Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initiating phone calls from touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY for ~3 weeks now. Biggest issue I've encountered so far has to do with placing phone calls and voice to text from the touch screen while driving. At times the microphone will not initiate correctly...mostly an issue when I'm making a phone call and the person I'm calling doesn't hear anything on their end. It's an inconvenience at most, but still something I'd expect to function correctly. It only happens sporadically too. Already tried power cycling the touch screen and my phone. I have an iPhone 11 pro. Can anyone recommend a fix or a workaround?

lol - I misread the title of this thread - I thought it was "Irritating phone calls..."

So I came here to add that I hardly even answer my phone any more - and only if I recognise the number

btw, while we're at it ... If you're interested, I'd like to buy your house

Reactions: friscomelt314
Why would you use the touch screen while driving? Why not use the voice commands?

The thing I don't like is if a person has multiple phone calls (maybe this is what you're referring to) you can't easily see which number you're calling on the screen.... I wish it would say 'cell', 'work', etc., reflecting what you have in your phone.

Why would you use the touch screen while driving? Why not use the voice commands?

The thing I don't like is if a person has multiple phone calls (maybe this is what you're referring to) you can't easily see which number you're calling on the screen.... I wish it would say 'cell', 'work', etc., reflecting what you have in your phone.
Counting touch screen and voice commands as the same here...really meant using the car's interface in whatever capacity to initiate a phone call. Also mine does show home/work/cell etc., but I have noticed iPhone doesn't always default to a particular label when saving a new number. Most of my contacts though only have one number so that's a non-issue for me.

To get the phone menu to appear, I say "phone". That brings up the recent numbers list. Then I touch the number I want. I haven't been able to reliably get the phone to do something via voice other than manually dial a number: "dial # # # # # # # # # #". Hence the touch-screen method.

I also had the problem a couple of times of the phone connecting, but not routing through the car's audio system. So I pick up the phone and talk to it. This has happened 3 times so far but isn't repeatable. Rotating the left scroll wheel doesn't fix the issue. It seems to know enough to dial the phone, but not enough to route audio.

During my scheduled "Intro To Your New Tesla" video chat, I also requested a "redial" function. My 2006 Infiniti M35 can redial the phone, why can't my 2021 Tesla? The guy said that he'd pass the request along.

I'm still at the original factory 2021.35.102 software. So I don't know if any of these issues have been fixed.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

But, do all your other cars have as many functions as the Tesla scroll wheels? Just curious.

To me, the push of the scroll wheel is like the center button on the D-pad on a Ford or Lincoln. If the phone is ringing, and I push it, it answers. If I'm in a call and I press it, it hangs up on it. For Tesla, if I'm in neither of those states, it would bring up the voice control. Simple interface and one that I was surprised wasn't implemented.

Reactions: bhzmark