Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEV reports Model X owner files Lemon Law relief in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$161,000.00 is a hard pill to swallow for anything less than perfect. Getting slapped with the door was most likely the final straw. All you need to do is not press the break with other leg out but this is instinct for most drivers. You do need to learn how to act around the X.

The $7,500 gets backed out of the refund price. So after Tesla holding deposit for years he now gets to wait for next tax season to get fully refunded.

i doubt it.

The transaction will be him selling the car back to tesla and getting paid what he paid to tesla.

The car has already been registered in his name so there is no cancelling of the order and pretending it didn't happen.

We feel very fortunate that, aside from the bottom row of the screen freezing once, our second X has been problem-free. I can totally feel where Lyons is coming from though. I just wonder if he tried to get Tesla to buy it back without going to a suit? It would appear the person who posted on Youtube a little while ago was able to get a buy back in December. Maybe Tesla was more willing to hush issues back then?

Based on my 1999 Corvette Lemon Law "buy back" from GM in 2001 he should get almost all of his money back less a very low X¢ per mile deduction for actual use. VERY reasonable for the car owner.

I had a 2001 Corvette repurchased after 17K miles and 18 months. I recieved:

1) The full purchase price + taxes.
2) Two years of registration paid.
3) $5K additional settlement.
4) Attorney fees paid.

I just wonder if he tried to get Tesla to buy it back without going to a suit?

Considering that he also owns an S and a Roadster, then bought an X, seems he is a fan.

From a linked article:
The end result of the laundry list of problems Mr. Lyons has itemized, has been that Tesla has been unable to fix the issues to Mr. Lyon’s liking

Certainly seems like he tried. Not sure why it had to get this far to resolve things.

I might be eligible for the lemon law if I could get Tesla to take it...their service centers are so backed up in the Bay Area that they keep saying they need to push me back a couple more weeks, and my list of needed repairs just keeps growing.

I imagine that is a side effect of the end of Q1 push for deliveries in CA and now the same push for end of Q2. Over here in the east Tesla was able to replace my front passenger door latch within 24 hours (could have been more like 3-4 hours if I was willing to take a Model S loaner but I came back the next morning instead).

Are your repairs preventing you from driving the vehicle? Are you wanting to get rid of Model X and move on to something else?

I was curious so I read the "Happiness Guarantee" for leases, since I briefly thought about switching to 1.49% Alliant Purchase (keep a new one in August) instead of 4% Lease money factor (definitely replace it in 3 years with another one buy instead of lease it will be more mature then). The idea was to also make some other config changes, e.g. black leather. Then I read the fine print, including "you or anyone in your household cannot acquire another Tesla for 6 months" (unless it's more expensive and I'm already maxed except for Ludi which I don't want).

So that was the end of that exercise!!

Anyway, this is what the Happiness Lease Return scenario in California would have been for me:

02/10/2012 P83 Reservation $5,000.00
03/22/2016 Factory pick-up payment $2,229.03
$2,024.49 ($1,848.85 base rent + $175.64 9.5% sales tax Fremont)
$2,024.49 month #2
$2,024.49 month #3
Total Payments $13,302.50
Excess mileage $187.50 @ $0.25/mi
Total Cost $13,490

Obviously the above is not worth it because you are also out the $7,229.03 -- unless one is *really* unhappy!! I knew based on the S that even a P83 reservation might have some issues after the Sigs, but I didn't care because Factory service is only about 5 miles from my home.