Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance refusing to cover some damage from rear end accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what other insurance companies I could try for a reasonable price, however. I'm already paying close to $4,400 every six months total for my policy. My wife and sister are in it, and they're both 18. Other quotes I've gotten were near $15k per year.

Just how many points do you guys have on your licenses? I can't imagine what kind of risk the insurance companies see you as if that's the best(!!) rate you're getting.

Unfortunately, AllState quoted me at $1,225 per month and that's without including an 18 year-old driver. Geico, by comparison, charges me $750 per month for all drivers included. :/

That's actually a good point. I hadn't thought of that, nor looked into it. I may go pick up my vehicle tomorrow to look into it. I didn't see any marks that I remember, but the trunk lid was slightly misaligned (raised) after the accident, so maybe.

How old are you to incur such high insurance amounts o.0??

The claims adjuster took pictures - guaranteed. Ask for copies of the photos. If the crack was there, they will change their tune and cover it. If it wasn't there, they are not responsible to cover it. The Model 3 does have a bit of a reputation for stress cracks in glass.

Unfortunately, AllState quoted me at $1,225 per month and that's without including an 18 year-old driver. Geico, by comparison, charges me $750 per month for all drivers included. :/

Whoa whoa whoa. I was following along up until this point. I had to re-read it a few times. Do you mean per year or per 6 months at least? Did they really quote you $1225 per month? And are you really paying $750 per month?

You mean per year, right, not per month?
Per month.

Just how many points do you guys have on your licenses? I can't imagine what kind of risk the insurance companies see you as if that's the best(!!) rate you're getting.
Zero points. Never been ticketed. Zero at-fault accidents. I had never even made a single insurance claim at the time I got these quotes.

How old are you to incur such high insurance amounts o.0??
23. My wife is 18.

Whoa whoa whoa. I was following along up until this point. I had to re-read it a few times. Do you mean per year or per 6 months at least? Did they really quote you $1225 per month? And are you really paying $750 per month?
Nope. Per month. Would be $14,700 per year and that's without including an 18 year-old.

You should've seen the quotes I got for a Model S a few years ago. Mercury wanted $4,200 per month just for me and the Model S alone. :p

Lots of good advice here. Don't give up.

I would stop saying it happened after you washed the car or it wasn't there at the time of the accident. I would start saying the adjuster missed the crack, or it was a hairline crack caused by the impact that expanded.
Prove it.

Perhaps better to be factual, that the crack was first noticed after the accident, after a short drive.

Small claims court against your insurance company.

No, you won't win against a corporation if you go to trial. (Thank decades of pro-business lobbying).
But that's not why you do it.

You do it because once they receive the summons, you automatically go one level higher on the customer service ladder at the insurance company. You will likely receive a call that they suddenly had a change of heart and an offer to fix the windshield. Waste of their $ to send someone to court with you.

I've done this.. don't be afraid. The most you have to lose is the $20 registration fee or whatever.
Thank you, that's excellent advise! I've never taken anyone to trial before. Would I have any risk of the company counter suing to recover their legal costs afterwards?

Yes you may save some $$ but Geico is the worst once you need to file a claim. All they say is a NO. Might as well as just drive without insurance. Just ask around body shops.
The claims adjuster took pictures - guaranteed. Ask for copies of the photos. If the crack was there, they will change their tune and cover it. If it wasn't there, they are not responsible to cover it. The Model 3 does have a bit of a reputation for stress cracks in glass.
Are they legally obligated to turn over those photos? Would it hurt me if I asked and it wasn't there?

The first adjuster apologized because she may have missed it at the time, and wanted to help, but the insurance refused to let me get a second inspection with them.

Lots of good advice here. Don't give up.

I would stop saying it happened after you washed the car or it wasn't there at the time of the accident. I would start saying the adjuster missed the crack, or it was a hairline crack caused by the impact that expanded.
Good suggestion! Pretty sure all of my prior conversions via phone have already been recorded, however.

Thank you, that's excellent advise! I've never taken anyone to trial before. Would I have any risk of the company counter suing to recover their legal costs afterwards?

Are they legally obligated to turn over those photos? Would it hurt me if I asked and it wasn't there?

