Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial yoke impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - new to forum - this is my first post

I have had new Model S LR for about a month now. Overall I love the car. I am getting used to the yoke and overall I don't have a major problem and am getting used to getting out of garage, tight spaces, etc. by doing a sort of strange hand over hand to crank the yoke right or left.

I agree with previous comments that the only area that I think is critically weak are the turn signals - especially the lack of a 3 flash option for lane changes. It is simply a pain to have to lightly hold the indicator making sure I don't press it too hard as I am changing lanes and then release when done. Surely it would be simple to modify behavior to 1) light press then release = 3 flashes and 2) long press then release = fully turn on signal.

On the tactile front I do find the raised bar between the right and left turn buttons to be useful. I find myself resting my left thumb on it and can more easily move up/down and activate as necessary avoiding me having to look down to find the buttons.

Hopefully Tesla will address the 3 flash lane change as it is so painfully obvious to me that it is a basic requirement.

Hi everyone - new to forum - this is my first post

I have had new Model S LR for about a month now. Overall I love the car. I am getting used to the yoke and overall I don't have a major problem and am getting used to getting out of garage, tight spaces, etc. by doing a sort of strange hand over hand to crank the yoke right or left.

I agree with previous comments that the only area that I think is critically weak are the turn signals - especially the lack of a 3 flash option for lane changes. It is simply a pain to have to lightly hold the indicator making sure I don't press it too hard as I am changing lanes and then release when done. Surely it would be simple to modify behavior to 1) light press then release = 3 flashes and 2) long press then release = fully turn on signal.

On the tactile front I do find the raised bar between the right and left turn buttons to be useful. I find myself resting my left thumb on it and can more easily move up/down and activate as necessary avoiding me having to look down to find the buttons.

Hopefully Tesla will address the 3 flash lane change as it is so painfully obvious to me that it is a basic requirement.
It would be a ridiculously simple thing to add as an option. For those that prefer the single flash, or for those that prefer the triple flash. As it is it’s not good enough.

It would be a ridiculously simple thing to add as an option. For those that prefer the single flash, or for those that prefer the triple flash. As it is it’s not good enough.
Well it seems the latest update has addressed the problem (to some level). Now, the car determines what maneuver you are doing that requires turn signal to be activated (lane changes, exiting hwy, etc.). I have tested it in a variety of scenarios. For the most part it works very well. There are some cases where it does not act as I would should I be doing it manually. The typical one is exiting a hwy where the exit ramp is poorly marked so car leaves signal on (but this is a very minor issue as leaving the signal on for longer is not really an issue). Overall though it is a drastic improvement and I am very happy with it.

Well it seems the latest update has addressed the problem (to some level). Now, the car determines what maneuver you are doing that requires turn signal to be activated (lane changes, exiting hwy, etc.). I have tested it in a variety of scenarios. For the most part it works very well. There are some cases where it does not act as I would should I be doing it manually. The typical one is exiting a hwy where the exit ramp is poorly marked so car leaves signal on (but this is a very minor issue as leaving the signal on for longer is not really an issue). Overall though it is a drastic improvement and I am very happy with it.
Yep it’s great to see this update filtering out. It should make a massive difference to usability (especially by just removing the light press altogether).

Reactions: SO16
So how does it actually work now? To change lanes, press and after you shift it automatically turns off? What about turning at intersection where you would typically leave it on until completion? And what does no light press mean? Thank you.

From my experience, this is how it seems to work:

1) Changing lanes/exiting hwy - press the desired direction with a light press. Turn signal comes on and turns off on its own when you have completed the lane change. Duration depends on how long you take to make the change. No second button press is needed. This is analogous to the 3-flash system most newer cars have other than sometimes it is 4 flashes or 5, etc. depending on how long you take to complete the lane change.
2) Turning in intersection - press with a harder press. Turn signal stays on until you have completed the turn and then turns off automatically as the car straightens out from the turn (just like a traditional stalk based car does when you press down or up all the way)

I have not yet tried to see what happens if I do a harder press while changing lanes. I will check that out and let you know. I would assume that it just keeps the signal on until you press it again.

I have not experienced the car turning on then off the turn signals for a lane change automatically (i.e. with no press at all) probably because I have always been hitting the button first. I will also check this out. This may require FSD which I do not have yet.

From my experience, this is how it seems to work:

1) Changing lanes/exiting hwy - press the desired direction with a light press. Turn signal comes on and turns off on its own when you have completed the lane change. Duration depends on how long you take to make the change. No second button press is needed. This is analogous to the 3-flash system most newer cars have other than sometimes it is 4 flashes or 5, etc. depending on how long you take to complete the lane change.
2) Turning in intersection - press with a harder press. Turn signal stays on until you have completed the turn and then turns off automatically as the car straightens out from the turn (just like a traditional stalk based car does when you press down or up all the way)

I have not yet tried to see what happens if I do a harder press while changing lanes. I will check that out and let you know. I would assume that it just keeps the signal on until you press it again.

