Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching the Video, I want to ask someone: How many individual metal stampings are necessary to construct 1 model S? Did anyone ask this at the Fremont event and Factory Tour?

Tesla had a poster showing the number of metal stampings needed to construct the model S. Fortuitously, someone snapped a photo of that poster and thou a bit blurry, the total count appears to be 83!

View attachment 6456

Tesla had a poster showing the number of metal stampings needed to construct the model S. Fortuitously, someone snapped a photo of that poster and thou a bit blurry, the total count appears to be 83!

View attachment 6456

I count 74 from the poster, but it is a little fuzzy.

It looks like 22 + 38 + 19 + 4 = 83.

22 - Schuler Press line - Outer Sheet metal
38 - 3A Press line - Body Structure
19 - 4D Press line - Smaller Body Structure
4 - 1B Press line - High strength STEEL Body Structure

The steel looks like the 'B' pillars this is sort of fuzzy.

Last edited:
Here's a slightly higher quality picture I took of same thing. Lighting isn't great so it's not a lot better.
IMG_5127.jpg

Last edited:
From today's Inside Tesla - 06.05.12 | Blog | Tesla Motors post:

-This past Friday we delivered a fully homologated, California-registered Performance Model S to one of our Board of Directors (I’m so jealous).

- On Saturday we delivered Elon his Performance Model S. It was the perfect way for Tesla to cap off a great week for Elon after a successful SpaceX journey to the International Space Station and back. Congratulations Elon.

So deliveries have started!! :biggrin:

I'm assuming the first one is Jurvetson's followed by Elon's. I was expecting these to be the first two to be delivered on 6/22 as part of the Founders' series, maybe they will be delivering a few Special Sigs that day?