, nicer interior lighting, on-screen display) for additional 5-10k. Hope that Tesla will offer those once they sort out their ramp-up.

Can't wait for daylight to do some more driving :).

I took delivery of my P3D today. We have a MS85D.
There is lot of discussion about the price of P if it is worth it.
IMO this is the best dollars I have spent in a car. P3D is way better. I didn’t realize 4.3s vs 3.5s makes such a big difference. Very early for me but flooring the pedal on P3D is entirely in different league compared to MS85D. I have never driven MSP cars but compared to MS 85D - I am glad I added the P to my Model 3.

I agree. I'm not sure why the author doesn't have the same feeling especially since he has the Dual Motor underlined in the About screen. I just traded in a 2016 S85D, and the P3D feels so much faster when mashing the Go pedal. I got lucky pulling out from the delivery center in that I was first in line at the light. I started easy for a 1/4 sec and after I realized the car was just going to stay in the lane like it was on rails, I mashed down the pedal. The P3D took off like a bat out of hell. It took me 2-3 miles to wipe the grin off my face.

Just replaced my RWD 3 with performance AWD 3 with aero-wheels. Had to bring it back to service next day to have some minor issues fixed (thank you Tesla, Minneapolis, excellent work in the middle of an extremely busy week-end), they gave me a model S 85D as loaner. So back-to-back driving RWD 3, AWD P3, S85D and back to AWD P3. I also owned the P85D last year. So here is what I think:

1. Performance of my P3 and non-ludicrous P85D are similar ball park. Nothing that I will ever use other than couple times to show off to friends. 85D was much better than I expected in terms of acceleration, but obviously slower. The RWD 3 was the slowest, yet it is significantly faster than my Merc 400E coupe.
2. The zen interior grows on you - I actually enjoy the 3 interior better than model S (except the steering wheel). None compare to the plush, high quality materials in the Merc, but I can live with that.
3. Model S is clearly a more comfortable ride. More silent, softer air suspension. Up to you if worth the money
4. Love the great visibility in the 3.
5. Why in the world did they not offer a self-closing trunk in the 3?
6. I maintain that there would be a lot of interested people in purchasing additional comfort features (more sounds insulation, nicer materials, nicer interior lighting, on-screen display) for additional 5-10k. Hope that Tesla will offer those once they sort out their ramp-up.

Can't wait for daylight to do some more driving :).
Thanks for the FYI .:DBtw abstracocean has an led package that upgrades all the model 3 lights to 16x brighter. Ultra-Bright LED Lights - Model 3

Reactions: svp6