Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance. It is that time of the year again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, in the process of getting quotes for my new X which I'm scheduled to take delivery on at the end of the month. So far the best quote I have found is CommInsure, $2221.97 per year, insured for $162k with $1,700 excess. Eastern Suburbs of Sydney with no adverse driver history.

At this stage this is probably the policy i'll go with, however; if there have been any recent revelations or better deals I'd love to hear about it. Any reasons why I shouldn't go with CommInsure also welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, in the process of getting quotes for my new X which I'm scheduled to take delivery on at the end of the month. So far the best quote I have found is CommInsure, $2221.97 per year, insured for $162k with $1,700 excess. Eastern Suburbs of Sydney with no adverse driver history.

At this stage this is probably the policy i'll go with, however; if there have been any recent revelations or better deals I'd love to hear about it. Any reasons why I shouldn't go with CommInsure also welcome. Thanks in advance!

That's quite a good quote actually.
I've been with CommInsure for a number of years. Only thing I would advise you to do is, when you get the papers in the mail check that what you agreed on the phone is what's written on the policy. I've had a couple of instances of seemingly small errors (like for example the exact model of the car) which could be a problem later on. Both were fixed pretty quickly once I called them. Still inconvenient but everything else has been good with them over the years.

@mackALTcrz and @stedes thanks for that info.
I'm due for insurance and just got a good quote from comminsure, about $1750 for S75D 2016 agreed value $97000 with excess $1700. I always go high excess, I don't care about a $1700 bill, but do care about a $97000 bill!

Heres my notes on a new Black XP, FSD, No Ludicrous, secure garaged in Canberra. I ended up with CommInsure for obvious reasons.

Budget direct:
Will not insure

QBE: Will not insure

AAMI:
$179783 - Comprehensive, excess $2100, annual $5016.89
$154775 - Comprehensive, excess $1700, annual $3560
Windscreen: $55 (included)
$86 roadside assistance

NRMA:
$180,000
Excess: $695, annual $3610.22, Excess: $2000, annual $2527.15
Windows: $55
No claim bonus protection: $40

GIO:
$180,000 excess $2100, premium $4009.52
Windscreen: $90
Lifetime new for old $180k: $4637.93
Lifetime new for old $141k: $2515.73

Comminsure:
Comprehensive Cover with agreed value of $180,000
$131.33 monthly
or $1,536 annually
Price includes any eligible discounts. See quote for more details.
Choose to pay monthly at no additional premium
Guarantee on the repairs we authorise, for as long as you own the vehicle
Choose your own repairer
Your quote summary
Date of quote 10th Sep 2019
Policy start date 29th Sep 2019
Vehicle details 2019 TESLA MODEL X PERFORMANCE MY19 4D WAGON NA 0.0 1 SP AUTOMATIC
Agreed value $180,000

First driver Male, 40 years old, owner, no incidents, 10 year(s) licensed
Second driver Female, 38 years old, owner, no incidents, 10 year(s) licensed

No cover for drivers under 30.

Excesses
Basic $700
Optional Additional Excess $1,000
High value Excess: $1800

That's a great deal Deece. I also looked at CommInsure but they came out more expensive than RACV down here in Melbourne.

For our Model X LR we got the following deal:
Agreed value: $150,000
Basic Excess: $1500
No excess windscreen replacement
In driveway overnight (which excluded a number of insurance providers)
Two named drivers, 45 yr old male, no incidents, highest no claim bonus; 35 yr old female, recent claim for damage to parked vehicle, not at fault but still cost a little on the premium
Total cost $2100

Suncorp was the next cheapest around $2600 (with two year new for old replacement) and then CommInsure around $2800.

Obviously each individuals mileage will vary but those three providers were by far the cheapest - some others were really laughable!

2015 S70D - just got renewal from YouI for $754 with $1550 excess. I am located in a small town on Sunshine Coast so that probably reduces the premium compared to living in the city and I am (mumbles) 49 with no accident history. I believe YouI will only insure the non-P cars but might be worth a look if that applies. Definitely cheaper than the other options I compared last year.

I’d be very wary with Youi- no personal experience but our 70 odd year old neighbour got really screwed by them- wrote a (repairable)Mercedes off with a really low “market value” payout.
As I say- not personal, so I don’t know the full details.
Good luck.
Been with YOUI a few years and had no trouble with minor claims (son keeps running into others in the Audi A1).
No experience with major claims.

Just followed this and got covered 2015 P90DL with comminsure. agreed value 120k, excess 1700 but they imposed additional excess of extra 400 if I make a claim, not sure why. Maybe because of my age, I've had no accidents 10+ years or claims, or loss of license etc. I was with Shannons the previous year, agreed value was 125k but this year 115k and they wanted 3500 for annual premium even though their annual premium year before was 2800 and no accidents or claims. Thanks to everyone here and went with comminsure for annual premium of 2500.

• Informative
Reactions: Vegas