Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance rate increased. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geico quoted me $9500 a year for a model 3 performance on state minimums. I’m 35 with a clean record, no claims and I live in a single family house in a good neighborhood. When I called to question the quote I was told “it’s a Tesla not a civic, these cars get wrecked a lot”. Needless to say I’m dropping them the first of the year, I believe I looked at progressive and the quote was substantially cheaper with triple the coverage. Some companies just don’t like Tesla and will try to deter you from buying the car, crazy how an insurance company can manipulate you into buying something you don’t want.

In general you can drop them any time, they'll (usually) refund you the prorated amount.

Grossie - I understand and agree with your statement ........ but still, $9500/year puts a Tesla ownership completely out of site for me.

My brother owns am "S" ... I will ask him what he pays for insurance. He's a real "tight wad" ... I bet he doesn't pay anywhere near $9.5k.

I owned a Model S for many years. Initially, it was difficult to get an insurance for Tesla. Eventually some insurance companies started offering the insurance, but the prices could be all over the map. For the same insurance you could get $300 or $1600 (for my age group/driving record) .. for 6 months. Over the years, I've seen a bit of a normalization, Geico used to be the cheaper of the lot.
Bit by bit, companies are realizing the cost of repairs and replacement of these cars, and generally the insurance trends are on the up tick.
They had to wisen up sooner or later. If a small damage to your fender costs $9000, the money has to come from somewhere.
When I sold my S, my premium had been creeping up .. started at 300ish, ended at 400ish. I wasn't happy with the increases, but I knew it could be a lot worse. My friend who I sold the car to, has a very similar record as mine, and his quote was $850ish. My quote for a new S was $800ish. I asked "How come the very same car has 2x the insurance rate" - and the geico rep told me exactly the same answer as the OP quoted.

Anyway, the two insurance companies that still offer relatively decent prices of Teslas are Progressive and USAA. But give them time, they'll wisen up too. The silver lining is, Model 3's rates won't be crazy since the cost of replacement isn't that high, especially once you factor in depreciation 2 years down the road.

Ditto here as well, also State Farm. Just dropped slightly to $843/6mos total for both vehicles here in NJ.
High limits, low deductibles ($100 comp, $500 collision). Very happy. Always have been with SF.

I just quit State Farm because their rates were over double what I got quoted with Progressive. I have a P3D+, with Progressive, - this is with both my wife and I on the policy, in Seattle.

$459 per 6 months.
fullsizeoutput_1767.jpeg

Been with Nationwide as long as I can remember.Replacing a 2012 Kia with the Tesla. North Carolina.

- Their website didn't list Tesla. Had to call my agent.
- Agent found Tesla, but couldn't find the Model 3..
- As she was typing.. "Are those the battery operated cars that blow up?" It amused me.
- Rate increase of $1,100/yr. (from 550 -> 1650 iirc).

Check Geico. $800/yr total. I haven't checked to see if moving the other cars will also save me.

So Geico raised my insurance by $600 / year. I have insured with them for about 15 years now. Their justification for the increase was:

"the price change has to do with the symbol rating for your 2018 Tesla. The symbol is what we use for setting the price for your Comprehensive and Collision coverages. We look at things like the cost of replacing the vehicle, cost to repair, likelihood it will be in an accident, and how easily it’s damaged. This new information has been factored into your overall premium."

Has anyone else's rates increased?

I'm located in San Jose, CA fwiw and am in my 40s. No accidents or tickets.
thats bull *sugar*.......my rates with USAA went down by $100......i dropped my 2007 Lexus ES350.......according to USAA, the safety rating and all electric vehicle were cause to drop rates.......i worked at Coherent in Santa Clara for 10 years and my rates never changed even though I kept my address at my main house in Irvine......they knew I commuted......i would look for another insurance company.......they are lying to you

sorry.....i need to say this also........if you are working and have company medical, you should think about dropping it from your car policy.....reason is that you primary insurance for medical is your company insurance.....the car medical insurance only kicks in after to reach the policy limits with is probably a million dollars.....i did this on my policy and i pay $365 every six months with USAA

h
Been with Nationwide as long as I can remember.Replacing a 2012 Kia with the Tesla. North Carolina.

- Their website didn't list Tesla. Had to call my agent.
- Agent found Tesla, but couldn't find the Model 3..
- As she was typing.. "Are those the battery operated cars that blow up?" It amused me.
- Rate increase of $1,100/yr. (from 550 -> 1650 iirc).

Check Geico. $800/yr total. I haven't checked to see if moving the other cars will also save me.
hahahaha.....there are some really frustrated insurance agents out there...huh

if you were in the military, check out USAA....cant be beat...been with them for 44 years

I am with USAA. I traded in a 2015 Nissan Altima for my 2019 Standard Model 3. My insurance went up $3.00! I guess because of the safety features. That's for 6 months. I am concerned about the repair costs and time to repair but it may be on par with other cars in this price range.
been with USAA over 44 yrs....you can't beat them......fair and honest and quick to handle any issues.......

Just got my bill from Allstate for the 3. Rates went up 42% to $146/month. (250/500K, $0 deductible comprehensive and $500 deductible for collision, for the performance model (if that makes a difference.)) Called them up and they said it was due to higher actual costs for repairs, than their initial estimates.

Got a quote from State Farm and they were $142 for almost the same coverage.

Both quotes with Homeowner's and personal umbrella multi policy discount.
keep looking