Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Model-S Charger on a Public Right-of-Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Option 1: Consider using your garage as a car port - leave the door open when the car is parked in it. The S will fit in garage and driveway combined as far as I see. It's no more vulnerable than if the car was parked outdoors. You would obviously have to relocate items you store in the garage to a garden shed or something.

Option 2: Contract with one of the subscription charging companies that offer home and workplace charging. They may be experts in navigating these issues for the workplace end of the equation. If necessary argue that home is a workplace (your consulting business or whatever).

Option 3: After you get a temporary solution like Option 1 working go on a harm offensive with local officials and politicians. Drive them in the S. impress them. Show them how you charge at home. Know what %age of people can't even achieve the marginal solution you have. Point out how EVs benefit energy security, are green, reduce need for foreign wars, or whatever hits their political buttons - and show them how they are in the front line with the seemingly mundane issue of street-side charging. Ask them to be part of the solution. Do this for yourself and all the other guys. (I have been lobbying with @EVA_scotland on this issue as most of Scotland's population parks on street. The Amsterdam model is an inspiration - buy an EV, dealer informs city, city organises two EV parking bays on street near your home. Not dedicated to you, but there are two so likely always available.)

I like the idea of educating local officials. Why do you call it "The Amsterdam Model" are there articles about this online?

There's a few of Blink L2s in Mission Valley here in San Diego on the street in a right of way in front of an apartment complex.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

View attachment 5792

My personal comments (similar to others already):

Trenching isn't cheap.
Figure out how to slightly lengthen your garage so your car will fit. Might be more affordable than your think compared to trenching (assuming you're paying someone to do it).
Use porous/permeable pavers to allow parking car on the "triangle" that allows the grass to grow through. When the car isn't parked there the pavers will barely be visible.

This is great information and will be very helpful to show as other examples to the City. Thanks!

There is a builder that builds/remodels a lot in Culver City that uses a GEM to run around town. His first name is Bob and I may be able to find out his last name if you cannot locate him.

Obviously he deals with the building department on a regular basis and has an interest in electric, so he may be helpful in dealing with a department which has a tough reputation.

My solution for charging my Chevy Volt was along the lines several others have suggested. I live in a townhouse with no garage, so I have to park and charge outside. My electrician ran a line from the front of my townhouse, under the sidewalk and placed the outlet in the narrow grass strip similar to what you have. Only difference it that I park head in and the charger on the Volt is driver's side front fender. When I get my S I'll have the electrician upgrade the plug and wiring and I'll back the S into the space to charge. Based on your various posts I don't see any reason you couldn't do something similar. I didn't ask anyone's permission, including my homeowners association and I haven't had any problems. In your situation with a similar kind of setup you'd have to parallel park with the driver's side along the curb.

Here are photos of my set up. The EVSE mounts on the green post when charging but the whole assembly is quickly dismounted and put away when not charging. With the Astroturf covered plug for the post hole, the installation is stealth when not set up to charge the car. As the S does not require an EVSE, all I need to do is plug into the outlet. But as I'll be getting twin chargers, I'll design a new stand to hold the High Power Wall Connector.

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_1541.JPG

DSC_1542.JPG

DSC_1544.JPG

DSC_1545.JPG

Last edited:
Neat solution artsci, but that plug location looks like an extreme shock hazard in damp/wet conditions unless GFCI protected - and if it is, subject to very frequent GFCI faults in wet weather... Water will collect in your outlet when it rains unless it has some provision for drainage! (Never mind the extension laying in the grass.)

Not an issue. Water has collected in the outlet during downpours and in fact completely covers it. I plug the extension in and out during these conditions. No sparks, no shocks, no GFCI faults, no other issues. I don't know what the electrician actually did, but his specialty is outdoor installations of this kind. He clearly knows his stuff. For what appear to be an unnecessary extra measure of safety (but piece of mind), during adverse weather conditions I wear electrician's rubber gloves when plugging in.

Neat solution artsci, but that plug location looks like an extreme shock hazard in damp/wet conditions unless GFCI protected - and if it is, subject to very frequent GFCI faults in wet weather... Water will collect in your outlet when it rains unless it has some provision for drainage! (Never mind the extension laying in the grass.)

My electrician is coming in on Friday to upgrade my curbside install for the S. The wiring he's already put down can handle a 50 amp load but he has to upgrade the breaker. He also needs to upgrade the outlet to a NEMA 14-50. I've already found a NEMA 14-50 to L6-20 adapter so once the upgrade is complete the outlet will work for both the Volt and the Tesla S.