Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK]Accident rates and insurance chat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
could be. but in the end of the day, if you can charge at all same locations as all teslas (and SCs or fast DC charging in general is in reality - quite rare occasion for most drivers (heck, even I which does 20k miles, % do AC..), then question is why would you take tesla?

I mean - you would get better quality car for the same (or less) money - and if there is no Tesla advantage - then no need for tesla.. simples.

I mostly charge at home/work, no big difference which car... especially if tesla insurance is like 2k and others is 600 :/
talking of insurance, I just my quote through at £980, last year it was £450. Seems to be the same everywhere.....I'm in shock

I’d be fine with that compared to what my Land Rover has become. Not saying it’s good but all cars are going up a lot.
A quick survey of people I know (anecdata) - prices up hugely for any kind of car. Worse for Range Rovers in London, near/completely uninsurable. I'm hoping PIN-to-drive becomes better known, Tesla get recognition of lower theft rates. That just leaves the other things (uninsured drivers included).

Cannot just be theft rates. It’s part issues, part availability, EV’s needing people trained to work on them, higher accident rates from lower overall quality of driving in the country, etc. Still doubling in a year is really bad.
I would have thought theft rates is one of the saving graces for tesla insurance. Parts supply lead times and cost likely to be one of the biggest negatives, as you say.

talking of insurance, I just my quote through at £980, last year it was £450. Seems to be the same everywhere.....I'm in shock

Just got my renewal quote for the house and contents in mid January… a 60% increase in premium being asked for along with a list of excuses/reasons why. I’ll hit the comparison sites in due course, will be interesting to see if they offer no meaningful like for like solace as with the hike in the car premium.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Just got my renewal quote for the house and contents in mid January… a 60% increase in premium being asked for along with a list of excuses/reasons why. I’ll hit the comparison sites in due course, will be interesting to see if they offer no meaningful like for like solace as with the hike in the car premium.
my house and contents insurance increased by 20 gbp yoy

Reactions: Masklin
Another data point to consider. Just renewed my insurance. Best I could get on the comparison sites was £840.
Renewal came in about £70 more than last year at...

£540

Nearly bit their hand off. But if one company can do it for £300 quid cheaper what are the others trying on?

Tesla get recognition of lower theft rates. That just leaves the other things

Electrek posted accident rates, by brand, today. I presume USA data, but even so ... might be same in UK too which won't help insurance rates.

RankBrandAccidents per 1,000 drivers
1Tesla23.54
2Ram22.76
3Subaru20.90
4Mazda18.55
5Lexus18.35
6Volkswagen18.17
7BMW17.81
8Toyota17.18
9Infiniti16.77
10Honda16.50

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Electrec posted accident rates, by brand, today. I presume USA data, but even so ... might be same in UK too which won't help insurance rates.

RankBrandAccidents per 1,000 drivers
1Tesla23.54
2Ram22.76
3Subaru20.90
4Mazda18.55
5Lexus18.35
6Volkswagen18.17
7BMW17.81
8Toyota17.18
9Infiniti16.77
10Honda16.50
from what I've read on X today apparently this is highly dubious data, for instance not taking into account distance travelled.

would like to know more though, but perhaps this is not the thread for that.

for instance not taking into account distance travelled

Electrek covered that (FWIW) by saying "Why would Tesla drivers average mileage be different to other brands"

would like to know more though

I should have put a link in the original, sorry

Reactions: JupiterMan
Electrek covered that (FWIW) by saying "Why would Tesla drivers average mileage be different to other brands"

I should have put a link in the original, sorry

Electrek aka Fred trek is often anti tesla. Terrible history of distortion. Reasonable to discount electrek articles without credible confirmation from decent sources. Reuters has become the same.

Source is LendingTree which others have stated is a last resort insurer. Again, other people have pointed out a range of oddities in this data.

It could be that hard to insure people (accident prone) are trying to improve their safety by buying teslas but finding their previous driving history is holding them back.

As usual, comments are better and more useful than article. Seems like electrek have lied about it being about Tesla insurance claims. Please be careful over which sources you use and check comments.

Did anyone read the Lending Tree Data? All the information comes from analyzing "tens of millions of QuoteWizard by LendingTree insurance quotes from Nov. 14, 2022, through Nov. 14, 2023." This is not actual accident data, it is not actual insurance data, it is based on a small subset of drivers who are shopping around for insurance quotes using an obscure online website (WTH uses quote wizard?).
So Q1 are the Tesla or Subaru drivers who went to Quoe Wizard representative? Q2 is the self-reported data accurate? Are the BMW drivers really drunkards or is the sample skewed? At least report the story right. Also note the carefully worded "tens of millions of quotes" not tens of millions of drivers.

Brandon Paddock
19h ago

There's no need to speculate. The data isn't about insurance claims, it's about insurance quotes. It's the number of accidents the driver said they have in their history in their request for a quote. It's not a reflection of the safety of the vehicles or even of their drivers. This is why the cheap entry-level cars often bought for new drivers have the lowest rates. Drivers with no driving history of course have no accidents in that history.

Last edited:
It is also that the figures include not just Accidents but also incidents as it includes speeding tickets and citations for careless driving etc. That really skews the numbers, particularly as others point out that is an insurer of last resort! You can bet that the good drivers who can get a good quote elsewhere have already done so, and the Tesla insurance available in the USA will gather all the safe drivers.

• Informative
Off topic. Better to continue on appropriate thread.

£4000 wouldn't persuade me to go BYD. It might for others.

I'm on a phone but quick look at EV database (UK site), select BYD and Tesla, order by price/range and Model 3 comes out ahead of byd seal long range AWD, but RWD seal is ahead.

Many will be company cars, leases, so residuals will be important to monthly costs.

In some markets, the distributors are price gouging.

From Australian website, so AUD prices

Servicing is required every 12 months or 20,000km – BYD distributor says the first eight services are priced at $189, $370, $189, $447, $189, $370, $189, and $447 respectively.
probably cheaper service pricing than tesla?