Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing aftermarket sub/amp power questions

BrownMS

Apr 22, 2019
Bonita Springs, Fl
Looking to get a larger sub for the factory uhf system, I was curious about the draw on the 12v battery and if it would be wise to install a second 12v to run in parallel to keep the strain off the 12v converter.

Also would it be smart to just use the factory sub wiring as the input for the new amp?

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
You could use the factory sub wires as high level inputs to an amp, though I would recommend a DSP or some kind of correction device to fix the signal and counteract the roll off. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I've had close to 1200w (750w sub amp + 400w front stage amp) running on the stock single 12v battery for over a year. I did finally replace the original 12v battery early this year, but it was 5 years old.

Upvote 0

BrownMS

Apr 22, 2019
Bonita Springs, Fl
You could use the factory sub wires as high level inputs to an amp, though I would recommend a DSP or some kind of correction device to fix the signal and counteract the roll off. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I've had close to 1200w (750w sub amp + 400w front stage amp) running on the stock single 12v battery for over a year. I did finally replace the original 12v battery early this year, but it was 5 years old.

good to hear, I have a 1800w although the gain wont be very high

Upvote 0

beatle

Aug 31, 2019
Springfield, VA
That all said, there is at least one thread of a person whose warranty of the DC/DC converter was voided due to his aftermarket stereo. That didn't dissuade me from going forward with the install anyway, but it's something to keep in mind. If you're out of warranty then no worries.

Upvote 0

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC