Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Can someone recommend a good insurance company (with good rates) for the Model 3.

I am currently with Unigard and was quoted $1,400 for 6 months of insurance. I am looking for something in the $800 range (my Acura TLX was $700 for 6 months). The TLX was $43k and the 3 is $49k. Not sure why my insurance rates doubled when the value of both cars are similar??

...Not sure why...

Aluminium!

How about calling:

California Car, Homeowners & Renters Insurance | Free Quote - Wawanesa USA - California

My 6 month coverage:

Car#1: 2012 Model S=$549.76 (primary driver's age in 40's)
Car#2: 2017 Model X=$493.51 (primary driver's age in upper 50's)

Should be cheaper if I reduce the coverage below:

12,000 miles annually for Model S.
24,000 miles annually for Model X.

Bodily Injury $250,000/500,000
Property Damage $100,000
Medical Payment $5,000
Comprehensive (-Collision) $500
Collision $500
Uninsured/Underinsured $50,000 / 100,000
Uninsured Deduct Waiver

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: K-MTG and tracksyde
Try Progressive and Wawanesa.

The former has CSL coverage (combined single limit) and gap coverage.

Wawanesa has neither, but has lower rates.

I was with Wawa until they wanted 50% more for the new Model S than for the old one. Changed to Progressive that day.

Six months later, Wawa’s rate for the new one was back down to what I was paying for the ~2.5 year-old variant.

If you want stated value coverage, check out Chubb and Allstate.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG and tracksyde
I got amazing rates with Amica on my model X.
Can someone recommend a good insurance company (with good rates) for the Model 3.

I am currently with Unigard and was quoted $1,400 for 6 months of insurance. I am looking for something in the $800 range (my Acura TLX was $700 for 6 months). The TLX was $43k and the 3 is $49k. Not sure why my insurance rates doubled when the value of both cars are similar??

California Car, Homeowners & Renters Insurance | Progressive - California

My 6 month coverage: $795

Liability (across all vehicles) $300.00

Car#1: 2018 Jeep Wrangler =$175 (primary driver's age in lower 50's)
Car#2: 2018 Model 3=$320 (primary driver's age in lower 50's)
Car#3: 2007 MINI Cooper S =$0.00 (primary driver's age in lower 50's)

Should be cheaper if I reduce the coverage below:
10,000 miles annually for each vehicle.

Bodily Injury $250,000/500,000
Property Damage $100,000
Medical Payment $5,000
Comprehensive (-Collision) $500
Collision $500
Uninsured/Underinsured $50,000 / 100,000
Uninsured Deduct Waiver[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Insurance companies are very competitive and your individual quote will depend on a number of unique personal factors (age, location, history, etc.). I'd recommend that you contact as many insurance companies as you can to get quotes. There is not one best insurance company.
After California AAA raised rates on Teslas, I found the best quote for me was Metromile since I don't drive a lot of miles
As they say... YMMV.

Not sure why my insurance rates doubled when the value of both cars are similar??

There are some articles on this topic. Here's one. Teslas are expensive to repair and relatively easy to categorized as a total loss. This translates to high insurance rates.

My own experience: a Tesla-authorized repair shop quoted me over $4,000 to repair a dime-sized dent in my front bumper. Fortunately my Tesla SC took care of it for free.

My gas savings goes directly to my insurance premium.

Wow, this was an eye opener. I just did a quote at Progressive for my two autos (2015 S70D and 2012 GMC Yukon). The progressive quote was 1/2 of what I'm paying at my current insurer. Ouch.

Question: For those with Progressive, how is it? If you have been in an accident, were they OK to deal with? This seems like a no-brainer at this point, unless people have specific pain points with Progressive. Anyone have anything to share? Good or bad, I'm interested in both.

Wow, this was an eye opener. I just did a quote at Progressive for my two autos (2015 S70D and 2012 GMC Yukon). The progressive quote was 1/2 of what I'm paying at my current insurer. Ouch.

Question: For those with Progressive, how is it? If you have been in an accident, were they OK to deal with? This seems like a no-brainer at this point, unless people have specific pain points with Progressive. Anyone have anything to share? Good or bad, I'm interested in both.

Never had a problem, they insure 2 homes, multiple cars, 2 motorcycles, and a RV for us. Left Liberty Mutual and have zero interest in Allstate.

Have not had an accident or ticket in 20+ years. Service is excellent and reliable.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49

The only claim I've made with them was for a rock chip in my windshield. They sent out safelite, they filled it, all was well.

• Helpful
Reactions: thegooch49