Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance data points

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from a 2016 Civic w/o sensing to an LR AWD. Progressive premium actually went down $30 from $310 to $280/6mo. Knoxville TN.

So you made no policy changes of any car and they reduced the policy cost with a car of significantly higher cost and repair? Did you move or change anything whatsoever? Unless your Honda was an extreme theft risk in your area that makes no sense. Comprehensive is based on value all thing being equal as well as cost to repair.

So you made no policy changes of any car and they reduced the policy cost with a car of significantly higher cost and repair? Did you move or change anything whatsoever? Unless your Honda was an extreme theft risk in your area that makes no sense. Comprehensive is based on value all thing being equal as well as cost to repair.
Kept everything the same. Liability, comprehensive, and collision all went down a bit. It seems that Progressive considers autonomous features heavily in their rates.
Before getting the M3, my wife and I both had identical Civics, except one with sensing and one without. The one with sensing was $100 less to insure per 6mo.

Kept everything the same. Liability, comprehensive, and collision all went down a bit. It seems that Progressive considers autonomous features heavily in their rates.
Before getting the M3, my wife and I both had identical Civics, except one with sensing and one without. The one with sensing was $100 less to insure per 6mo.

In CA it would go up because it's about claims for comp and accidents. I would guess my insurance would be almost 1/3 there.

Reactions: Obsoletion
It will take one moderate Model 3 accident in the Knoxville area for Progressive to realize their actuarial error. Enjoy your premium while it lasts, and have a back-up plan ready.
You may be right. Progressive is amazing. I shop around every year or two, and their rate is less than half of any other company's. I had one minor accident a few years ago and paid for it out-of-pocket so as to avoid risking a premium change.

I replaced my 2010 Infiniti G37x (totaled) with the incoming M3 SR+ and was pleasantly surprised to see my monthly premium actually was reduced over $40/month. That's $500/year that is sufficient to cover all the electricity I'd use on M3 driving 12k-15k miles/year. Not too much to complain I guess.

My insurance company is Nationwide.

Coverage limits can drive pricing up substantially. Packaging with homeowners/earthquake/umbrella will generally lower costs. Having a clean driving record, being older, living in “desirable” zip codes, and how many miles per year you drive all affect rates. It’s interesting to hear what others are paying but not at all meaningful when assessing your own rates.

We pay extra to increase rental coverage from $600 per incident to $5,000. It costs an extra $90/year for each car but at least I know if we have an accident and it takes several months for Tesla to get parts I’m covered for a rental car. $600 could get used up very quickly.

this. knowing that some have virtually no or bare minimum uninsured driver property coverage (sorry.... $15k won't cut it if someone without insurance totals your car) and / or no rental car coverage and / or comically low property damage limit ($50k or so in states where a lot of vehicles are above $50k) ... very hard to compare.

what coverage limits do you have?

property ? medical ?

uninsured property ? medical ?

$280 / 6 months strucks me as meeting bare minimum state requirements but nothing beyond that...
prog m3.gif