I have not experienced the car turning on then off the turn signals for a lane change automatically (i.e. with no press at all) probably because I have always been hitting the button first. I will also check this out. This may require FSD which I do not have yet.
I’m confused. I thought there was no light press now. Just firm press.

I actually made a video when I received my Plaid S back in June/July. Back then I was getting used to the yoke but not the turn signals. I sold it because of its huge markup and I wanted a diff configuration. Ended up ordering a Plaid X because of the price hike in the S.

Now I am having doubts on the X as people seem to be hating the turn signals still.

Here is the video where I talked about how just a light touch was turning on the signals and how I liked everything but the turn signal.

I might just hold out on the X now as I'm hearing a lot of hate for the turn signals and really 0 love for it.

My apologies - WilliamG is correct. I played around with the turn signals again. There is definitely only a single press now. No light press or hard press of the turn signals. I have tried a variety of scenarios to confirm this. Basically you now just press left or right turn signal button for whatever maneuver you are doing. If you are changing lanes or exiting hwy, car reacts and switches off turn signal accordingly. If I press turn signal for lane change but stay in lane for a few seconds signal remains on and only turns off when I complete the lane change. When I am turning in an intersection, signal remains on until I complete the turn and then turns off automatically.

Definitely way better than the previous setup. I am very happy with this improvement and would say that Tesla has corrected what was a very weak point on the turn signals. The car is smart enough to know what you are doing and takes care of turning off the turn signal so the driver never has to turn the signal off again in normal course of driving. Of course, you can always turn the signal off again manually (by pressing again) if you need/want to.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie and Dan D.
Definitely way better than the previous setup. I am very happy with this improvement and would say that Tesla has corrected what was a very weak point on the turn signals. The car is smart enough to know what you are doing and takes care of turning off the turn signal so the driver never has to turn the signal off again in normal course of driving. Of course, you can always turn the signal off again manually (by pressing again) if you need/want to.
That's good news. The turn signals are what gets most of the comments or is the concerns about the Yoke. Will we ever know why Tesla has moved away from the turn stock?

Reactions: Wol747
I think stalks don't work when half the wheel is missing (imagine wanting to use the turn signal stalk when the yoke it already turned 90 degrees to the left.

Yea, that just seems like another Elon decision to cut cost - probably hard to safely add reliable touch sensors over the airbag.

The yoke IMO is definitely a bad UX decision, but from a marketing point of view, brilliant! Their bread and butter cars (3/Y) keep on selling, while S/X which Elon claims are only made for sentimental reasons since they don't contribute at all to the bottom line, those cars generate tons of free advertising. All press is good press, whether people love it or hate it, they are talking about it. Genius I tell you.
Actually, S/X make a ton of profit per car.

I think stalks don't work when half the wheel is missing (imagine wanting to use the turn signal stalk when the yoke it already turned 90 degrees to the left.

Yea, that just seems like another Elon decision to cut cost - probably hard to safely add reliable touch sensors over the airbag.

The yoke IMO is definitely a bad UX decision, but from a marketing point of view, brilliant! Their bread and butter cars (3/Y) keep on selling, while S/X which Elon claims are only made for sentimental reasons since they don't contribute at all to the bottom line, those cars generate tons of free advertising. All press is good press, whether people love it or hate it, they are talking about it. Genius I tell you.
If I look into my crystal ball, I would say that they have wheel+stalks solution ready. Just waiting for the regulator to say that the yoke is dangerous in its current form. That way they will bring the wheel back, blame the regulator (“See - we wanted progress but this is the government getting in the way”), and reap the benefits of massive free advertising. It is brilliant!
On the other hand, yoke makes sense if the car has high level, functioning FSD and the human drives from time to time for entertainment purpose. If that is the case, all those safety concerns are mute. From that perspective, the current refresh is just a transitional model and they are “testing the ground”.
Personally, I would prefer if they had put the yoke efforts and $$$ into solving real design problems - like the CV joints issue.

Actually, S/X make a ton of profit per car.
Nothing against profit - the more, the better - they need it. However, it is hypocrisy to claim that Tesla makes S/X for “sentimental value”. It is also a very bad business decision (if it is true) at this stage of the company. Elon is much more smart than that.

On the other hand, yoke makes sense if the car has high level, functioning FSD and the human drives from time to time for entertainment purpose. If that is the case, all those safety concerns are mute. From that perspective, the current refresh is just a transitional model and they are “testing the ground”.
Actually I think it makes LESS sense with FSD.
If the autopilot needs to be taken out during some emergency manouever you need to know where the yoke is at the time - and it might be rapidly turning. A wheel doesn't have that problem.