Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance and modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to my original post i did that on a comparison site which bumped it right up, i phoned churchill today and asked them about the rear tints and rear spoiler and it has actually made no difference to the quote so moral of the story is ring and check DO NOT trust the comparison sites for modifications.

I need to ring back again tomorrow as forgot to ask if painting the silver 19 inch wheels gun metal grey will affect the premium i hope not

Only a small additional price for me with both PPF and Tints - insured with Direct Line, 4 years no claims, 41 years old

Bit concerned about a couple of modifications i wanted to do to my new M3 LR I was going to tint the rear windows and rear roof and Fit a rear spoiler like the model P

By adding these two items my insurance quote has gone from £427 up to £780 Has anyone else noticed this when doing the mods they have done

Find that ridiculous for a 52 year old with 20+ years no claims

New Only a small additional price for me with both PPF and Tints - insured with Direct Line, 4 years no claims, 41 years old

Yet some people say that even just chrome delete is enough for DL to refuse to insure.

Whats going on with DL ? I used them for donkeys years, always managed to negotiate a price I was happy with. But recently, you get inconsistencies out of them and often a refusal to budge on insurance renewal.

They lost one of our policies this year as a result and very nearly lost another, although I expect that one will go next year too along with another when they reflect loss in multi policy discount - gave us a years grace this year.

Yet some people say that even just chrome delete is enough for DL to refuse to insure.
I'm with DL and have cover for PPF and Chrome Delete:

Chrome delete affecting insurance

These are listed as 'Paint Protection' and 'Decals/Stickers' on my modifications on the policy.

I used live chat to add these and saved the chat history. DL will run a mile if you suggest it's a wrap, they won't insure wrapped cars but their understanding of wrap is a full cover that changes the cars colour.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
As above, DL have noted PPF and Tints for my car. I checked with them at renewal time so they did bump up my premium but then lowered it when i told them i got lower prices elsewhere. What they did do was bump up my excess from 850 to 1000!