Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Amazon Echo Auto in Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes guys do not hesitate - product works very nicely. I have it under the armrest - I would suggest buying a slim 12v cigarette lighter power adapter do u can plug the usb cable into the power at the armrest - the slim connector allows you to put the tray back -- just have the echo laying right in that tray - plugged into the cig lighter. Golden - hears me every time - excellent accuracy. Simply use your phone for media - select phone else you will not hear Alexa. I say 'Alexa - tune to channel two on Sirius xm' and im listening to hits 1... etc... I also have today and Apple Music. Alexa - play playlist 2020 hits in Apple Music - or - Alexa - play pop on tidal - or other Alexa commands such as weather sports etc. I like it and I use it daily. Wait for the $20 price - I bought 3 and putting in my other cars....

Reactions: HeyEph
I also have one and love it for selecting Sirius stations. I also installed the TuneIn Alexa Skill so that I can select my TuneIn stations via this device (and not have to switch back to Streaming from Phone on the console). Lastly, I integrated it with my Tailwind garage door opener so that I can use a voice command to close my door. Much better than relying on the Google integration on my phone.

I have it under the armrest - I would suggest buying a slim 12v cigarette lighter power adapter do u can plug the usb cable into the power at the armrest - the slim connector allows you to put the tray back -- just have the echo laying right in that tray - plugged into the cig lighter.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Why do you need a slim adaptor? Can you please post a pic of your setup?

In Canada it is back to $24.99 (from regular $69.99!)

Want to make sure I understand the connection. My M3 has the "old" style 2 USB-A ports in the centre console. Both are full because I have a Taptes wireless charging pad, and then a USB for my sentry and a USB for music (which I do not use that often). How would I connect the Echo Auto? Do I need another adapter or a hub?

In Canada it is back to $24.99 (from regular $69.99!)

Want to make sure I understand the connection. My M3 has the "old" style 2 USB-A ports in the centre console. Both are full because I have a Taptes wireless charging pad, and then a USB for my sentry and a USB for music (which I do not use that often). How would I connect the Echo Auto? Do I need another adapter or a hub?
According the AMZN description of What's In The Box you will receive: Echo Auto, In-Car Power Adapter, Micro-USB cable (1m), 3.5mm auxiliary cable (1m), and Quick Start Guide. The In-Car Power Adapter can be plugged into the Tesla's 12V accessory port, has 2 USB power ports. The Micro-USB cable (1m) can plug into any USB power port or into the In-Car Power Adapter. supplies power to the Echo Auto. You only need to use the 3.5mm auxiliary cable if your vehicle does not support BT streaming.

Thanks is been eying this for a long time. Thought it would work well for me but kept hearing they didn’t work well but not specificity Tesla owners. I’ve got a very strong Amazon ecosystem going and have their UHD music package. Picking it up for $20 is a no brainer.

My Echo Auto arrived this afternoon. Thanks Amazon Prime! A few things I have learned:

I set up the Echo Auto from inside my warm and dry home rather than having to enter my garage and my MY. This worked but I soon realized I could not hear the Alexa prompts since the Alexa app audio was set to BT and I was not sitting in the Model Y. When you add the Echo Auto the device is found under the device category labeled Amazon Echo. There is another device category labeled Auto Accessory that displays a graphic of a vehicle; do not use that one as your Echo Auto will not appear on the list of devices.

I plugged the Micro-USB cable that comes with the Echo Auto into the provided In-Car Power Adapter (12V adapter.) Once inside my MY I installed the Power Adapter in the 12V Accessory port located inside the arm rest console, underneath the small removable tray. I tried tucking the power cable and the Echo Auto inside the console, underneath the tray. This worked but the Echo Auto did not always hear me when I issued an Alexa command. For now I have routed the Micro-USB cable out of the center console (there is a small gap on the left and right front corners of the arm rest console where the cable can pass without getting crunched by the armrest in the lowered position. The armrest has a small over hang that is just deep enough to conceal the Echo Auto; for now the Echo Auto is just sitting on the rear most part of the piano black console behind the cup holders. I may, in the future, use some velcro to hold the Echo Auto in place. The Echo Auto could hear me more reliably from this location. The box includes a mount for attaching the Echo Auto to an air vent but I don't think it will work in the Model Y.

On my iPhone SE2, when the Echo Auto is powered on and detects the iPhone the Alexa app goes into Auto Mode. Auto Mode is a streamlined mode for the Alexa app, only specific functions are available. For example, you can't add a skill while in Auto Mode. You can play audio, get directions, make a call, send a message, check your calendar, check your email. You can also add things to your Shopping List and To Do List and have Alexa read you what is on these lists.

You can also set a Reminder using the Echo Auto. I was able to set two reminders, Alexa prompted me through the steps. The first reminder I set was to "Put out the recycling." Alexa asked when I wanted to be reminded to do this and I replied "Thursday", then Alexa asked me what time on Thursday and I replied "5:00 PM.) Alexa completed the creation of this reminder. I manually set this reminder to Repeat weekly.

