Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JonB

Oct 31, 2021
UK
Churchill pulled a dirty trick on me just now. Sent an email saying they were not going to renew the insurance on my Lotus. So I went to see some meercats, and discovered Churchill would still insure me after all, but for another tenner on last year's price. This is how they and other insurers are getting around the new pricing regulations that prevent insurance companies penalising the loyal. The filthy swine.

That said, the Lotus is sold so I won't need to insure it anyway. I'm more concerned about my home and Tesla insurance - Tesla in particular because it is with PSA, who are owned by the same gits as Churchill (UK Insurance Ltd).

You have lost me. How is it helping them to refuse to renew?
you either
a) go somewhere else
b) get a new policy as a new customer and pay the new customer price. if the new customer price is £10 higher than you paid last year no law I know of stopping them bumping up your renewal by £10 if that is the same as the new customer price

neither of these seems like a big win for them

Well, it's a sneaky way of getting round the new "price walking" rules. The weasly maggots! Still, it does ensure the loyal aren't penalised by their current insurer, I suppose. As I always shop around the only effect on me is for all premiums to rise - which I don't appreciate one iota.

Always shop around every year on every policy you have - its the only way to ensure you get the best policy and best price, and try more than one comparison site. Those companies that say they don't use comparison sites - like Direct Line are disingenuous as they simply have their sister company offer the policy - so for DL its Privilege - and they all do the same.

All insurers have bought out or created a "legal department" usually a former law firm so you can be sure they will comply with the letter of the law - whilst doing their best to circumvent the spirit of the legislation - in short insurers are simply people that couldn't make it as a banker or politician.

The last big change for insurers was preventing them selling accident details to the ambulance chasers, The practice resulted in inflated claim values and the insurers put the premiums up, Admiral made £17.5 million in 2011 selling those details and the total they made including premium increases were never published. To get around the Law Admiral bought out a law firm Aegis Law - and they continued the ambulance chasing but as they were "In House" the law was complied with because they weren't selling the details.

So expect all of them to create a new "Stunt" for this years changes.

You will also note insurers seem to be opted out of the 2010 Equality Act as their premiums are based on what the Act says are protected Characteristics and to do so is a breach of the law. I do see why and the relevance regarding Age, marital status, sex, disabilities, where you live etc but an Act is an Act and most of us cant just ignore those Acts we don't particularly like..

If you get the impression I don't like insurers ----- your right.

The problem is that once you have an insurer decline to renew your policy, you will presumably need to declare this fact in any future insurance application (for any car, or potentially for any insurance at all) probably making it hard to get insurance through comparison sites forever more, and having to go through a broker (although going through a broker is no bad thing).

Really hoping that Churchill don't start doing this en masse.

The problem is that once you have an insurer decline to renew your policy, you will presumably need to declare this fact in any future insurance application (for any car, or potentially for any insurance at all) probably making it hard to get insurance through comparison sites forever more, and having to go through a broker (although going through a broker is no bad thing).

Really hoping that Churchill don't start doing this en masse.
Some info I found about the declined insurance issue
"If you go back 25 years, then car insurance was dominated by brokers. There were no direct underwriters, let alone internet and you bought via a little High St shop. The brokers rarely had delegated underwriting authority, so they placed your business with an underwriter and gave you a 30 day cover note. This was so that the underwriter could carry out all the necessary checks they needed, that the broker couldn't do and once completed they either accepted you and sent you a full year insurance schedule and policy, or special rating terms imposed or declined you and you started again with another underwriter.

You were only ever likely to be declined if you lied on your proposal.

