Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
State Farm will not cover either. My agent's office was genuinely confused about covering a software upgrade - new territory for them. I decided not to get FSD before the price jump so it ended up being a non-issue but it would have been a pain to have to switch insurance companies or find alternate coverage.

An interesting note, if you increase the "value" of the car with a software upgrade, you will increase the extent of damage that they will repair in lieu of totaling, usually determined as a percentage of value. There is always a point where you might wish they totaled rather than be stuck with a repaired extensively damaged car. :D

I would insure it, but the issue needs to be considered, less so if you can claim loss of value if the other party is at fault.

An interesting note, if you increase the "value" of the car with a software upgrade, you will increase the extent of damage that they will repair in lieu of totaling, usually determined as a percentage of value. There is always a point where you might wish they totaled rather than be stuck with a repaired extensively damaged car. :D

I would insure it, but the issue needs to be considered, less so if you can claim loss of value if the other party is at fault.

while that is true, it does mean that if they do declare it totaled, you're out $10K regardless of what you paid for FSD assuming you replace the vehicle and get the FSD again.