Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to get my car next week and I'm confused about the insurance part. On the Tesla portal and via few Text messages from Tesla, I get notified that I need a proof of insurance. When I talk with my insurance agent, he says that he needs to wait for Tesla to send him paperwork and should be done the day before the car get delivered, it is normal? As an FYI, I'm located in MA.

Thanks

Virginia is the same. AMICA covers any car you drive so you don’t actually need to have the new car on the policy in advance. They just want you to give them the details as soon as you have them. I usually call ASAP as it’s good to have the actual paper in the car in case.

But yeah may differ depending on state. I recall when I got my X first Tesla wanted actual coverage and then changed to a copy of the current policy.

I was told by my insurance that they can’t insure the car for me until it was in my position. They set up the plan and once I get am there will call they will execute the plan that’s already setup. I guess the don’t want to cover It until I can verify no damage exists. At anyraate the moment it’s executed I’ll get a pdf emailed to me to share with them.

What you will need to do, once you have a permanent VIN (not a hidden one) is to call your insurance and get a policy created and they will need to send you a copy.
It is possible to wait until day of and call your insurance then. Just make sure that you know the best number to call.