The second reminder is more interesting. I told Alexa to create a reminder to "Check the back seat." Alexa then asked me when to remind me to "Check the back seat", I said "when I arrive at Home." Alexa then asked me to confirm my Home Address. Alexa understood that I want this reminder to be activated whenever the Alexa app detects, via GPS, that my MY has arrived at my home address. Alexa then stated I would need to manually complete adding this reminder in the Alexa app. Alexa did create and add this reminder. I was able to edit the Reminder to repeat "every time you arrive." I don't regularly have back seat passengers, I just wanted to see whether this was possible with the Alexa app, GPS and the Echo Auto.

When you select your phone as the audio source you can listen to your Amazon Music Library. You can customize your Music Library to be your Apple Music Library however in each case the Alexa app will stream audio over either WiFi or if enabled over your phones LTE data plan. The Alexa app does not appear to be able, by itself, to play music that you previously downloaded to your phone. This could quickly run up your data plan charges so be sure when streaming audio you understand your phone's streaming settings and data plan.

I was able to open Audible using the Alexa app, Alexa was aware of my recent Audible selections, I was able to resume playing this Audible content.

When I opened iTunes directly from my iPhone screen I was able to play a playlist, once started the Alexa App was able to pause, play, and skip songs within my playlist.

I tested one last Alex command during my brief time with the Echo Auto; I stated "Alexa, turn on the house." My interior lights immediately came on, as if I had issued this command to one of the Echo units inside my home. Success!

Last edited:
I just use Google Assistant on my phone, works great, I assume it works similar to the Alexa device.. I just put my phone on the wireless charger and whenever I need something I just say the Google keyword and the phone does it all, music, calls, etc... What does Alexa Auto buy you, just curious what else it could do? I have had both Alexa and Google Assistants in the house, typically find Googles to be better though imo.. but always interested in hearing about tech stuff.

I have only used Amazon Alexa at home, the Alexa app on my iPhone. If you are committed to the Amazon ecosystem there is an ever expanding list of skills that you can enable on Alexa. You can re-order items from Amazon using just Alexa - "Alexa, reorder paper towels." You can track your Amazon deliveries - "Alexa, where's my stuff?" The home Echo devices flash different colors when there is an update on one of your orders. Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Prime Music can be accessed by the Amazon Fire stick (video) and with some of the newer vehicles you can access Amazon Alexa and Amazon Music directly from the Infotainment Audio system. Recently Amazon acquired Ring; I anticipate that Amazon will integrate Ring smart home security and video monitoring with Alexa. (There was a recent announcement that Ring security camera technology will be integrated with the Tesla Sentry Mode.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get what you mean. Why do you need a slim adaptor? Can you please post a pic of your setup?
The "car cigarette lighter-USB adapter" devices sold everywhere which you would typically use are a tad long and bulky if you want to still utilize the tray under the armrest. I purchased a mini (extra short) lighter adapter and a 90° USB male-female adapter plug on Amazon, and it allows the under-armrest tray to fit perfectly.

The "car cigarette lighter-USB adapter" devices sold everywhere which you would typically use are a tad long and bulky if you want to still utilize the tray under the armrest. I purchased a mini (extra short) lighter adapter and a 90° USB male-female adapter plug on Amazon, and it allows the under-armrest tray to fit perfectly.
Good to know. The In-Car Power Adapter (12V adapter) and USB cable that currently are included in the Echo Auto box appeared to just fit with the tray in place. I will inspect this again in better light.

The problem I see is that there is no way to route the cable into the tray and still close the lid properly, no?

The problem I see is that there is no way to route the cable into the tray and still close the lid properly, no?
Not into the tray, no, unless you modify the tray. There is a gap in the lip of the arm rest console so the USB cable can pass through, move freely when the armrest is lowered, latched in place. There is space just ahead of the armrest for the Echo Auto, else it can be tucked into one of the cup holders. The 6 microphones on the Echo Auto are arranged in two rows across the top of the unit.

Reactions: HeyEph
A quick update; the Reminder that I setup on the Alexa app to remind me to "Check the back seat" whenever I arrived "At home" worked perfectly. I used the Alexa App on my iPhone to Navigate to home. I had setup the Alexa App to use Apple Maps for navigation but you can also use Google Maps and Waze. The turn-by-turn directions were very precise. Alexa announced, through my MY audio system that "You have arrived at <my street address>. This followed by "Hi there! This is a reminder to check the back seat." Approximately 10 seconds later tThe reminder was repeated a second time. This Alexa Reminder was triggered by the GPS location of my iPhone. For improved safety there could be additional reminders to "Check the back seat" or "Don't forget the baby" that would trigger as you arrive at your work location, day care, school or preschool. The Alexa Reminder feature with the Alexa app is easy to set up, could save lives. The Echo Auto ensures that you will hear the reminder loud and clear via your vehicle's audio system. If you have children, grandchildren riding in your vehicle the ability to setup a geotagged Reminder feature alone is worth more than the current $20 price of the Echo Auto unit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Natal