The first adjuster apologized because she may have missed it at the time, and wanted to help, but the insurance refused to let me get a second inspection with them.

Good suggestion! Pretty sure all of my prior conversions via phone have already been recorded, however.

Would it hurt you if the damage wasn't there? Well, it would point out the truth. If it was there, they will cover it, if it wasn't, they won't. You know the expression that sometimes the truth hurts? That applies here as well.

You should have the claim number from Geico in your paperwork somewhere. Grab that and head here. I'm not sure what you can do if the claim is already closed, but it is worth a shot. You need to input that claim number and your first and last name EXACTLY as they have it, again, just look at your paperwork.

$14,000 per year for insurance, you can afford a new window if it comes to it :p
I'm currently with Geico, so it's more like $9,000 per year. This is for 5 drivers and 5 vehicles. Coverage for my wife and I is about $300 per month. My parents and sister pay the remaining $450.

Having had replaced the front windshield before for ~$1,000 or so last time, I expect the rear windshield to be more pricey. Enough to pay 4 months or so worth of insurance.

Would it hurt you if the damage wasn't there? Well, it would point out the truth. If it was there, they will cover it, if it wasn't, they won't. You know the expression that sometimes the truth hurts? That applies here as well.

You should have the claim number from Geico in your paperwork somewhere. Grab that and head here. I'm not sure what you can do if the claim is already closed, but it is worth a shot. You need to input that claim number and your first and last name EXACTLY as they have it, again, just look at your paperwork.
Weirdly enough, those inspection photos are actually tiny thumbnails with no way to expand them. Guess I'll have to call the adjuster for the originals.

I'm currently with Geico, so it's more like $9,000 per year. This is for 5 drivers and 5 vehicles. Coverage for my wife and I is about $300 per month. My parents and sister pay the remaining $450.

Having had replaced the front windshield before for ~$1,000 or so last time, I expect the rear windshield to be more pricey. Enough to pay 4 months or so worth of insurance.

Weirdly enough, those inspection photos are actually tiny thumbnails with no way to expand them. Guess I'll have to call the adjuster for the originals.
Are any of the angles correct to see the spot that is now cracked? Multiple angles would be best for you. I know they are thumbnails, but they will give you an idea. I'm surprised you can't click on them to expand.

That's actually a good point. I hadn't thought of that, nor looked into it. I may go pick up my vehicle tomorrow to look into it. I didn't see any marks that I remember, but the trunk lid was slightly misaligned (raised) after the accident, so maybe.

Why are your insurance premiums and quotes so astronomically high? Are you under 25 years old? My Geico insurance is $1140 for 6 months. I switched from AAA (wife’s car, my backup ICE car, and my house are still covered) because my exotic supercar was going to run me $1800 alone for 6 months. *This is also taking into account that I have a point on my record.

Hard for me to even comment, can’t get past the shock that someone is paying $750 per month for car insurance!

A friend in the auto body business for 25 years says Geico is consistently the far worst insurance company he has to deal with. They don’t care about doing the right thing and are ok screwing over their own customers.

For what you are paying a month to drive your car, I’d get something cheaper and wait until your rates go down. I love my M3 dearly but no way I’d pay what you are to have one.
Probably multiple cars and drivers.

We have four newer model vehicles on our policy with every coverage maxed out. None of them are cheap, and three are 4wd or AWD. Clean records and we are middle aged. We pay $230 per month with Wawanesa.

And we haven’t sacrificed service..had two cars totaled (neither our fault and one party at fault was uninsured ) in the last five years...they handled everything great, no complaints.

OP is probably very young and has a bad driving record to boot. If he wants to pay that much to drive guess it’s up to him.

We have four newer model vehicles on our policy with every coverage maxed out. None of them are cheap, and three are 4wd or AWD. Clean records and we are middle aged. We pay $230 per month with Wawanesa.

And we haven’t sacrificed service..had two cars totaled (neither our fault and one party at fault was uninsured ) in the last five years...they handled everything great, no complaints.

OP is probably very young and has a bad driving record to boot. If he wants to pay that much to drive guess it’s up to him.

He’s 23. His wife and her sister are 19 and 18, iirc. And he’s just been in his 3rd accident in his 3 in a year. So you’ve hit every point.

Reactions: afadeev