Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing precut PPF yourself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
I need to replace the film on my front bumper and it looks like it was originally a precut piece. Doesn't look too bad, but neither does installing tint. I'm not great with cosmetic stuff like this but I kinda want to give it a go. Anybody have first hand experiences?

I am a complete idiot at this stuff and managed to wrap my trim in gloss black. Use a quality film and don't be afraid to suck at it the first time and you'll be fine I'd think

MAke sue you get whatever you're removing nice and warm though, so it doesn't take paint with it, or tear, or leave adhesive behind

The nice thing about clear bra is it's clear. If you get the bubbles out, which isn't hard, and don't fold it over, which also isn't hard, well, who's gonna know if you are bad at it

I think there are non-marring cutters for vinyl, but I just used xacto knives. Obviously not a good option for a painted surface unless you can do all your cuts at panel gaps and such

Reactions: m5james
I am a complete idiot at this stuff and managed to wrap my trim in gloss black. Use a quality film and don't be afraid to suck at it the first time and you'll be fine I'd think

MAke sue you get whatever you're removing nice and warm though, so it doesn't take paint with it, or tear, or leave adhesive behind

The nice thing about clear bra is it's clear. If you get the bubbles out, which isn't hard, and don't fold it over, which also isn't hard, well, who's gonna know if you are bad at it

I think there are non-marring cutters for vinyl, but I just used xacto knives. Obviously not a good option for a painted surface unless you can do all your cuts at panel gaps and such

Maybe I will give it a try. I was planning on buying the pre-cut so I don't need to do any cutting myself. I've done some of the headlight PPF and was able to move that around no problem. But, the barrier for entry for that was 40 bucks vs 150-250.

I need to replace the film on my front bumper and it looks like it was originally a precut piece. Doesn't look too bad, but neither does installing tint. I'm not great with cosmetic stuff like this but I kinda want to give it a go. Anybody have first hand experiences?
YouTuber "Bearded Tesla Guy" documented his DIY experience with PPF on a Model 3

If you've never done it before, watch youtube videos on install and expect to waste ruin it a dozen or more times..i.e. you'll need to spend way more on buying the precut PPF than you'd spend paying a pro to do it but it might be worth it long term if you want to cultivate the skill.

For small bubbles, you can use a small gauge insulin syringe to remove the bubbles and if it's the self healing type of PPF, you'll be hard pressed to find the extraction site after a week in the sun even under a large magnifying glass. Ask me how I know :)

• Funny
Reactions: domodan
Any updates? I saw a website months ago that sold the precut and thought about doing it myself as well. Clean the floor, TONS of soapy water, squeege and it seems pretty straight forward after that...should be way easier than sticky vinyl.