Modern life & technology have moved things on and the question is effectively in need of an overhaul, in a few years it should read "Have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled by the insurer?" It's still worded the way it is as there are plenty of us still driving who bought policies 25 years plus ago and might have had cover declined or special terms imposed."
from Have you ever had insurance declined or cancelled ... - Page 1 - Speed, Plod & the Law - PistonHeads UK

Another related story:
"it occurred over 30 years ago, and only came about due to the incompetence of a broker selling a policy the insurer for a risk would not cover (my employer) and instead of being sensible and finding me another policy (there was time) argued so long with the insurer and eventually lost - after the policy had started, so it was both refused and cancelled."

A more specifically related question was asked here
"At the end of your policy your current insurer states that you no longer meet their criteria so they decline to provide a quotation for the following year. Does this mean you have been declined insurance?
No. They have changed their criteria for a future policy, so not a declinature.

You ring up to get an insurance quote from a new insurer and get told that they will not provide cover so will not quote. Does this mean that you have been declined insurance?
No. See above.

Halfway through your policy you decide to change your car for something more powerful. Your current insurer does not wish to cover you on this new vehicle so you take your business elsewhere. Does this mean you have now been declined insurance?
No. You are looking to chnage the terms of the policy, the insurer is happy to carry on under previous terms, so not a declinature.
"

From this I believe that you would not be required to say that you had insurance declined if someone didn't provide you a quote/renewal, only in the case of you accepting insurance and then getting declined during their cover period. This of course may not be correct so if anyone has other information on this subject would be useful to know.

Last edited:
From this I believe that you would not be required to say that you had insurance declined if someone didn't provide you a quote/renewal, only in the case of you accepting insurance and then getting declined during their cover period. This of course may not be correct so if anyone has other information on this subject would be useful to know.
Seems to be very unclear, unfortunately. This page argues that it's a grey area, but safer to declare:

Go Compare, on the other hand, seem quite specific that you have to declare:

Whole thing seems to be a mess, but if it were me I'd be sure to speak to any new insurer or broker and make sure they don't regard the situation as a decline.

Not sure if you read what I posted but I was aiming at the definition of declined insurance, you of course should enter information correctly as per that site.

Based on what I have read not being provided with a renewal quote which wasn't requested is not going to be classified as a decline of insurance in the respect of their question about having insurance declined/cancelled the same as getting a quote for a car that they don't insure

Seems to be very unclear, unfortunately. This page argues that it's a grey area, but safer to declare:

Go Compare, on the other hand, seem quite specific that you have to declare:

Whole thing seems to be a mess, but if it were me I'd be sure to speak to any new insurer or broker and make sure they don't regard the situation as a decline.
One of the consumer protection organisations should take a look at this. If you are refused insurance as a tactic, though it is hard to see how they benefit or skirt the new law in the manner described, the insurer is putting your future ability to buy insurance in jeopardy. At a minimum, having to declare that you have been refused insurance is likely to impact your premium cost.

One of the consumer protection organisations should take a look at this. If you are refused insurance as a tactic, though it is hard to see how they benefit or skirt the new law in the manner described, the insurer is putting your future ability to buy insurance in jeopardy. At a minimum, having to declare that you have been refused insurance is likely to impact your premium cost.

Not being quoted or meeting criteria is not a decline of insurance as I mentioned in a post above, I would be ignoring that refusedcarinsurance com website as its sole purpose is a lead generating website.

A similar question was asked here
"At the end of your policy your current insurer states that you no longer meet their criteria so they decline to provide a quotation for the following year.

Does this mean you have been declined insurance?
No. They have changed their criteria for a future policy, so not a declinature."

Not being quoted or meeting criteria is not a decline of insurance as I mentioned in a post above, I would be ignoring that refusedcarinsurance com website as its sole purpose is a lead generating website.

A similar question was asked here
"At the end of your policy your current insurer states that you no longer meet their criteria so they decline to provide a quotation for the following year.

Does this mean you have been declined insurance?
No. They have changed their criteria for a future policy, so not a declinature."
That is a very helpful clarification. When I am asked next time, verbally, if I have ever been refused insurance, I will ask for a definition of that term.
("Good luck with that " I hear you cry).